PDA

View Full Version : Did I get the right kind of coconut oil?

Ashlbee
September 18th, 2012, 12:44 AM
So, I recently decided to try oiling my hair based in the wonderful LHC advice and suggestions of coconut oil.

I went o Trader Joe's and picked up a jar of 100% virgin coconut oil (clear as water warm, white as snow cold and solid). Since I got it at a food store though, I think it is meant for cooking and the jars HUGE! Like, bigger than a soup can. I could never use it all before it goes rancid in 2 years! Does it matter its 'cooking' oil so long as it is virgin 100% oil that I believe in unrefined?

Also, is it ok to stick my fingers in the jar like I've been doing. Or could that contaminate it and I should take some out with a spoon?

AnqeIicDemise
September 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM
That's fairly normal. I would take some out into another container and keep that so you don't have to be bothering with the big tub. I use my unrefined coconut oil on everything-- hands, feet, arms, armpits (I make my own deodorant), hair.. I can't cook with it though as I hate the way it smells as it cooks on a pan.

I cook with the refined oil instead.

Avital88
September 18th, 2012, 01:00 AM
mine is also for cooking, but its pure so thats what you need.. mine actually says: for cooking and skincare.. i like to put it on my skin and my hair :-D
This is exactly the coco oil you need there is no other,i also just use my fingers, never thought of it, i had mine open for 1 year and nothing strange happend to it..

melusine963
September 18th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Mine would also only come in a huge jar. At the current rate it would take me more than ten years to get through it, so I'm resigned to a whole lot getting wasted. Oh, well.

Sophiatrist
September 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM
As far as my hair is concerned there doesn't seem to be a wrong kind of coconut oil, it loves them all. Right now I am using a one quart tub of the LouAna brand and I doubt you can find anything less expensive. I spoon out a tablespoon at a time into a small canning jar, warm it until liquid in the microwave and then slather it on.

MeowScat
September 18th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Mine sounds just like yours. Big jar, made for cooking, virgin, and white when solid.

Keep it in the fridge if you're worried about it spoiling. Many do that here. I've had mine for about 8 months and it's still perfect and I don't refrigerate it. I keep forgetting to put it in there.

I use the back of my fingernail to scrape it out of the jar. Since I don't use it for cooking, I'm not worried about contamination. But if you are worried, then use a spoon, butter knife, or whatever else you can think of.

I also use it as a body and face moisturizer. It's great on your finger and toenail cuticles when they need to be softened and / or pushed back.

I hope you love it! Happy moisturizing!! :)

kaydana
September 18th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I put mine in little pots so I can dip my fingers in that without contaminating the whole lot. That way I can use the rest for cooking so I actually stand a chance of finishing it before it goes rancid!

Ashlbee
September 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Glad to know I got the right stuff :D. Hopefully my hair loves it as much as all of your does!

spidermom
September 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have an old body butter jar that I saved. I sit my big jar of coconut oil into a pan of hot water until it gets melty, then pour some into the body butter jar. That way I can keep the big jar in the refrigerator and the small jar upstairs at bedside. I use it for feet/legs/lips as well as for hair.

It's pretty good for making waffles, too.

palaeoqueen
September 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That's what I have, my husband regularly pinches it for cooking :D