PDA

View Full Version : How to describe difficult hairstyles

Natalia
September 18th, 2012, 02:40 AM
This occured to me as i was watching many youtube videos for new bun options and after watching enough of them i started to figure out some of the buns that had me stumped.

Take spidermoms bun that stays i did it once a long time ago after much effort and ended up giving up on it since i could never get it right without being in front of the computer. Now i know its pretty much a split bun but with two loops :doh: and now i can do it with ease :D.

Or the hypno swirl, do a cinnabun deconstruct the loop and twist then flip. I really wish i had figured those out sooner and i could have had so much more variety!

Anyone else have some simplified explainations of fun hairstyles? Wish there was a comment section under each article for this stuff.

melusine963
September 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm pretty useless at following written updo instructions, and even more useless at making them. Youtube is my saviour when it comes to being creative. Hopefully someone will comment with some good instructions for you.

Natalia
September 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty useless at following written updo instructions, and even more useless at making them. Youtube is my saviour when it comes to being creative. Hopefully someone will comment with some good instructions for you.

Im decent at directions but the over this under that pull this loop thing im hopeless at. Youtube is amazing but i cant always make them stick till i have a way to explain it to myself its like tying shoes lol. Do you have a youtube channel id love to check it out.

Madora
September 18th, 2012, 11:07 PM
The secret to arranging long hair is to section it. Many buns can be achieved by simple sectioning..i.e.

Detangle all hair

Make a horizontal part from the top of the right ear around the back of the head to the top of the left ear

Take all the hair above the part, comb it out gently, then braid and tie off with a hair friendly elastic

Coil the braid in a bun, pinning with hairpins (not bobby pins) as you go.

Take the remaining hair, comb it out gently, and braid it. Take the braid and wind it around the braid bun already made, pinning as you go.

Voila...a double braided bun.

Variations: double cinnamon bun, double rope braid bun, double twist bun, cameo bun, or variations of two types (i.e. braided center bun surrounded by a rope bun braid.

Sectioning allows you to wear your hair comfortably because it distributes the weight of your hair, instead of concentrating it in one spot.

Henrietta
September 19th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I keep written instructions of updos that I like. Most of them are "transcribed" from pictures or YT videos. (By "transcribed" I do not mean writing down what the person in YT video says. That would not be enough at all. I describe all the moves in my own words that are usually different than what is being said. Mainly because I describe results of each stage. On a video, those are visible. So if I don't know HOW do to something, maybe writing WHAT I should end up with will help me, if in several weeks I forget how to do a style. Like "There should be 1 ponytail on the left and two smaller ones under it." or something.) Many come from written instructions, too, but it's minority. I translated it all into Polish, since none of it came in PL originally... So most of them sound silly :D Maybe I'm not used to Polish hair vocab, but still :D Once I've forgotten to take one page from printing place. So the next person who used this printer probably got it. It was a page from my Hair Notebook, with a few instructions for "other updos" (i.e. those that are not braids, buns or half-ups). I wonder what the person thought :D

Anyway... I don't know how I do it. I can translate back into EN my Spidermom bun instructions. I can't remember where I got them from, but most probably it's a transcription from YT. Again, transcription in my little word is not writing down what a person says.

Spidermom bun: gather your hair into a ponytail with your left hand. Wrap around the fingers up, to the right, down. Between the lowest (pointing) finger and the rest of fingers- put the ends moving them up, so that the ends cover the rest of the fingers and the pointing one remains visible- another loop appears. Move the ends to the left, wrap around the basis. Separate the loops and insert a stick, with the end towards the letf.

I haven't seen any video about this bun in a long time. I have just followed my instructions and it worked. But it may be just because I am used to what I mean by "Wrap around the fingers up, to the right, down." and stuff.

If you'd like more examples, there is no problem. I can provide some. I even have TorrinPaige's Super Fancy Updo noted down. Have you seen that one? :D

MinderMutsig
September 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Or the hypno swirl, do a cinnabun deconstruct the loop and twist then flip. I really wish i had figured those out sooner and i could have had so much more variety!Isn't the hypno swirl just an inverted/flipped infinity bun?

The infinity bun is a cinnamon bun with the center loop flipped to the side and the figure eight is a cinnamon bun with the center loop flipped up or down, depending on your preference.

For the hypno bun you make a figure eight and flip it up.

One that was pretty eye opening to me is that the nautilus bun, the pencil bun and the lazy wrap bun are basically the same bun. They are done differently but the end result is the same; a bigger loop on the outside and the length is wrapped around the base.

Which doesn't mean that if you conquered one you can do them all because the different methods of making the bun require different lengths.

Natalia
September 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I keep written instructions of updos that I like. Most of them are "transcribed" from pictures or YT videos. (By "transcribed" I do not mean writing down what the person in YT video says. That would not be enough at all. I describe all the moves in my own words that are usually different than what is being said. Mainly because I describe results of each stage. On a video, those are visible. So if I don't know HOW do to something, maybe writing WHAT I should end up with will help me, if in several weeks I forget how to do a style. Like "There should be 1 ponytail on the left and two smaller ones under it." or something.) Many come from written instructions, too, but it's minority. I translated it all into Polish, since none of it came in PL originally... So most of them sound silly :D Maybe I'm not used to Polish hair vocab, but still :D Once I've forgotten to take one page from printing place. So the next person who used this printer probably got it. It was a page from my Hair Notebook, with a few instructions for "other updos" (i.e. those that are not braids, buns or half-ups). I wonder what the person thought :D

Anyway... I don't know how I do it. I can translate back into EN my Spidermom bun instructions. I can't remember where I got them from, but most probably it's a transcription from YT. Again, transcription in my little word is not writing down what a person says.

Spidermom bun: gather your hair into a ponytail with your left hand. Wrap around the fingers up, to the right, down. Between the lowest (pointing) finger and the rest of fingers- put the ends moving them up, so that the ends cover the rest of the fingers and the pointing one remains visible- another loop appears. Move the ends to the left, wrap around the basis. Separate the loops and insert a stick, with the end towards the letf.

I haven't seen any video about this bun in a long time. I have just followed my instructions and it worked. But it may be just because I am used to what I mean by "Wrap around the fingers up, to the right, down." and stuff.

If you'd like more examples, there is no problem. I can provide some. I even have TorrinPaige's Super Fancy Updo noted down. Have you seen that one? :D

Thank you :) i am still working my way through all the youtube videos i'll check that one out. On my old computer that crashed i used to have instructions like that with step my step photos darn me for not backing it up.

Isn't the hypno swirl just an inverted/flipped infinity bun?

The infinity bun is a cinnamon bun with the center loop flipped to the side and the figure eight is a cinnamon bun with the center loop flipped up or down, depending on your preference.

For the hypno bun you make a figure eight and flip it up.

One that was pretty eye opening to me is that the nautilus bun, the pencil bun and the lazy wrap bun are basically the same bun. They are done differently but the end result is the same; a bigger loop on the outside and the length is wrapped around the base.

Which doesn't mean that if you conquered one you can do them all because the different methods of making the bun require different lengths.

I think so i guess i make my infinity a bit different so its easier to remember for me if i think cinnabun lol. Interesting about the similarities between the buns but i think i may erase that from my mind before i confuse myself lol