PDA

View Full Version : Static?

bbridgie
September 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone, I did a search but couldn't see a thread on Static hair so apologies if there is already one.

My hair has been such a puff ball of static electricity all day - the autumn weather just sends it haywire. Its standing out from my head and sticking to everything.eeek

Does anyone have any suggestions for taming the Static?

I have very straight, fine hair. Don't wear many synthetic fibres or use nylon brushes. I currently have an Aussie, No-Frizz serum on it (but noticed it has cones) - I also have a Fekkai glossing cream. Nothing is helping and i look like a dandelion! :o

DinaAG
September 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM
brushing with a wooden comb always help

Madora
September 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Perhaps mineral oil (aka baby oil) might help. Here is more about it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Be sure to use it sparingly. Works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can use it on damp (not soaking wet) hair, or on dry hair.

The best MO is one that contains only the MO plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective and can cause breakouts.

Tisiloves
September 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Run your hands down your hair after brushing, it should knock some of the static out. I also find conditioners with plenty of cones and glycerine helps, but YMMV.

templeofvenus
September 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
dampen your hands and run them over the hair or spray some hairspray on a paddle brush them brush this through the hair - I sometimes get static and its soooo annoying! I just wonder how it happens cause it isn't there every day!

mzBANGBANG
September 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Try a leave in conditioner and serum combo. Then, spray a little hair spray on your hand (easiest place is the side of your pinky and palm) and pat down the breakage. I have to do this every morning or I, too, resemble a dandelion :)

Stellaaa
September 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have fine straight hair too, or at least I did before it went grey, my grey is coarse and wavy, but nevermind, I had straight fine staticy hair for many many many years. And I worked around and inside the guts of computers, which can be killed by static.

I never wear my hair loose, I find that turns me into a generator. So my tip is confine the dandelion.

Finesse conditioner, the regular not colour treated or moisturizing, was the only thing that worked for me. It is VERY coney. VERY. I suspect that's why it works so well. Other coney conditioners might work, I don't know, I do know none of the fancy-smancy (cone-free) stuff that my hairdresser aquaintences gave or sold to me did. I said for many years that if they ever stopped making the stuff I would have to cut my hair. That and Static Guard applied to hairbrushes and clothes.

But that was before I found this site. I haven't used Finesse in months. Of course, it has been summer and static is rarely an issue in summer, even wearing polyester is possible in summer. This week the weather has snapped into cold mode and I'm wearing wool and my heat is on and I am dreading washing my hair and not using nice slippery cones on it.

I'm hoping oil will help.

bbridgie
September 19th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks everyone - I will try the light MO- or experiment with sweet almond or similar too. I have also been using a tiny bit of mousse and combing out. Maybe we should invent hair weights for the ends, like table cloth weights.:rolleyes:

I have a japanese box wood comb I use. I guess it is just Autumn weather , hmmm the cold fresh air is bringing out the Van de Graf generator in me. I would like to not use cones and harsh hair products if possible but the 'hello meet my girlfriend, lady frankenstein' fresh off the table is not working for me.
:)

I'm off to break more delicate electrical circuitry ...

melusine963
September 19th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Nothing is helping and i look like a dandelion! :o

This is the best (and funniest) desciption of frizzy hair I've ever come across. Infinitely better than my electric socket jokes, so I may have to steal it.

I second Madora's oiling suggestion. Or you could try hair wrapping. I find that if my hair dries neatly brushed back against my skull it tends to behave better for a few days (or until it gets damp).