PDA

View Full Version : Protein vs. hair type...

katfemme89
September 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not positive, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a correlation between someone's hair liking protein and their hair being fine. It seems like the coarser the hair, the less it likes protein. Because mine is M/C and my husbands is C and both our hairs despise protein.

What do you guys think?

chou
September 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM
My hair is M/C and wavy and I follow a no protein regimen because my hair hates protein so much.

cwarren
September 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I rarely do protein treatments and I have Fine/Medium hair. When I do, I have to follow up with an intense moisture treatment. Even then, my hair is hard and stiff.

CurlyCap
September 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I dunno.

My hair used to hate protein, but I find that as it's getting longer, it's liking it more. Also, I've shed a lot of my fine hairs and have mostly medium/coarse now.

So....I dunno. I still don't like protein treatments, but I can tolerate a little protein in conditioners now.

DinaAG
September 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
i am 2b and my hair loves protein

OhioLisa
September 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I have super fine hair and it HATES protein. So yeah, no correlation here.

battles
September 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM
F/M, hair hates protein.

Kelikea
September 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I have fine hair and it apparently loves protein. I never thought about it much till I heard about it here, but I've even done K-paks, and not ever noticed anything different with my hair. My regular shampoo and conditioner contain protein.

katfemme89
September 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hmmm.... Well my theory is now sufficiently shot to hell.... lol

gthlvrmx
September 17th, 2012, 11:24 PM
m/c hair and my hair absolutely hates protein. it gets super dry and stiff.

DarkSky
September 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Love it once a month. I have a mix of M and F hair as well as normal to low porosity.

sugarpixie10988
September 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I've got fine hair which despises protein.

owlathena
September 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
My hair used to hate protein, but now that I henna it loves it. :shrug: I think my hair is on the more fine side of medium.

Avital88
September 18th, 2012, 12:47 AM
my hair used to hate protein,but i now only wash with sls free protein shampoo and my hair has never been better, my hair is not fine

Louise148
September 18th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I have very fine hair and I noticed a fair few of the hair products I use contain protein. I have never known my hair to dry out or go crunchy so it must be fine with protein.

I am currently growing out a pixie and my layers are about 5 inches at the moment so I'll be interested to see if this changes as my hair grows longer or if it will stay friends with protein.

bunzfan
September 18th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Fine to medium and my hair loves it! i just did a protein treatment yesterday and its all bouncy now, posted the details in my blog. I do have old dye and damage on my ends though.

Fethenwen
September 18th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I have fine hair, and it sometimes likes protein on very rare occassions, lol.

MeowScat
September 18th, 2012, 04:35 AM
My hair is Fine and stick straight, protein makes it crunchy with HUGE split ends that travel up the length about 2 inches.

I had to S&D for hours, I was horrified at the damage it did. :(

Moisture is my friend, protein is my enemy.

Louise148
September 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I wonder why some hair seems to love it and other hair hates it? From this it would seem it hasn't that much to do with fine or coarse...or at least it doesn't seem to be a absolute so I wonder what it is?

Vampyria
September 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
My hair is M/C and it doesn't like protein. It starts breaking and splitting. But it doesn't mind Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, which has a little protein.

I've been on one other forum and some girl was recommending Joico reconstructor (protein treatment with keratin) to everyone. Those with straight hair liked it, and those with more wavy and curly hair didn't. I don't know if their hair was fine or coarse though. That one was a disaster for me as well. The yogurt treatment also didn't end well.

Maybe it also depends on the treatment.

PinkyCat
September 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
My hair is fine and likes protein only every couple weeks. The biggest drawback I have is that, just like with a ton of other products:rolleyes:, it leeches my color! Boy do I hate that. I. Hate. That.

lydiajo
September 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM
My hair is fine and doesn't like a lot of protein. Conditioner is okay but no treatments.

ARG
September 18th, 2012, 07:41 AM
My hair is more medium than fine, and it tolerates protein. And by tolerates I mean in the shampoo I use only once a month. Anything after that and it feels dry. Moisture tends to be the only treatment it likes.

katfemme89
September 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I wonder why some hair seems to love it and other hair hates it? From this it would seem it hasn't that much to do with fine or coarse...or at least it doesn't seem to be a absolute so I wonder what it is?

I was wondering the same thing. I really cannot figure it out. I think there are so many variables that I'd honestly have to do lab-like testing, because with this thread I didn't ask what kind of protein they were using, if their hair is virgin or color treated, what their regimen is, etc etc. It'd have to be a scientific study with all variables held constant in order to verify conclusion(s).

Shepherdess
September 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think I have ever tried protein in my hair so I have no idea?

CurlyMopTop
September 20th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I have fine hair that has to have it's protein fixes! My leave-in condish contains protein and I have a rinse out condish (contains lots of protein) that's in rotation with several other conditioners in my shower. :D

Anje
September 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Other people seem to have said that, but if it's true, I'm another exception. My hair is fine and I need to avoid conditioners that contain protein. After a couple uses (can't even get through a bottle when using CO wash volumes of the stuff), my ends turn to velcro. Nevermind actual protein *treatments*.

I'm all about humectants. Not great with leave-ins, proteins, emollients, or silicones, but my hair does like its humectants.

alyaziaaah
September 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
My hair is 2c,3a, MC more coarse lol and looooves protein, I do a sper deep treatment once a month, like a permanent hardcore one. My hair is damaged though and the damaged part gets better every time I do it, I do it now since almost a year, in the beginning every 2 weeks. My virgin regrowth( 24cm) doesn't show any reaction though, just reacts like nothing happened lol. For washing I use only cowash moisturizing, and an amodimethicone one on the length.