PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oil saved my life

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Well not literally, but metaphorically speaking.

I had read numerous posts on here about mineral oil and I had never thought of using it before or read about anyone using it, but I have been intrigued as some ladies with the longest and shiniest hair use it and seem to swear by it.

So a week ago I tried it for the first time. Just a couple of drops on wet/damp hair. I then let my hair dry naturally and I cannot tell you how soft my hair felt when dry. Unbelievable! Now, as this was only the first time I used it, I did not want to make assumptions and thought that there could be other contributing factors, so I have tried it twice more. Each time my hair has been left feeling positively silky and shines as though someone is directing a spotlight onto it.

I cannot thank LHC and the ladies (and gents) who suggested trying it enough!

I feel as though I have been searching for something for years and have stumbled upon something cheap and cheerful that is really effective.

Thank you so much. This forum is a wonderful place and I can only encourage others to try out recommendations, because you never know what will work for you!

:flower: :heart:

spidermom
September 18th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I had a mental block against mineral oil but bought some to protect against pool and sea for a recent trip to Mexico. It's very nice. Now I use a small amount on damp hair after washing.

PetuniaBlossom
September 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Yes, as a result of reading about it on this wonderful forum, I tried a few drops of mineral/baby oil on my dry and crackly ends just after CWC, while hair is still sopping wet. They're soft and pliable now. This stuff is great.
I don't wait until the hair is damp to apply it because, since it seals in moisture, I want it to have a lot of moisture to seal in.
I've used it for many years on my dry skin after the shower. When my lips are chapped, it works there too. It's a great hand lotion.
How come I never thought of using it on my hair before LHC? :confused:

StephanieP3
September 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I tried coconut oil a week ago and it worked pretty good for frizz, but if it'll make my hair shiny and silky I need to try this!

MegaMystery
September 18th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I might need to look into this for the winter months :) See if I can find a mineral oil without the baby-smell...

kitschy
September 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I avoided anything even containing mineral oil since the curly hair forums have demonized it. Then I decided "what the heck, I can always wash it out anyway," and I tried about 12 drops on my wet hair from the ears down, avoiding my roots so that my hair wouldn't look oily and flat.

I've been absolutely amazed. I've been using MO for months now, and I am as in love with it as I was the very first time I tried it. It is great for keeping curls moisturized.

Wildcat Diva
September 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM
It's dirt cheap in the health care section sold as a laxative, no fragrance. Under $3 I believe for a big old bottle. But that kind is thicker, I'm told. Seemed to work just fine to me.

PinkyCat
September 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I really wanted it to work for me. I used it for about a month and liked it, but then it stopped working for some reason. It actually seemed to make my hair dry. I winder if its a finey thing?

Cafe au Lait
September 18th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Mineral oil is one of the best things I've taken from LHC. I put it on, sopping wet, over my leave-in conditioner. It seals in all the moisture goodness.

laurend1985
September 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I was told it was bad for your hair anyway I'm will try this tonight.

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I really wanted it to work for me. I used it for about a month and liked it, but then it stopped working for some reason. It actually seemed to make my hair dry. I winder if its a finey thing?

I hope it doesn't stop working for me as I have fine hair too :eek:

I have just been using the aloe vera Johnson's baby oil. So far so good.

Paladin
September 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
How does Mineral Oil compare to EVOO? I've been adding EVOO to my Hello Hydration conditioner every day and the difference it's made in the silkiness of my hair is mind-boggling.

Is MO even better?

GrowingOut
What oil do you suggest using?

lapushka

I had that too, that's why I started switching it out with my serums. It's okay, as long as I don't use it too many times in a row.

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
How does Mineral Oil compare to EVOO? I've been adding EVOO to my Hello Hydration conditioner every day and the difference it's made in the silkiness of my hair is mind-boggling.

Is MO even better?

I have never actually used EVOO so I couldn't say, but I have used, Jojoba oil, coconut oil and almond oil.

Mineral oil (baby oil) seems to have the best effect on my hair. I sort of wanted to like the other oils more as they seem more 'natural', but I am sticking with mineral oil now. Although I will still use the other oils for heavier pre-washing.

kitschy
September 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Perhaps it didn't work because of an interactions with something else you are using as a leave-in or styling aid.

I wanted to see the pure effects of MO so that I could accurately gauge the benefits or detriments, so I used MO alone without anything else - no gel, no leave-in. I think that is why I was so surprised - it worked well all by itself.

Since that first time, I've added back in a leave-in at times, and at times a gel. But usually I don't use anything else but MO.

PinkyCat
September 18th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Kitschy - that is a very good possibility. I always mix my leave-in condish with EVOO in a bottle. So I had conditioner, EVOO, Coconut oil AND mineral oil in my hair all at once.

Madora
September 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Is MO even better?

Well, EVOO has to be washed out and you need to be careful that you don't use too much.

MO only requires a drop or two (for short hair) and doesn't need to be washed out.

I've been hair product phobic for a good many years. Nothing went on my hair but my GM products. I tried EVOO and the results were nice...but mineral oil is fantastic because it does so many things (detangles, provides slip, helps tame frizzies) plus it leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. Many thanks to Ktani for convincing me to try it! Great stuff!

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Well, EVOO has to be washed out and you need to be careful that you don't use too much.

MO only requires a drop or two (for short hair) and doesn't need to be washed out.

I've been hair product phobic for a good many years. Nothing went on my hair but my GM products. I tried EVOO and the results were nice...but mineral oil is fantastic because it does so many things (detangles, provides slip, helps tame frizzies) plus it leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. Many thanks to Ktani for convincing me to try it! Great stuff!

And thanks to Madora because she was one of the ones that made me want to try it!

twoLs118
September 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
It saved mine too! :D I didn't know anything about it either until coming here!!

Glad it worked for you!!

afu
September 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I avoid it for several reasons, because it's a petroleum product which i try not to use when possible, it can cause major shedding from the scalp and also because I CO. But it's great to hear that it works so well for many people :) I used to use it on my horses manes/tails years ago and it was the best thing ever for a tail with a diameter of about 30cm and amazing ability to tangle!
I've not tried it in years and don't want to buy a bottle for one experiment, but I may be convinced to give it a whirl again if anyone has any on hand when I visit!

kitschy
September 18th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I avoid it for several reasons, because it's a petroleum product which i try not to use when possible, it can cause major shedding from the scalp and also because I CO. But it's great to hear that it works so well for many people :) I used to use it on my horses manes/tails years ago and it was the best thing ever for a tail with a diameter of about 30cm and amazing ability to tangle!
I've not tried it in years and don't want to buy a bottle for one experiment, but I may be convinced to give it a whirl again if anyone has any on hand when I visit!

I only CO wash. My conditioner with its surfactants will remove the few drops of mineral oil easily. Probably easier than removing the leave-in and coconut oil and gel that I was using.

I've been using MO since May and I have no problem with buildup at all. I bought one of those 3 oz sized baby oil for $.65. It has lasted me for months.

lunalocks
September 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I am so glad it is working for you!

I have been experimenting with many oils in the past few months. MO (cheap generic baby oil), sweet almond oil, calendula, jojoba, neem, argan and trader joe's lavander oil. All of these oils were pretty expensive except the baby oil, and none of them work as well for my hair. I really wanted to find a more natural product that works as well, but so far baby oil is the one.

I occasionally use the neem for shine during the day, if I am brave enough to brush out my hair.

I use baby oil after every wash to seal in moisture and every night before bunning for bed. Just 2 drops on the ends and length. I bun with the seashell bun on top of my head. I have lovely waves in the morning.

I have very few split ends and the individual hairs are so healthy and strong.

I have discovered that Jojoba oil is a great moisturizer for my hands at bedtime - no more cracked cuticles - as well as around my eyes at night. I think it makes the fine lines disappear.

Mya
September 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM
It may have more to do with the individual tendency of hair to be dry. Porosity maybe? My hair tends to be very dry, and while I find mineral oil excellent for everyday use since it causes pretty much no buildup, I saw it has no moisturizing effect on my hair if I put it on while it's wet.

PinkyCat
September 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
It may have more to do with the individual tendency of hair to be dry. Porosity maybe? My hair tends to be very dry, and while I find mineral oil excellent for everyday use since it causes pretty much no buildup, I saw it has no moisturizing effect on my hair if I put it on while it's wet.

Nope thats not it. My hair is never dry, which is why I noticed it becoming so. I have extremely low porosity also. Oh well. We may never know.

I'll tell ya though - I have replaced ALL my skin moisturizers with MO and have incredible results with it that way.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM
MO is like a miracle oil for me. I put a few drops on damp hair and that keeps it looking great until the next wash! I never knew how to get shine until I tried it, even DH remarked on the difference, the shine and lack of frizziness after I used it for the first time, and he doesn't normally notice hair stuff much...

Amber_Maiden
September 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Glad it worked for you!! :D

Henrietta
September 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM

I had read numerous posts on here about mineral oil and I had never thought of using it before or read about anyone using it, but I have been intrigued as some ladies with the longest and shiniest hair use it and seem to swear by it.

So a week ago I tried it for the first time. Just a couple of drops on wet/damp hair. I then let my hair dry naturally and I cannot tell you how soft my hair felt when dry. Unbelievable! Now, as this was only the first time I used it, I did not want to make assumptions and thought that there could be other contributing factors, so I have tried it twice more. Each time my hair has been left feeling positively silky and shines as though someone is directing a spotlight onto it.

I feel as though I have been searching for something for years and have stumbled upon something cheap and cheerful that is really effective.

Thank you so much. This forum is a wonderful place and I can only encourage others to try out recommendations, because you never know what will work for you!

Fantastic feeling, isn't it? :)
I like MO too. We're still in experimental phase, but I can smell a nice romance coming.

Messyhair
September 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I just starting using it last night as it was recommended to me on here for my tangly ends. I just used 2 drops on dry hair, but didn't find a big difference. Tomorrow I'll try it on wet hair and we'll see how that goes.

moxamoll
September 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I find it works best on damp hair or over a leave-in like the panacea. I love the stuff too!!

Pirate Cat
September 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Ok so what exactly is mineral oil? I heard it's a petro-chemical or byproduct or something and that you shouldn't use it. I am awfully paranoid, though. Why is that bad if it's petroleum based? What does it do?

SugarPlumDreams
September 18th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Pirate Cat -- I'm curious, too!

As Kitschy mention, it's demonized on nc.com, but I'm not really sure why.

I've been using camellia oil with great success, but the PJ in me can't help but wonder what else is out there! :)

RubyTuesday
September 19th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I don't know much about mineral oil and don't know why it would be bad in any way. Hmmmm. Maybe someone can enlighten us? All I know is that it is doing something to my hair and it is all good. Obviously I don't want to harm my hair with chemicals, and so if there was something nasty and damaging in it I would prefer to change to something else.

Although now I love MO I don't want anything else!

Messyhair
September 19th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I did seem to have fewer tangles when I combed my hair out for bed last night. Let's see how it goes when adding it to wet hair today after my shower. My driest ends are on wash days after I take my bun out, so here is the real test!

ouseljay
September 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Mineral oil is a petroleum product, it's a byproduct of gasoline production for one thing. Part of why it's so cheap. The stuff used for cosmetic and medical purposes is purified. That's about all I know, though. I actually like that it's a byproduct, it means that to get the mineral oil I'm using very few resources that wouldn't be used anyway. (Assuming the purification process is fairly resource-light, which I think it must be otherwise the price would be higher. If anyone knows differently I'd be interested.) Unrefined mineral oil is carcinogenic, which may be why some people are put off by it.

It's great for my (wavy) hair and Other's (very curly) hair. Makes it soft and shinier than otherwise. I can even go without conditioner when I use it! *gasp* Never thought I'd be able to say that. If I use it after a cone-y conditioner, though, things get nasty and sticky and tangly.

afu
September 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
One of the bad things about MO is that is can block pores, on the scalp this can cause major shedding.

One thing that puts me off using it is that I revive my curls each day by wetting my hands a few times and scrunching the water through, followed by a little conditioner also scrunched though - makes my curls bounce back better than anything after being slept on. MO is a very good sealant so I'd be worried that if I used it then my curl revival routine would no longer be effective.

Madora
September 19th, 2012, 07:35 AM
One of the bad things about MO is that is can block pores, on the scalp this can cause major shedding.

One thing that puts me off using it is that I revive my curls each day by wetting my hands a few times and scrunching the water through, followed by a little conditioner also scrunched though - makes my curls bounce back better than anything after being slept on. MO is a very good sealant so I'd be worried that if I used it then my curl revival routine would no longer be effective.

I do not understand how "mineral oil can block pores on the scalp" and that it can cause "major shedding".

You only use a drop or two if you have short hair. I use 4 and never had any issues with blocked pores and major shedding.

I rather doubt Johnson and Johnson would include MO in their baby oil if it blocked pores!

ouseljay
September 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Is blocking pores distinct from being comedogenic? There's at least one article that found that mineral oil is not actually comedogenic, as is often claimed. WebMD summary because the article itself is locked down: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/news/20050527/mineral-oil-cleared-of-pimple-rap and the article itself: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2005.00150.x/abstract (I haven't actually read the article, I can't get access to it, so I only know what the science news sites reported about it.) Maybe when you use it after washing, it blocks the pores, keeping bacteria out so it doesn't cause zits (but also possibly causing hair fall if you use it on the scalp, but I don't know that mechanism, nor why you'd use it on the scalp)?

afu, it sounds like it might not work with your routine, but I wonder if you actually might not have to scrunch as much if you used it? I suppose it would partly depend on how often you wash.

kitschy
September 19th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Scare tactics. We are telling you that we use it with no bad effects. We've used it on our babies for generations - no bad effects. We use in in all kinds of products, so we are expected now to believe that on its own it is somehow going to make our hair fall out?

My hair is curly. It revives just fine in the morning. I've used EVOO, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil. They all work well. This one works better for me. If you decide to try it, use it in place of the other oil in your routine - don't add it to many other oils, you'll get over oiled.

What is the big deal? If you don't want to use it, fine. I wonder why you guys come on these threads with scary "facts" when you have not tried it and won't listen to those who have.

It works.

Quenhilde
September 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hmmm Ktani's research into Mineral Oil found that MO didn't clog pores. Her articles here about it have many links to research that has been done if you wish to check them out:

Ktani's article linking the research about whether Mineral oil clogs pores or causes spots (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=231)

Ktani's article about using Mineral oil on hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225)

She does seem to have really done her homework on the matter.

Madora
September 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
More from Ktani re: mineral oil safety:

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/06/current-mineral-oil-safety-links-2012.html

Jorja
September 19th, 2012, 09:15 AM
And thanks to Madora because she was one of the ones that made me want to try it!

Seconded! :applause

I love it, it's so light but works so well. I say 'pah' to the coconut oil - I choose the mineral oil!

lapushka
September 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I even use mineral oil, well a product containing lots of petroleum jelly (Nivea blue tin), on my face daily, in quite large amounts. I have *very* dry, acne prone skin (yes, quite a combination) and it doesn't flare up my acne, on the contrary, it has calmed my face right down. So no, I don't believe all the hoopla concerning mineral oil products. I think they are more than okay and have proved themselves time and again.

MrsGuther
September 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Just tried the mineral oil today after I washed my hair. I didn't see that much of a difference, but my hair did dry nicely and doesn't seem frizzy. So I give it two thumbs up!

ravenreed
September 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
My hair hates MO but my skin loves it. Every time I shower, I use it on my legs and feet. It is absolutely the best oil for sealing in moisture.

Madora
September 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thank you, RubyTuesday and Jorja! I'm delighted MO worked for you and you are pleased with it.

breezefaerie
August 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I am reviving this old thread, to add my MO experience.

I have been a coconut oil lover and user for years now - on my face as OCM, on body as moisturizer and on my hair. Loved it on my face and body but never got quite the results I was looking for on my hair.
The closest I came was using it in an oil shampoo but it built up too quickly and I had to clarify almost every other wash. The high sulfate content in my shampoo of choice did not agree with my scalp, so I put that method off to the side and went back to Conditioner only washing. Great for my scalp but my hair was never that shiny.
That's my backstory in a nutshell.

So, I've been reading about MO and decided to give it a try on my fine, thin 1b hair. The first time I used it was over a deep conditioner and left me with lank but soft and shiny hair. Yesterday I shampooed with diluted shampoo, no conditioner and followed with a few drops of MO.
Today I am in love with my hair! Soft and shiny which was what my goal was!

lapushka
August 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM
So, I've been reading about MO and decided to give it a try on my fine, thin 1b hair. The first time I used it was over a deep conditioner and left me with lank but soft and shiny hair. Yesterday I shampooed with diluted shampoo, no conditioner and followed with a few drops of MO.
Today I am in love with my hair! Soft and shiny which was what my goal was!

Yay! I'm happy for you that it worked. I love MO as a replacement of my silicone-serums.

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
You don't find it sticky? I tried it once...

lapushka
August 29th, 2013, 02:56 PM
You don't find it sticky? I tried it once...

It's key not to use too much. One to two drops is *more* than enough!

breezefaerie
August 30th, 2013, 06:48 AM
No, not sticky at all.
I changed up my routine a little. I shampooed with oil shampoo (very diluted shampoo and coconut oil) followed by the MO.
Today my hair is practically perfect.

The goal is to use just a tiny bit. I pour some into the cap of the MO bottle and dip my fingertips in, then run my hands down the length of my hair. I'm probably using about 2 drops for my whole head.

kitschy
August 30th, 2013, 06:53 AM
My hair is coarse and curly so I can use about 6 to 8 drops. I have been doing so for over a year now. No buildup, no scalp problems, just nice hair.

nobeltonya
August 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I can't use mineral oil on my hair :/ it tangles and feels dry.. my husband bought me this oil with amla and brahmi, but it was 63% mineral oil.. even on damp hair, it'd be soft until it dried. Now I've finally got more pure coconut oil, and after seeing a youtube video and asking my husband about it (Indian), I boiled he coconut oil with curry leaves. This was interesting.. seems to make it smell less strong, and stayed liquid longer. Last night was my first application, so we'll see how it does. :disco:

Leeloo
August 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I thought mineral oil was hard to wash out, so it would work for a while but then will stop working and make your hair feel dry, unless you clarify. I’m thinking about trying out one of those amla oils with mineral oil now.

goldcopperbrown
August 30th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Not to be a buzzkill, but I thought the issue with mineral oil was that it clogged the scalp pores or locked moisture out of the hair shaft? If I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me because I would love not to avoid it anymore, lol

breezefaerie
August 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I don't put it on my scalp, just the length so I can't help you there.

Mineral oil acts as a sealant of sorts. It's not a humectant at all but keeps my ends soft when applied to wet hair.

AshtangiPNW
May 7th, 2020, 02:12 PM
I even use mineral oil, well a product containing lots of petroleum jelly (Nivea blue tin), on my face daily, in quite large amounts. I have *very* dry, acne prone skin (yes, quite a combination) and it doesn't flare up my acne, on the contrary, it has calmed my face right down. So no, I don't believe all the hoopla concerning mineral oil products. I think they are more than okay and have proved themselves time and again.

This (super old) post has completely convinced me to try mineral oil. I use a product containing lots of petroleum jelly (a Cerave healing ointment) on my dry, acne-prone skin, too! It's fantastic over a moisturizer. I haven't been using a leave-in over the past several months so hopefully this will help to seal in some moisture. Has anyone had good experiences with mineral oil long term?

blackgothicdoll
May 7th, 2020, 02:23 PM
MO is fine for me, petroleum jelly, a vital component of "hair grease", is thick, sticky, and takes multiple sulfate washes to remove (in my experience). Even though one is a solid form of the other, I would advise against using them interchangeably and just try MO. Plenty of products have it, including baby oil.

lapushka
May 7th, 2020, 03:17 PM
This (super old) post has completely convinced me to try mineral oil. I use a product containing lots of petroleum jelly (a Cerave healing ointment) on my dry, acne-prone skin, too! It's fantastic over a moisturizer. I haven't been using a leave-in over the past several months so hopefully this will help to seal in some moisture. Has anyone had good experiences with mineral oil long term?

I have used it for as long as the baby oil lasted (so that's a bottle's worth), consecutive weeks, for I'd say over a year. And it was fine. I actually miss it. I have been emptying out my container of neem oil by Dr Hauschka which is a blend of natural oils, and I actually miss my mineral oil. I have a massage oil to go to (mineral based) after this neem oil, and I will be super glad!

MusicalSpoons
May 7th, 2020, 04:03 PM

Oh how very interesting - I've been having to avoid dimethicone in creams and lotions but come to think of it, a dr a while ago recommended Vaseline and I couldn't use because it was too sticky. But baby oil might be worth trying.

My hair's been static and drying out a bit quicker recently so if I can find my bottle of baby oil I might experiment on my hair too. I used to use it for the ROO method but found it was less forgiving than plant oil so went back to those instead. Hmmmmmmm. :hmm:

Bri-Chan
May 7th, 2020, 04:36 PM
I saw mineral oil as the worst cosmetic ingredient ever few years ago (I only used organic things) but trying something I totally changed my mind. Mineral-oil based body creams are amazing for my very dry skin. They leave it soft but not oily.
For hair, I have a leave in conditioner with mineral oil. Now I use it as before wash detangler, but I used it as leave in in the past and it works very well. Again, soft but not oily or greasy.

purple_omelette
May 7th, 2020, 05:32 PM
I'd never heard of mineral oil for hair until joining this community. Will have to give it a try sometime :O

lapushka
May 8th, 2020, 04:42 AM
I'd never heard of mineral oil for hair until joining this community. Will have to give it a try sometime :O

Remember never on the scalp (very hard to get out) & less = more. Just a couple drops is more than enough, especially when used as a leave-in! No joke!

AshtangiPNW
May 11th, 2020, 11:34 AM
MO is fine for me, petroleum jelly, a vital component of "hair grease", is thick, sticky, and takes multiple sulfate washes to remove (in my experience). Even though one is a solid form of the other, I would advise against using them interchangeably and just try MO. Plenty of products have it, including baby oil.

Thanks so much for mentioning this! :D I think that I would have been tempted to use the cerave ointment at some point....but I'll definitely steer clear.

I have used it for as long as the baby oil lasted (so that's a bottle's worth), consecutive weeks, for I'd say over a year. And it was fine. I actually miss it. I have been emptying out my container of neem oil by Dr Hauschka which is a blend of natural oils, and I actually miss my mineral oil. I have a massage oil to go to (mineral based) after this neem oil, and I will be super glad!

That's nice to know that it worked well for you. It is a very cost effective oil! A whole bottle is only a few dollars. My BF has a huge gallon of it in the kitchen for oiling cutting boards so I just used a tiny bit of that.:D I took note of your tip not to use it on the scalp, too. It's really a perk that it does not prompt any skin problems....Did you use the MO for ROO or as a leave-in?

Oh how very interesting - I've been having to avoid dimethicone in creams and lotions but come to think of it, a dr a while ago recommended Vaseline and I couldn't use because it was too sticky. But baby oil might be worth trying.

My hair's been static and drying out a bit quicker recently so if I can find my bottle of baby oil I might experiment on my hair too. I used to use it for the ROO method but found it was less forgiving than plant oil so went back to those instead. Hmmmmmmm. :hmm:

If it's pure mineral oil, it might be worth a try! I really like the added occlusive. That's one of the top ingredients in the ointment that I use. The Cerave ointment definitely contains dimethicone, but it is far less sticky than vaseline. I really love silicones in my skincare products, even though I currently avoid them in conditioners/shampoos. I've avoided them mainly due to sensitive scalp (i.e. not using harsh shampoos).

One of the reasons that I wanted to try mineral oil is because the plant oils (especially coconut oil) sometimes cause some clogged pores if I use them on my hair as a leave-in. I had totally abandoned using a leave-in. Now that you mention it, ROO with those same oils would probably work well. By "more forgiving", do you mean that you could use a few more drops of the plant oils without the oily look kicking in?

I saw mineral oil as the worst cosmetic ingredient ever few years ago (I only used organic things) but trying something I totally changed my mind. Mineral-oil based body creams are amazing for my very dry skin. They leave it soft but not oily.
For hair, I have a leave in conditioner with mineral oil. Now I use it as before wash detangler, but I used it as leave in in the past and it works very well. Again, soft but not oily or greasy.

That's really good to know! I've definitely had the same experience with skincare so hopefully it will work well in haircare.

lapushka
May 11th, 2020, 03:36 PM
That's nice to know that it worked well for you. It is a very cost effective oil! A whole bottle is only a few dollars. My BF has a huge gallon of it in the kitchen for oiling cutting boards so I just used a tiny bit of that.:D I took note of your tip not to use it on the scalp, too. It's really a perk that it does not prompt any skin problems....Did you use the MO for ROO or as a leave-in?

Baby oil is a "lighter" form of mineral oil though. The laxative that you can get in the store (fragrance free) is heavier. So be mindful of really using just a couple drops.

I only use and used it for an oil rinse. After the wash I use a silicone serum.

Shorty89
May 11th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like it? My hair feels greasy, tangly, and looks awful no matter how little I use! I much prefer coconut or almond.

lapushka
May 11th, 2020, 04:50 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like it? My hair feels greasy, tangly, and looks awful no matter how little I use! I much prefer coconut or almond.

We can't all like the same things. It is what it is. :shrug:

I can't use coconut oil, for instance; turns my hair brittle and crunchy even the fractionated coconut oil.

purple_omelette
May 11th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Remember never on the scalp (very hard to get out) & less = more. Just a couple drops is more than enough, especially when used as a leave-in! No joke!

Thanks for the tip! :) :)

lapushka
May 12th, 2020, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the tip! :) :)

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

I used to see Madora say just the same, she used MO as a "conditioner", I believe, and used 2 drops or so, that and not much more, I don't think. And she had much longer than classic length!

Amy-Lee
October 3rd, 2020, 05:09 AM
My mother used it on my hair when I was a little girl and it always left my strands really soft. Fast forward almost 30 years, I've decided to try it today. I cannot believe how amazing my hair feels. It made my comb glide through like butter. Jojoba was my favorite, but not anymore. I'm using baby oil from now on. :happydance:

sipnsun
October 3rd, 2020, 05:50 AM
I used to warm baby oil and use it as a hot oil treatment before shampooing while in high school. I haven't tried it in my hair in over 20 years so I think I should give it another try. I remember that I was never oily afterwards and my hair absorbed it great but when my cousin with low porosity, oily virgin hair tried it hers was like an oil slick lol. We had to wash her hair in the sink with Dawn to get it out!

Bat
October 3rd, 2020, 06:57 AM
I want to give this a try too

hennalonghair
October 3rd, 2020, 08:43 AM
Madora from here used to swear by it. I miss her and hope she is ok.

Dark40
October 3rd, 2020, 08:06 PM

Yes, I've always known of mineral oil being very beneficial for the hair for many years! It does give your hair lots of shine. I I think it's almost like your natural oils, and also Jojoba Oil. I use Jojoba Oil along with one of my conditioners as a leave-in at times, and boy I do have to say...I leave it in for a day, and wash it out the next day my hair looks and feels very nice, soft, and shiny!

Dark40
October 3rd, 2020, 08:10 PM
I used to warm baby oil and use it as a hot oil treatment before shampooing while in high school. I haven't tried it in my hair in over 20 years so I think I should give it another try. I remember that I was never oily afterwards and my hair absorbed it great but when my cousin with low porosity, oily virgin hair tried it hers was like an oil slick lol. We had to wash her hair in the sink with Dawn to get it out!

Oh, I would love to try baby oil as a hot oil treatment! I've heard you can do that. Instead of using any other kind of grease to heat up to do a good solid hot oil treatment. I've always thought that your hair wouldn't absorb the baby oil at all. Or, that it wouldn't condition or moisturize it as something like vasaline would. But, I really wouldn't recommend using anything like petroleum jelly or vasaline. Because, it will stop up your drains and plumbing!

lunalocks
October 3rd, 2020, 08:44 PM
I use generic baby, a few drops, on my ends and some length when damp after washing, and sometimes at night, same places, before bunning. I use "generic" instead of the brand J and J because generic is lass scented.

GordonMurphella
October 4th, 2020, 03:54 AM
Mineral oil as an ingredient has always worked for me. The old Nexxus Humectress (like many years ago, before it went DS) for example. And beg to differ with some of the previous posts ... mineral oil is mineral oil. There's no lighter or heavier to it.

Oh, also :) I sometimes use a wipe of Lubridern, what's left on my hands, as a leave in. Mineral oil again. YMMV as always, but thought I'd pitch in.

truepeacenik
October 4th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Madora from here used to swear by it. I miss her and hope she is ok.
Has anyone heard from her?
I met her once at a Bay Area meet. A very rare occurrence to see her.

Dark40
October 4th, 2020, 09:12 PM

Yes, she was just on here yesterday.

HeidiB
October 5th, 2020, 03:59 AM
Hello,

I do use MO but not the J&J's version because it's unavailable where I live. I heard it's lighter, and the MO I use is in fact quite thick. What can I do to make my MO less heavy ? Do you think diluting it with water could work ?

I really like what MO does to my hair, but I feel like my thin strands would prefer a lighter MO...

lapushka
October 5th, 2020, 04:17 AM

I wonder about her too. I hope she's OK. :)

Dark40
October 5th, 2020, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I do use MO but not the J&J's version because it's unavailable where I live. I heard it's lighter, and the MO I use is in fact quite thick. What can I do to make my MO less heavy ? Do you think diluting it with water could work ?

I really like what MO does to my hair, but I feel like my thin strands would prefer a lighter MO...

I really think since your hair texture is fine I do agree with you that you need to use a more lighter MO than a heavy one.
Yes, you can dilute it with water that should work! I mix jojoba oil with water and one of my cheap favorite coney-conditioners all of the time, and it really works my hair wonders!

lapushka
October 5th, 2020, 04:40 PM
I really think since your hair texture is fine I do agree with you that you need to use a more lighter MO than a heavy one.
Yes, you can dilute it with water that should work! I mix jojoba oil with water and one of my cheap favorite coney-conditioners all of the time, and it really works my hair wonders!

Just water will not dilute an oil; I suspect because you throw in a conditioner that it does that, but... water and oil do not mix.

Dark40
October 5th, 2020, 08:14 PM
Just water will not dilute an oil; I suspect because you throw in a conditioner that it does that, but... water and oil do not mix.

Yeah, I already knew that water and oil don't mix. It's been okay because I throw in a conditioner.

HeidiB
October 6th, 2020, 02:47 AM
I didn't remembered it at the moment but in fact water and oil don't mix ^^ I think about adding MO to my conditioner or shampoo, maybe it could do the trick

DarleneH
October 6th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Thank you for bumping this! I see some comments that this might act as well as silicones to help with detangling. I was about to go buy some 'cone products but I'll try baby oil first, which I adore the scent of anyway. I just hope I can hit that happy balance of "enough to detangle and add slip" and avoid "grease pit".

knobbly
October 6th, 2020, 11:21 AM
I posted a thing on the other baby oil thread, but just commenting here to say that the thing I like most about using MO is that my ends stay moisturized throughout the week (I wash 1x a week, sometimes once every 5 days) and I don’t need to add anything else throughout the week unless I want to. Also since MO is less sticky than natural oils, I have less lint in my hair. I’m a fan!

I’ve used it as my sole leave-in and mixed it with a Nightblooming salve. Both work great; I prefer using with the salve because I like how pliable my ends stay with the emollients in addition to the occlusive nature of the MO.

cat11
October 6th, 2020, 01:19 PM
You're welcome! :thumbsup:

I used to see Madora say just the same, she used MO as a "conditioner", I believe, and used 2 drops or so, that and not much more, I don't think. And she had much longer than classic length!

I miss seeing posts from Madora her hair and patience are/were magnificent

Priska
May 23rd, 2023, 05:03 PM
I'm so happy to find out that baby oil in our local store should be totally cruelty free, so I was able to try this praised product too! I can say at least that it solves tangles greatly! (I wish I someday learn to avoid tangles...) I have not tried it otherwise yet because I have so many treatments in line waiting for their turn...

Sorry to bump this old topic up, but this title was just so best!
*Edit* oh the last answers were not that old... :)