PDA

View Full Version : LHC way of doing this.. er... 'do? (Pictures inside!)

millyaulait
September 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I have to say, I love this hair do. I'm not really sure what it's called though, hence the pictures.

I'm pretty sure it's done by using curling tongs (BOO, HISS!) so I was wondering if there was a more LHC way of doing this.

I'd love to do it for a special occasion... Or even just for sitting around the house in my jammies with a glass of juice & feeling really fancy. It's all good.

http://bridalmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/megan-fox-peoplestylewatch.jpg

http://ihairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/300px-Megan_Fox_Jennifers_Body_TIFF09_cropped4.jpg

http://primped1.hcdn1.net/images/uploads/zoes_blog/june_celebs/88687757.jpg

Thank you, ladies & gents! :flower:

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Yes! Pin curls!
They will give you this look :)
No heat necessary. You could even use aloe vera instead of hair gel if you wanna be really fancy ;]

You just decide how big you want them to be. I think to get this look you would probably do your pincurls a little bigger, with a little bit more hair in each little section.
Also do each pin curl exactly the same, so you get that S-wave pattern.

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
And if you felt really adventurous..do Finger waves all over your head. I will admit though they are very hard to do. I still can't do them very nicely I will admit...
After you do them you let them dry completely and brush them out.

millyaulait
September 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Thank you, akilinia!

I can't wait to give this a try! :cheese:

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM
This is one of those really classic styles so it is totally doable with no heat. You can completely control the curl too with what kind of base and direction you use.
If you do the curls all in one direction it will do the S but if you do them opposite it will make it more curly and less S wave. When you take it out it will be like in your face curly..that is when you brush it out to smooth the curls out and stretch them a bit. Maybe you could make it fun and have a friend help you with the back :)

eezepeeze
September 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
You can also sleep on rollers overnight if you have trouble with the pincurls. The key to getting that front swoop (called the Marcel wave, by the way) is to curl your bangs/front section forward toward your forehead. All the rest of the rollers should be curled away from your forehead. In my personal experience, pin curls will give you more curl than the model has, and they are prone to frizz. There's a knack to getting them smooth. I have better luck with large velcro rollers or large foam rollers, sleeping on them overnight to set the curl really well. I am actually wearing my hair similar to this for my wedding this Saturday.

eezepeeze
September 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
If you are not adverse to gentle heat, you can use hot rollers to achieve this look with dry hair. I do this all the time before work. I use all the sizes, putting the smaller ones closer to my face.

ladonna
September 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM
This is my everyday hair! pin curl the crown of your head and then split the botton of your hair in half and make 2 sock curls. Or a sock curl for the crown and then 2-3 sock curls for the bottom. Sock curls are done the same as rag curl but with a sock instead. Roll the hair at night when damp and then go to sleep, take out in the morn and you will have beautiful curls that will stretch to waves.

gnome82
September 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
You can also sleep on rollers overnight if you have trouble with the pincurls. The key to getting that front swoop (called the Marcel wave, by the way) is to curl your bangs/front section forward toward your forehead. All the rest of the rollers should be curled away from your forehead. In my personal experience, pin curls will give you more curl than the model has, and they are prone to frizz. There's a knack to getting them smooth. I have better luck with large velcro rollers or large foam rollers, sleeping on them overnight to set the curl really well. I am actually wearing my hair similar to this for my wedding this Saturday.

Oooh I was just thinking that I would like this hairstyle for my wedding :D, if only my hair was longer :(.

eezepeeze
September 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
gnome, I think that this style actually is MUCH easier to achieve if your hair is between shoulder length and BSL. My hair is waist length now and it is challenging to get the correct swoopiness, LOL. I like to use hot rollers in the morning while I put on my makeup, but with my length it is a pain. I am actually considering cutting back to bsl after the wedding, just to make getting ready easier in the morning. I get tired of wearing my hair up everyday.

Natalia
September 18th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Maybe do two damp buns high up on your head? Bun waves used to look like that when my hair was shorter.

piffyanne
September 18th, 2012, 09:55 PM
There are tutorials for this online. Look up the Veronica Lake peek-a-boo if the directions provided by above posters didn't make sense to you.

I used the tutorial by Vividmakeup, and was happy with the results for most of the day (you can see me sporting it in the Show Me Your Historical Hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89087) thread), until the weight of my hair teamed up with my hair's love of matting [it prefers to manifest this phenomenon if I 1) leave it down and 2) care what it looks like that day, provided these two criteria are met simultaneously.] I suspect part of the problem was that I had to take it down before it was entirely dry. My hair takes ages to dry, I “set” it a day and a half before the event I intended to wear it to. :shrug:

The problems were practically inevitable for my hair, but it may work for you, hope it does!! :flowers:

spirals
September 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM
You can do marcel waves with a beak clips, too.

pullanmuru
September 18th, 2012, 11:39 PM
There are so many ways you can create this look. Normal pin curls, finger waves, rollers, and the best is you really don't need heat if you just let your hair dry into curls. You can start with a wet set or halfway dry hair or dry hair that you just dampen a little bit, depending on how long and well you want your curls to last. Wet set curls stay the longest.

You should try different methods to see what works best for you. Finger waving requires some practice so you might want to do practice that beforehand.

With pin curling there are different ways to set the curls in order to create different patterns on the hair. Classic waves are usually created by curling each row of pin curls opposite direction. It's pretty hard to explain without pictures but there are loads of tutorials on youtube, here's a good one for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2Qvfs2Qbk&feature=relmfu

Again this takes some practice to get it right. The most important thing is to make uniform curls that are the same size and not twisting the hair while curling. This is so much easier to do when the hair is wet, especially the ends.

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Great, thank you! Congratulations on your oncoming wedding! :) :) :)

Knowing that it's called a Marcel wave is going to make things so much easier!

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:05 AM
This is my everyday hair! pin curl the crown of your head and then split the botton of your hair in half and make 2 sock curls. Or a sock curl for the crown and then 2-3 sock curls for the bottom. Sock curls are done the same as rag curl but with a sock instead. Roll the hair at night when damp and then go to sleep, take out in the morn and you will have beautiful curls that will stretch to waves.

Thank you! I've never tried pin curls before. :)

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Maybe do two damp buns high up on your head? Bun waves used to look like that when my hair was shorter.

I'll try this! :)

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:07 AM
There are tutorials for this online. Look up the Veronica Lake peek-a-boo if the directions provided by above posters didn't make sense to you.

I used the tutorial by Vividmakeup, and was happy with the results for most of the day (you can see me sporting it in the Show Me Your Historical Hairstyles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89087) thread), until the weight of my hair teamed up with my hair's love of matting [it prefers to manifest this phenomenon if I 1) leave it down and 2) care what it looks like that day, provided these two criteria are met simultaneously.] I suspect part of the problem was that I had to take it down before it was entirely dry. My hair takes ages to dry, I “set” it a day and a half before the event I intended to wear it to. :shrug:

The problems were practically inevitable for my hair, but it may work for you, hope it does!! :flowers:

Thanks so much, how lovely! :)

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:08 AM
You can do marcel waves with a beak clips, too.

Oooh, this is interesting! I'd like to try it this way too. :)

millyaulait
September 19th, 2012, 06:08 AM
There are so many ways you can create this look. Normal pin curls, finger waves, rollers, and the best is you really don't need heat if you just let your hair dry into curls. You can start with a wet set or halfway dry hair or dry hair that you just dampen a little bit, depending on how long and well you want your curls to last. Wet set curls stay the longest.

You should try different methods to see what works best for you. Finger waving requires some practice so you might want to do practice that beforehand.

With pin curling there are different ways to set the curls in order to create different patterns on the hair. Classic waves are usually created by curling each row of pin curls opposite direction. It's pretty hard to explain without pictures but there are loads of tutorials on youtube, here's a good one for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2Qvfs2Qbk&feature=relmfu

Again this takes some practice to get it right. The most important thing is to make uniform curls that are the same size and not twisting the hair while curling. This is so much easier to do when the hair is wet, especially the ends.

Thanks so much! I feel like this might be a bit of a learning process but it might be fun to try something different for a change. :)