PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this method of trimming?!

Diamondbell
September 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
http://howtocutyourownhair.blogspot.in/2007/09/quick-tip-on-how-to-cut-your-own-hair.html

"Wash your hair, and squeeze it dry, don't towel it out, you need it damp and straight, the straight part being most important.

Next, you are going to want to bend over, and comb your hair towards the floor. You want to have the top of your head pointed straight at the floor for this.

Then, after it is all combed straight down, simply take your scissors and cut the straightest line across that you can. It is pretty important that you go very straight, as this cut is the line that people will see from behind when you hair is combed back."

Does it work? Won't the hair become uneven? :)

AcornMystic
September 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I tried this method, but combing it up into a top pony and then trimming. That was before I found LHC. NEVER again will I do that silly method. To do it straight would create really messed up layers. If one were to they should cut on an angle, not straight across, so the layers blend better. I'm still more for Feye's Method.

Diamondbell
September 18th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the warning! I wanted to try it, I too usually use the Feye's Method! :D

MeowScat
September 18th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah, this could give you a weird cut since your hair falls much differently when bent over compared to standing up straight.

The hair growing from the top of your head will look much longer when you flip it over in front of you and the hair on the back of your head will seem much shorter. You could end up with wonky layers.

I'd stick with Feye's Method, too! I've found that using several elastics, a few inches apart, down the length instead of just one really helps to keep my hair in a much straighter line.

lapushka
September 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, and I loved the layers it gave me. It goes a little something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6quAXI0gM

akuamoonmaui
September 18th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I do a variation and have been for years: In the shower, after conditioning, I use a very wide tooth comb, bend at the waist and flip my hair over my head, carefully combing so it feels like the hair is evenly distributed. I trim (never more than 1/2") the hair in the middle of that "curtain" shorter than the sides, angling out and down. This keeps the hair from having a 'V' hemline. I don't know why/how it works, but it does. I end up with light layers and a very soft 'U' hemline.

OMG. I just watched the video lapuska posted. She was so carelessly hacking at her hair..... I was in horror.... But the layers seemed to look ok. I would have liked a better/closer shot from the back, though.

Diamondbell
September 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Yes, me too, I would have liked to see a proper shot of her ends (back view). I liked that video. That's great that has worked for you akuamoonmaui and lapushka!

Tota
September 19th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I've been cutting my own layers for the last two years using this lady's methods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI&feature=relmfu

She has many different videos on how to cut layers. The only thing I do differently is that I position my ponytail directly above my forehead (I read it somewhere on this forum that this is the best way to do it so I do it lol). I combine this method with Feye's U-cut method and I'm very happy with the results.

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Yes I have, except I gathered my hair into a top-head ponytail first and slid a second pony-tie toward the ends. It gives long layers if you just cut the ends.

lapushka
September 19th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yes, me too, I would have liked to see a proper shot of her ends (back view). I liked that video. That's great that has worked for you akuamoonmaui and lapushka!

I had those layers for a long time, and they suited the wavy texture I have. It's great for wavy and probably curly hair too. But alas, now I've grown out all my layers. I do miss the layers, but that's not the look I'm going for at the moment.

Anje
September 19th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I've done similar, but usually with the hair positioned more in the forehead-ish region. It's a decent way to get layers, but I wouldn't do it with short hair.