PDA

View Full Version : Question for Manic Panic-ers :)

linnepinne
September 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi girls and guys!

I tried to search the boards but I had some problems finding exactly what I was looking for. I hope some of you can help.

I just bought my very first tub of Manic Panic today (Ultra Violet and Electric Lizard :D)! And I'm planning to get the underlayer of my hair dyed, so about 2/3 of my hair. But now I have some questions about how to properly care for my new colour.

I know that it won't last very long but how can I make it last as long as possible?

I read that conditioner and oil draws out the colour and will make it fade faster. Does that mean that oiling over night and CO is a no-no? Can I oil in any way? (I love EVOO for my hair.) And what about using conditioner after just a regular wash? Should I avoid it completely? (That might kill my hair! :-()

I read that vinegar rinses helps keep the colour in. Do any of you do that? Can I use lemon rinses instead and get the same result?

And I am also eager to try out soap nuts again. Do any of you have any experience with soap nuts and Manic Panic? I would be so happy if you would share it!

Thank you so very much! :blossom:

abbatabba1137
September 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have had one color of another in my hair since 2009....
Conventional shampoo(for me) stripped the color pretty quick.
Then I switched to an organtic Tea Tree shampoo/condish. The menthal also made it wash out pretty quick.

My current routine has been a diluted mixture of Dr. Bronners peppermint and water(focused mostly on roots and scalp). Followed with a ACV rinse. I premix them and keep them in water bottles in the shower.

My color stays strong for about 1 month and will not be completely faded and ugly for almost 2 months.
I oil with coconut and jojoba regulaly and have never had any problems with color release.

furnival
September 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I use Directions which is very similar to MP and I wash with conditioner only. I can say for definite that shampoo strips loads more dye out than the comditioner does. The rinse water is a deep colour with shampoo and a faint colour with conditioner. I also oil with no problems at all.
I read that CO-washing was the best way to keep the colour as long as possible, and also adding a bit of the dye to your conditioner for each wash.
Good luck! :)

Vanille_
September 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I shampoo and condition without major fading. However, I use Vampire Red which really doesn't ever leave my hair. My roots do fade the quickest and that might be due to washing, but I don't mind the fade too bad and once I'm not lazy (usually a month and a half to two months after application), I redye.

I wash my hair about every three days - CWC. I'm using Ice Shine right now and don't notice extra fading. I used to only wash my scalp, but like I said - it fades faster up there anyway for me and I found the fade difference was much quicker when I did it that way.

Pigfarts
September 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I would switch to CO washing. Shampoo washes the color out super fast. Conditioner actually doesn't seem to.... I oil and condition like crazy, and the color stays in.

And if you want your colors to last longer, I'd suggest a different brand. Manic Panic seems to wash out faster than other funky hair color brands. I personally don't like Manic Panic much.
Special Effects Hair Dye is my favorite because it's bright and it stays in for a long, long time, but you can only get it online.
Jerome Russel's Punky hair color is another favorite because it stays in, smells great, is very conditioning and you can buy it at Ulta. :)

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I would definitely switch to CO, and try to stretch your washes by one day.
Oiling should be fine though. I wouldn't do heavy oiling over night personally, but oil as a leave in would be totally fine.

Also..start rinsing your hair with as cold of water as you can stand. It makes it easier for me if I do the cold rinse in my sink with the spray nozzle...I can direct it right to my head and not do some totally crazy bendy pose in the shower attempting to NOT get my body wet with the freezing water.

linnepinne
September 19th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Great answers! Thank you all so much.

Right, so I'll definetely switch to CO once I dyed then, my scalp does not tolerate normal SLS shampoo anyway. But I might experiment a bit with soap nuts though. Only CO is a bit heavy for my hair (used to do it for months), and I feel like I need to get properly cleaned about once a month or so. But I'll use something milder to cleanse my hair like soap nuts or my favourite sulphate free shampoo.

Also great news that I wont have to give up oiling! I usually do heavy oilings over night, but I guess I can do them a bit lighter and experiment from there.

And thank you Pigfarts for the tip about some other brands. If I feel like MP is not for me I'll have to look into some of those other brands you mentioned.

What about the acidic rinse? Does it help preserve colour, or do you do it because of it's other benefits?
I'll try them, but with lemon as I mentioned earlier. I have done many AVC-rinses in the past, but I really can't get over the smell. It creeps right up if the weather is damp, or if I sweat at all and it makes me feel not so fresh.. I'll do a cold one too as akilina mentioned.

Any other tips for a veggie dye newbie?

RedheadMistress
September 19th, 2012, 05:32 AM
- Conditioner doesn't wash it out nearly as badly as schampoo does, neever use schampoo if you can help it !

The last few years my crazy hair colours last because I only CO . Oiling is ok for me too, but sometimes it depends on how your hair reacts to these things . . only wash with cold water, not hot .

Also I'd suggest trying Directions, it's cheap and really good . (depending on how much you want to spent on these things) .

Personally I mix manic panic, directions and Special FXs dyes all together to make a more personalized shade .

Soap nuts sounds like it would be milder and maybe you wouldnt lose too much colour . . let me know wat happens, i've been thinkking about using soap nuts !

Loviatar
September 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I have found that CO is better for my colour (Special Effects) than shampoo and conditioner. If I feel the urge to shampoo I use a sulphate free kind like LOreal Everpure for Coloured Hair or JASON.

Oil wise I can oil my scalp overnight (I use Vatika and Bhringraj) but heavy oiling pulls colour from the length. The length is damaged though and it is hard to keep colour in.

I am gutted that shampoo bars seem to pull my colour right out - I will try this again when my hair is less damaged and see what happens. I think it is the fact that deposit only dyes like acidity not alkalinity, and bars are very alkaline.

I use cool water to wash my hair (bending over the bath) and a cold final rinse (I use a bit of citric acid granules or lime juice, vinegar makes my hair a bit crunchy) then I get in the shower and wash my body afterwards while my hair is up in a turbie towel.

I would definitely look at Special Effects dyes, the colours are amazing. :)

linnepinne
October 17th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hi guys,
sorry for not answering in such a long while! I ended up putting Manic Panics Ultra Violet in 2/3 of my hair and left the top (canopy I guess) undyed. It turned out great! Since I didn't bleach, it became sort of a dark purple, a colour that made me think of blueberries and milk :)
It's almost all washed out now, but I think CO was definitely the way to go, I lost much less colour that way.

But I discovered that vinegar rinses washed alot of the colour away! I wonder why people give that advice (read it elsewhere online), because when I think of it, vinegar is supposed to be a bit chellating or clarifying right? I would not want that in my hair when I'm trying to keep what's in it, in it right?

Thanks for all of your advice. Right now I'm contemplating whether I'll put in som green (Electric Lizard) or if I'll do some dip dye with pink and orange :)