PDA

View Full Version : Good hair salon experience!

goldloli
September 18th, 2012, 06:17 AM
About 10 months ago I got hime bangs and let my hair guy cut off the 'dead' ends, which ended up going from waist to bsl. The bangs were also weirdly cut too high. I felt so ugly i wore my hair up for 5 months and/or flat ironed to make it look longer.

Heres the good:

I've been thinking about an actual salon cut for a couple months now. Velcro ends and grown out bangs were making me unable to enjoy my hair. I remembered that once upon a time, the said hairdresser gave me cool bangs and actually took off an inch. There was a reason he was my fave hair guy...

So I impulse called. That same day he booked me in. I told him how I honestly felt about the last cut and he promised to ignore the reverse v and patchy ends, only taking off what I requested. He wasn't annoyed or bitchy about it.

To my surprise he was very gentle with the hair, bar some yanking of a comb, he also took off less than an inch and still managed to even up my self trim attempts. I was so surprised when i looked at the small trimmings on the floor :applause It was also decided that instead of giving just one full cut (which costs more) I would have a series of dry cuts to get me where I want, where he gradually cuts away the damage and reshapes the bangs/gives u shape ends.

So yeah now I have someone to do my microtrimming for me. Sorry if this isn't written the best, it's morning. It's just a really good feeling to know that you have someone to do your hair that isn't going to sabotage your efforts or overcharge you for the privilege. I think the key was that he understood that for me, length was more important than 'health', cutting off the full extent of 'dead' ends might look better but will make me deeply unhappy with my appearance.

The hairdressers name is scott, at luke anthony salon in birmingham uk.

spidermom
September 18th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Fabulous; I'm glad you got what you wanted.

goldloli
September 18th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks spidermom!

I'm thinking next time I might get layers touched up to give the curl some umph like you did. I also suggested to him that there are a lot of girls wanting a long hair friendly salon, it's niche that isn't filled here.

ARG
September 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Good for you for telling him how you felt. Its great that you turned a bad expierence into a good one.

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yay!! Love hearing this! I am happy for you!

That is totally great that you actually TOLD him what he did wrong last time!

I suggested this exact same thing to some "i hate hair dressers they are all retarded" thread someone made.

Everyone bashed my idea and thought I was crazy or something...

I think it is a great idea to let them know. I like to hear what I can improve on...It really does help me give the person what they really want.

I think that most would take this as good constructive criticism.

I can't see any stylist I know going all psycho and intentionally giving you an even worse cut after you telling them what went wrong last time. If they do, they obviously have some other underlying personality issues and can't handle a little constructive criticism/are very childish.

When someone tells me what went wrong last time, I strive MORE to give them something even better. :) I am happy you spoke up and said something to him :D
Also happy you got exactly what you wanted this time. :]

I wish threads like this one got more love...instead of the "hair dressers suck" threads getting 10+ pages of bashing.

On the other side of things though, I do also wish other stylists didn't give the good ones such a bad name though.

longforthis
September 18th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I trim my own hair; having curly, I can afford messing up a little, since it rarely gets noticed.

But when thinking about going to a salon, I discovered a "Rapunzel" hair salon. They expert in micro-trimming, maintaining long hair, and helping women grow their hair out. They say when you make an appointment, to have the day open because one visit can last 4 hours.

They have the first initial session to talk with you, to discover what your hair is like, your preferences, goals, etc. They even do specialty hair do's for special occassions special for long hair! It sounded lovely! Too bad I couldn't afford it. LOL It does cost a lot initially. xD But I'm very lucky to have a salon like that so close to me, so if I ever need it it's there. :D

Vrindi
September 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm glad you had a good experience! I've had a couple of hairdressers in the past who did an EXCELLENT job on my hair and gave me exactly what I asked for. It's been the few terrible ones who give the rest a bad name. The last time my hair was this long, my sister booked me with her stylist, who literally called someone in off the street to see my hair! He was so careful with it and only took off the tiniest bit, no length, and gave me perfect layers. Stylists who understand long hair do exist! They're just a little hard to find sometimes.

spookyghost
September 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I love hearing good salon experiences! There are too many bad experiences and we need to hear more good ones!;)

Kinth
September 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I am so glad you had a good salon experience. :3

Are bad salon experiences common? I've never had trouble w/ my hair dresser. I ask for no more than an inch off at each trim (and remind her that I *know* that won't get rid of all the dead ends) and she does it. I don't think I've ever had an experience where the hair dresser cut off more than I wanted.

MinderMutsig
September 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
That's great! Just goes to show a little communication goes a long way.

Now you have one of those sought after long hair friendly hairdressers and he has a regular and satisfied customer.

AnqeIicDemise
September 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I trim my own hair; having curly, I can afford messing up a little, since it rarely gets noticed.

But when thinking about going to a salon, I discovered a "Rapunzel" hair salon. They expert in micro-trimming, maintaining long hair, and helping women grow their hair out. They say when you make an appointment, to have the day open because one visit can last 4 hours.

They have the first initial session to talk with you, to discover what your hair is like, your preferences, goals, etc. They even do specialty hair do's for special occassions special for long hair! It sounded lovely! Too bad I couldn't afford it. LOL It does cost a lot initially. xD But I'm very lucky to have a salon like that so close to me, so if I ever need it it's there. :D

There's a Rapunzel salon near my home too but I've had some horrible experiences at the smaller salons I'm super afraid to go in and try. I only gave the salon I work for the benefit of the doubt because, well, I've seen their work and know how much training they go to. (Doesn't matter how long a person's worked in the field they have to audition and THEN go through a 6 month training program.)

As much as I love my crew I sometimes just want a microtrim. I guess I'll have to pop on by and see if they're long hair friendly.

jacqueline101
September 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm glad your experience was great. I like happy endings.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM
The hair dresser I went to in the mall always did what I asked her to do (well the 2xs I saw her) and growing up our hair dresser was a family friend who always listened to us too. I have never had a bad experience with a hair dresser, but then again I was never super worried about my length and had just always wanted them to cut off inches because I rarely got it cut.