PDA

View Full Version : Weird smell from coconut oil

PennyLaneDream
September 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I just put in some coconut oil in my hair for an overnight oiling for the first time and I noticed a weird smell, has anyone else ever experienced this? The oil says refined 100% pure coconut oil and it smells fine in the jar but once its on my hair it has a sour milk/metallic smell. Any ideas what could be causing this?

melusine963
September 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I had this problem when I used too much oil at once, put it in when my hair was still wet, and left it in too long. I wash my hair once a week, so when I oil now I only do it a tiny bit at a time. That way the oil has time to soak in completely before I add more. This has fixed the problem for me. I hope this helps!

torrilin
September 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Oils can go rancid, and the smell changes when they do. To avoid this, I try to only use food safe oils on my hair, so if it smells funny I can see if it also tastes weird.

PennyLaneDream
September 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah I've used the same oil before as a leave-in, just a small amount added to dry hair and never noticed a smell so I was really surprised when I got that weird smell. I think I'll just get unrefined coconut oil for heavy oiling because I quite like the smell of coconut. I'm pretty sure the oil isn't rancid because it smells fine in the jar and the expiration date isn't for 2 years. Thanks for the help!

ladonna
September 18th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Oil always stinks in my hair. I think my nose though because I smell the oil in my kids hair and the type of oil doesn't matter, it always stinks to me. My solution is to oil my hair a few hours before washing.