PDA

View Full Version : Bald spots filling back in after post-partum shed

Mindy
September 19th, 2012, 08:17 AM
My daughter is 7 months old. My hair went through a major shed after she was born, leaving me with bald spots above my temples. The hair is finally starting to fill back in, but it looks awful and usually sticks straight up making me look like I have little horns. I know it's only going to get worse over the next several months while it grows out. This has happened after each of my kids were born (this is our 5th) and it's the main reason I've had my hair chopped short every time.

I'm finally pushing BSL and refuse to get it all cut off again. I think I have two options, and I wanted to get some other opinions on what I should do. I can either leave it alone and deal with looking ridiculous while it's growing out. Or I could cut chin-length bangs to try and cover the shorter pieces as much as possible. Or if anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them!

Here's a picture of the current state of my hair:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/rubystarlight/IMG_2075_zps36a3857c.jpg

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Get a little pomade, styling wax, or styling putty and tame those tufts. Continue growing.

Mindy
September 19th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I have tried gel but because of my waves, the little tufts never want to lay flat. Once the gel dries, they are sticking up all over the place again. Hmm, maybe I need to look for a stronger holding product.

Jorja
September 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think you should keep growing, it honestly looks okay to me. Your hair is too nice and shiny to cut back!

chrissy-b
September 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I think it looks fine too but you could also try parting your hair to see if you could cover up those little tufts.

As far as products go, I love KMS Paste (http://www.amazon.com/KMS-Hair-Play-Molding-Paste/dp/B000FP7ZLM). It tames all of my little sprouts without feeling sticky or stiff like gels and mousse do.

Tisiloves
September 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM
If you want a fringe/ face framing layers they might blend in well, but otherwise keep growing, the tufts will be long enough to pin/lay down flat in no time.

lapushka
September 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I'm finally pushing BSL and refuse to get it all cut off again. I think I have two options, and I wanted to get some other opinions on what I should do. I can either leave it alone and deal with looking ridiculous while it's growing out. Or I could cut chin-length bangs to try and cover the shorter pieces as much as possible. Or if anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them!

Cutting it shorter will not make those little ends stick out less. On the contrary, I think it will make them more visible. I'd just try to ignore it the best you can; keep your hair up and try to slick them back with some wax (which is usually stronger than gel).

hermosamendoza
September 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I had the same thing happen except it went on for an entire year! I eventually cut my hair off like the first picture in my siggy. It was the worst decision I ever made, along with that black hair dye!
I found out my problem was low iron. I don't remember doing anything to hide them because I had a LOT of baby hairs so i had a giant halo for months lol.
I did start wearing my hair down the middle so i must have been covering it. I see someone else suggested that too

Mindy
September 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I'm really on the fence about a face framing fringe. I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks and still can't decide. I think it would soften my updos and help hide the regrowth, but then I worry about taking too much off and losing thickness, or not liking it and having to grow it back out.

melusine963
September 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I agree with chrissy-b that adding a parting will do a good job of hiding the horns.

itdontmatter48
September 19th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Keep it growing, by starting over you run the same risk, i agree with some product like wax to tame it for you.

GeoJ
September 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have issues with wavy horns in that spot too. Parting my hair and wearing a bun at the nape helps, because then the longer hairs lay on top of the 'horns' and keep them pushed down. If I pull my hair straight back I need to use headbands, pins, or clips to hold the horns down.

Henrietta
September 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
On the picture you seem to have no parting. What about making one? On the center or sides? You'd have some hair laying on the former bald spots...

Mindy
September 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Parting does help to cover some, but not all of it. I think I will try some styling wax along with a part for now. I will also keep an eye out for some pretty headbands to help cover it. If it gets unbearable I may go ahead with a fringe. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I really appreciate them!

teal
September 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
If it were me I'd probably rock the tufts, but then I've never really fit convention when it comes to appearances. :D

I was going to suggest styling product but others have beat me to it. So I'll suggest a two-pronged approach: styling wax and barrettes. I have small barrettes which don't hold much hair, bought specifically for enforcement of gravitational laws. If you gel the little hairs with longer ones and pin the lot with a barrette or three, you might find you don't have to chop your hair after all. :)

summerjade
September 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I think your hair doesn't look as bad as you think it does. To me it looks fine. I don't think I would cut it, because those hairs that you are worried about will still be shorter anyway. I would leave it long, and make the best of it, with all the great suggestions and ideas friends here have offered. Those short pieces will grow out very fast.

silverthread
September 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I went through a lengthy shed that ended a couple months ago, so I know how annoying those 3" hairs can be when you're trying to pull your hair back. But, I agree with everyone else. Don't cut your hair. Look at it like this: even if you cut your hair, you're going to shed on a daily basis, so you'll always have a few annoying short sprouts anyway. This is no different.

cubedcoley
September 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I am recovering, somewhat, from the post-partum shed as well: my baby is 1 year old. I shed a lot at the temples, but more on the left than right side. I freaked myself out the other night because I lifted my MBL hair straight up at the temples and could see a NOTICEABLE difference in density of hairs on the left side (less hairs and more, well, round bald head type of look) than the right side (where I could not really see the top of my scalp because the hairs were too dense). My solution? Part it on the right only, lay the longer hair over the left (thinner side) and avoid any severe traction on the front of the hair when doing updos. I am gentle and, well, it is what it is. The babies are worth it, as I am sure you will agree, and honestly, your hair is lovely. If you enjoy it, just leave it be! We can be somewhat bald with new baby growth in the temples, together!! :flowers:

rock007junkie
September 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I went through the same thing with my son. Keep it growing. Also, I don't know if you'd be willing to try this but monistat really helped grow the hair fast in those areas.