PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to let go of long hair...

mzBANGBANG
September 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
...if you find out you may have to lose it all because of a medical issue?

I have to say I got some scary news and it is kind of weird that the first thing I thought of was possibly losing my hair. I don't know if it is because I am in denial, but it has been all I could focus on... how much time I have put into my hair.

I don't mean to be a downer. It's just that lhc has been a large coping skill for me (I traded my obsession with not eating for an obsession with hair care, and it seriously helped me recover from my eating disorder so much).

My hair gives me confidence and I am at a loss right now -- when I should be focusing on getting better. It is crazy.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I think I would find it pretty difficult to lose my hair. But the important thing is for you to concentrate on recovery, and hair does grow back, just remember that. Hope things improve and that you make a full recovery.

lunalocks
September 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I am so sorry for your scary news. I have had a few bad scares in the past few years, and the first thing I think of is my hair, so I know how strange that feels.

I have had a lot of friends who have lost their hair. it grows back. Sometimes it grows back different. Someone who was going gray grew back her original color without the gray. Someone who had straight hair grew back ringlets. And loved them.

I am sure there are support threads on LHC with this theme. Know we love you and feel for you. Take care.

truepeacenik
September 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM
When was diagnosed with cancer, it was the first image in my mind- me with no hair, stubble and chemo curls.
Mainly because a buddy was just off his rounds of chemo.

We tackle what we can tackle emotionally.

Here is the advice I got: better you bald than no you.
Oh, we'll, when I look at it that way....:cheese:

Sure, I lucked out with treatment. I didn't have IV chemo.

DinaAG
September 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM
was there before once because of depression and other because of medicine, just be sure that like you had it once you can have it even better once again and thats the worst case scenario..

jacqueline101
September 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I'd imagine its bad but hair does grow back. I'd think about recovery.

spidermom
September 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I would be upset that is so far beyond upset I can't even tell you.
Then I'd get on with treatment.

browneyedsusan
September 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
How scary for you! Especially since you replaced an unhealthy addiction with a benign one--a very good, smart choice.

This will ring hollow: it will grow back. I've seen lots of women lose their hair and grow it out again. You are young and have a lot of living to do. You've grown it out before, and you can do it again. You probably won't like it, but you can do it even then.

You don't know how many people watch you and look up to your example. Be the woman you're supposed to be; with or without your pretty hair. You can do this, and you can do it with grace and dignity. :) I'm pulling for you! :love: :blossom:

lydiajo
September 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
My hair gives me confidence and I am at a loss right now -- when I should be focusing on getting better. It is crazy.

It's not crazy. Your hair is as much a part of you (self image) as your leg or arm. It's probably one of the things you use to describe yourself. But it is a part, not the whole.

Lighting a candle, saying a prayer.
Bright Blessings and healing energy.

kdaniels8811
September 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
When I was diagnosed with cancer and chemo being the treatment, I refused treatment for about a month. I had JUST reached my first goal of waist length hair and I was so happy. Then BAM - you have cancer and need chemo right away. My SO told me I was silly to take a chance on dying because of vanity and he was right. I had the treament, lost my hair, and wore wigs for a while - yes, waist length! and when my hair grew out, gave them up. Your hair will grow back and I understand the grieving that goes with losing it but it is better to lose your hair than your life. There are several of us cancer/hair loss survivors on this forum. It gets better with time, promise.

cwarren
September 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I can't image what you're going through. I'm sorry you have this health scare.

I don't know how I would take it. Looks aren't everything, but I love my hair. Our hair takes too much hard work and effort to just let go of it as if it means nothing.

PetuniaBlossom
September 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
May you be healthy again. If you lose your hair, may it grow back longer, thicker, prettier than ever before. May you have the strength and support you need as you take this journey.
You will be in our thoughts. Please know that many of us will be sending you all good energy and prayers.

Hollyfire3
September 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Best of wishes and love to you. I would be devestated beyond words and would become a basket case were this me. Be strong, and get well very super soon, and may your hair grow back plentiful and even more beautiful!

Dorothy
September 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I don't know how well this works or if it would be appropriate in your case, but I've heard of cold packs helping - here's one link
http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20234850,00.html
There are pros and cons. I think I would try it if it ever came down to this for me. I love my hair too.

WaitingSoLong
September 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I have often imagined how I would handle such news, because I am overly attached to my hair. SO much I have thought I ought to cut it off so I can get over it. But I can't bring myself to...

Yet I know that imaging how we would react in a situation and then BEING in that situation are two different things. Since I cannot personally comment, I can itterate what I have heard from other's experiences that were similar. Some of the people wanted to cut it off themselves, before it started to fall out, for several reasons but mainly to be "in control" of something that is basically not in your control (well, I guess you CAN refuse the treatment). Others embraced it by wig shopping. Some just really didn't care. All of them went through an evolution of emotions as the "news" was processed and digested and no one is to say what is right or wrong about how you feel about possibly losing your hair.

CherrySilver
September 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM
When I had a cancer scare several years ago, I found out about Penguin Cold Caps and actually spoke with their distributor in the UK (they had no distributor in the US at the time). I've spoken with some cancer survivors since then who wish they knew about them, as it would have made their recovery much easier.

You can google for more info on Penguin Caps -- below is a link to a discussion about them on another forum:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/739728

Fairlight63
September 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
So Sorry ((Hug)):grouphug:

Maybe
September 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I am thinking of you and sending.positive, healthy thoughts!

dulce
September 17th, 2012, 09:14 PM
If you might have to have chemo or radiation check out the PENQUIN COLD CAP.Google to get the web page,read the clinical trials and how it works .If ever I would face radiation or chemo,I would definitely do this..You don't always need to lose your hair.

dulce
September 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Oops-just saw someone else mentioned them.

Chromis
September 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
On the brighter side, when people ask how long/why I am growing my hair, I can tell them an exact amount of time and then "Take *that* cancer!" I never ever get people telling me I should cut my hair or giving me odd reactions once I tell them that the longer my hair is, the longer it has been since I had cancer. Of course, I have done plenty of trimming along the way to take off a bit of damage from before I found LHC and learned how to put my hair up and for keeping my hemline even, but no matter! The sentiment is the same and it shuts them right up.

bunnylake
September 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
If you lose it all, it'll be okay. Because it'll grow back stronger, healthier, and more beautiful. A fresh start. Imagine brand new virgin hair. Sometimes, the only way out of something is through.
If you can beat an eating disorder, you can beat anything. I know.
xo