PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my hair? Help!

bunnylake
September 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
This is so frustrating! I have this weird frizz/breakage/new hairs I dunno what, all over my canopy and underside of my hair. These shorter hairs that curl up and out and make me look like I have a fuzzy halo. If I use anything to smooth them out, my scalp gets oily faster than it normally would. I COwash and that seems to tame it A TINY BIT. I'm just not sure what it is or what's causing it! I cannot imagine that it's breakage since I am so careful with my hair.
Here's a picture:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/dandelionghost/weirdhairz_zpsda1908a6.jpg

katfemme89
September 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Possibly your hair is curlier than you thought? Mine did this a lot until i finally realized how wavy I really am. Have you tried plopping? Or a moisture treatment?

Mindy
September 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I have the same hair type as you and my hair does the exact same thing. I suspect I might be curlier than I typed myself at because I sometimes get a few stray ringlets.

Madora
September 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Do you always detangle first before brushing (if you brush)? Do you detangle before using a comb?

Mineral oil (also known as baby oil) helps tame frizzies. Plus it is also a very good detangler and leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. It is best used on hair that has been clarified first, but you can use it on damp hair (not soaking wet) or on dry hair.

A little bit goes a long way so start out with 2 drops and see how it works for you.

More about MO here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

rtree721
September 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
My hair does the same thing! But I haven't found the cure yet... I'll be checking in on this thread...

bunnylake
September 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I have plopped, air dried without touching, all the curly girl stuff. Nothing really helps. Its so frustrating!

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
New hairs. They're lighter in weight than other hairs and thus fluff up more.

A have a bajillion of them.

bunnylake
September 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I have not tried mineral oil but I will!
I usually gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, and use a BBB which helps to smooth the frizz for at least a little while.

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Gel rubbed between palms and smoothed over the surface while my hair is still damp helps quite a bit.

PandorasBox89
September 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hey I was watching a YouTube video, I *think* it was kimmatube or African export, she was saying that a more acidic ph make her hair ends align, in comparison to nothing. For example the kimmatube leave in moisturiser is ph 4.5 and that works.. I don't have the link right now as I'm on my phone.

You could try an acv rince?

As for myself I found leaving in lots of my silicone free conditioner made mu hair super soft and to fall nicely (ends together)

sharonluvscats
September 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM
My hair does that too. I have no idea why. I'm anxious to find out!

Ambystoma
September 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Mine too! The ends have a nice natural taper to them so I figure they're new hairs with delusions of curliness. Heat free curls help somewhat since it forces them to curl in the same way as all the rest but the only thing I've found that really (temporarily) fixes it is a flatiron :( boo hiss!

MO gives me shine and makes my ends feel soft but if I put on enough to tame the fuzzies I look like a greaseball. CurlyCap has a good thread here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100736
for a drying method that helps but those really short ones still won't play nice for me.

katfemme89
September 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have some of these, too, but they never really bother me. I like to smother my hair with aloe vera gel while it's wet and leave it, and that seems to help a bit, and then when they pop up again I just spritz with a bit of water and smooth em back down. But like another poster mentioned, it is probably just a bunch of new hairs coming out with delusions of curliness. Don't fret, your hair is still really pretty :)

AnnaJamila
September 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Lol, my hair does exactly the same thing. I've started smoothing oil over damp hair to calm them down but nothing I've found makes them go away completely.

I've always thought it was a combo of breakage (I still sleep without tying up my hair, even though I know I shouldn't :rolleyes:) and new growth.

bunnylake
September 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Will aloe vera gel make my hair crunchy or hard like commercial hair gel does? If it doesnt, I might give that a try.

The hairs on my crown are the most annoying, because it looks like someone snipped random strands right at the top of my head. I guess I'll just let them grow out and it'll be better... right? I hope? aaah!

xoxophelia
September 19th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've been battling this issue also in my (limited) spare time. So far a few things that have helped:
-GF sleek and shine conditioner-it has cones which help weigh down the hair without contributing to greasiness (and actually it seems to be more effective)
-more product-I'm trying about two quarter's size of aloe vera gel with 2 drops of oil mixed in and a small dab of traditional gel
-a moderate amount of EVOO once a week or every other week minimum
-try to keep clumps together as much as possible

The other thing you can try is braid waves. That forces the hairs to follow uniform patterns so it works well.

katfemme89
September 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Will aloe vera gel make my hair crunchy or hard like commercial hair gel does? If it doesnt, I might give that a try.

The hairs on my crown are the most annoying, because it looks like someone snipped random strands right at the top of my head. I guess I'll just let them grow out and it'll be better... right? I hope? aaah!

No, it makes it nice and soft and shiny but with just a bit of hold.

Dandelion6
September 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
They look like new healthy hairs!

theemeraldskull
September 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't think there's really anything wrong with your hair... my hair does that as well, and has been for as long as I can remember. :-) From the replies, it seems to be common with others as well. Not sure what really can be done about it... mine have never grown out, and even my mom still has hairs that stick out from her head like a halo, especially near her temples.

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
They never go away because every single day you shed out hairs that have reached the end of their growth cycles and every single day you grow in a few new hairs. So by the time your current new hairs have enough weight on them to lie down, you'll have a new crop of hairs.

ravenreed
September 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I always have a constant rotation of new hairs that are much more springy than the rest of them. I think of them as my halo. Sometimes they act up more than others, like when I shampoo, or if it is humid... but I think that they are pretty normal for my hair type.

They never go away because every single day you shed out hairs that have reached the end of their growth cycles and every single day you grow in a few new hairs. So by the time your current new hairs have enough weight on them to lie down, you'll have a new crop of hairs.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM
My hair does that too...I have had it for as long as I can remember. My mom thought I was making my hair break off, but the hairdresser said it was just my own weird natural curl lol. My regular hair doesn't curl at all but those weird fluffy hairs curl. It's especially bad if I let my hair air dry down or don't use conditioner and leave-in. I think I have tons and tons of new growth always coming in, so my hair rarely looks completely smooth and sleek no matter what I do to it.

theemeraldskull
September 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM
My hair does that too...I have had it for as long as I can remember. My mom thought I was making my hair break off, but the hairdresser said it was just my own weird natural curl lol. My regular hair doesn't curl at all but those weird fluffy hairs curl. It's especially bad if I let my hair air dry down or don't use conditioner and leave-in. I think I have tons and tons of new growth always coming in, so my hair rarely looks completely smooth and sleek no matter what I do to it.

Ditto. I've pretty much given up having completely flat hair, as the ornery halo hairs always end up poofing out at some point. LOL So I just work with it instead of against it at this point. Haha :D

bunnylake
September 20th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I feel like it makes my hair look so weird and crazy! I wonder if going back to cones would help weigh them down... but then again I don't want to look like a greaseball either.

templeofvenus
September 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
my hair does the exact same thing and I always wonder is it snapped hair frizzing up! but I think its just wavy nature in the hair I do have a bit of natural wave but it isn't curly its just the way my hair is - in the past when it was shorter in a chin length bob i used to flat iron it and that got it flattened down but now that my hair is almost to the shoulder and I air dry this wierd frizz does appear :confused: but i am not resorting to flat iron ever again! I find a teeny amount of coconut oil helps or even my regular conditioner used as a leave in once the hair is dry works. just a teeny amount though smoothed over dry hair - try it it may work and for added info I shampoo and then I use cone free conditioner and coney conditioner I switch almost on a daily basis lol can't ever decide which i like best :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 21st, 2012, 03:20 AM
I have lots of these, they are new hairs with a mind of their own, they often stick out at strange angles. I just let them do their thing. I figure they will grow in their own good time and join the crowd of better behaved hair once they have lost their teenage wildness:D

I do use 2 - 3 drops of mineral oil stoked over damp hair to keep some form of control, though the young ones still do their own thing...

kimberlyjoy
September 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM
My hair does the same thing (minus the curling since it's stick straight - but the ends do poke out all over the place). I always figured they were just baby hairs.