PDA

View Full Version : any advice to trim own hair? i'm new here =)

dianemary126
September 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
hey all i'm brand new to these boards (i did my welcome in the new member section)

i've had one too many bad haircuts and stylists who didn't listen when i said trim or micro dusting so i'm done with them. i want to trim my own hair (well with my boyfriend's help) but haven't a clue where to begin. I'm scared I will mess it up.

I just got a trim about 2 weeks ago so won't need another for 3 months (i'm prone to splits- it's hard for me to go longer- but i can try)

..but any and all advice and tips will be so appriciated <3

Anje
September 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Feye's Self Trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) is the usual set of instructions that people like to follow for trimming their own hair. Give those a read to start with.

If you want to be a bit more daring, such as with mild layers, many people have had success with combing hair forward into a ponytail formed at the top of the head, middle of the forehead, or even in front of the nose, then snipped straight across.

All of these methods fall into the category of "Compact cuts," where the hair is gathered into a big chunk or a couple of big chunks, then snipped. They're much easier to do to yourself than all the sectioning and holding hair at funny angles is, especially once your hair gets longer than your arms. The look they give might not be quite the same, but for many of us it's quite acceptable and is a good trade-off for having autonomy over our own hair.

ETA: It may be obvious, but (1) don't take off too much and (2) don't freak out if it's not completely, perfectly even. You've got fairly curly hair -- your hemline will never be quite the same from one day to another anyway.

spidermom
September 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
My favorite way is to divide my hair straight down the middle into two even halves, then comb each half smoothly forward and make one ponytail out of the two sides right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends, then cut straight across. It gives a soft U-shape to the ends when combed back.

Lately I've been going to a stylist to get layered ends, so the sig pic isn't representative of my technique.

jacqueline101
September 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
The feye self trim method. I've never done it but it seems simple and I'm going to try it.

Yozhik
September 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'd also suggest feye's self trim. If you're more of an audio-visual learner, check out Habioku's video on it on youtube (typing in her name and feye should do it) -- that's what I use as a reference before I cut mine.

I'd also suggest purchasing a pair of sharp hair-cutting scissors that you never use on anything but hair -- this will help prevent your hair from developing splits. :flower:

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :flowers:

melusine963
September 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I also used Feye's method last time I trimmed my hair. I asked my sister to help me, and luckily my hair is pretty wavy so no-one can tell if it's a little uneven.

jasper
September 18th, 2012, 04:38 AM
My favorite way is to divide my hair straight down the middle into two even halves, then comb each half smoothly forward and make one ponytail out of the two sides right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends, then cut straight across. It gives a soft U-shape to the ends when combed back.

Lately I've been going to a stylist to get layered ends, so the sig pic isn't representative of my technique.

I am going to try this. Last time I used Faye's, I got a smooth hemline, but it distinctly angled downward from the left to the right, and I think that was from the bringing-the-tail-over-my-shoulder-to-the-front step.

I need to ask, though, is the book supposed to face parallel to the body or perpendicular? I pictured perpendicular at first, but decided that didn't quite make sense. . .

dianemary126
September 18th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for replies everyone! =)
Feyes method seems great- thank u! Next time i need a trim i will try that way. I agree- mymhair is wavy/curly so any unevenness shouldnt be too noticeable.

I will have to youtube it too. Youtube vids alwAys seemmto help. I wish i can detach my hair to trim it lol

Ive watched vids of people doing the ponytail on top of head and snipping straight across. That terrifies me personally. I dont think id do it right. Plus the layers i have i am trying to grow out

The book method sounds interesting too for trims.

Thanks again everyone!

dulce
September 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I like the CREACLIP!Check out the different hair cuts and how to do them on utube.

Oksana
September 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I like the CREACLIP!Check out the different hair cuts and how to do them on utube.

I also very much recommend the creaclip, it is pretty much faultless for a simple trim and you can pick up a knock off brand from eBay for very little. If i don't have my creaclip i use feye's method.

akilina
September 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for replies everyone! =)
Feyes method seems great- thank u! Next time i need a trim i will try that way. I agree- mymhair is wavy/curly so any unevenness shouldnt be too noticeable.

I will have to youtube it too. Youtube vids alwAys seemmto help. I wish i can detach my hair to trim it lol

Ive watched vids of people doing the ponytail on top of head and snipping straight across. That terrifies me personally. I dont think id do it right. Plus the layers i have i am trying to grow out

The book method sounds interesting too for trims.

Thanks again everyone!
This method is actually very terrifying! That haircut has a name. Its basically a 180 degree cut. Everything to the top. This haircut makes for no weight in the bottom of the hair...which is usually not what anyone wants. Having thin ends is frustrating, and unfortunately my hair is cut like this. I hate it. It does not help at all that my hair is already thin. ( I will add I would never bring a ponytail to the top of my head and chop, but my hair is still cut with this 180degree technique.)

It sounds like you will do just fine :) I would not trim your own layers though unless you truly know what you are doing.

WilfredAllen
September 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM
pull a chunk of hair out straight from your head (not hanging) and cut it straight across. It gives you straight, but not blunt ends, because each hair is a little higher or lower than the others.

that's what I do

MegaMystery
September 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I sometimes use Feye's self trim method, and then once or twice a year I go to a hairdresser to get things evened up and also to get some layers done. Though I must say, I have a pretty great hairdresser who doesn't cut too much off (in my opinion, which is great!)

hermosamendoza
September 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I agree with people who say Feyes method or the creaclip. I've did the Feye method for over a year or two (cut my hair all off after having a baby and now am growing it out after a year rebellion lol) but I want to get the creaclip once my layers grow out all the way.

ETA: also get a good pair of hair scissors (you can get some for under $15 at walmart/target) and don't use them for anything but your hair

dianemary126
September 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
wow that crea clip thing looks soo cool! i'm going to have to buy one. most likely i will use that or the faye method now. i wish my hairdresser didn't screw up so bad last time. i'm too nervous to go back to her =/

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I hold the book parallel to my body so that my length disappears into the top and ends hang out the bottom. I have one of those thick, hard page books that they make for very little children.

I didn't want to go buy a creaclip.

I had the same problem mentioned above with the Feye method. My ends slanted from right to left, which is why I decided to bring the ends together before cutting so that I could get the cut even from one side to the other.

spidermom
September 19th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Oh, and I used to do the ponytail on top of head method for layered ends. I like what the hair stylist is doing now better.

akilina
September 19th, 2012, 11:39 AM
wow that crea clip thing looks soo cool! i'm going to have to buy one. most likely i will use that or the faye method now. i wish my hairdresser didn't screw up so bad last time. i'm too nervous to go back to her =/
If you have no luck with self trimming...go back to your hair dresser and tell her exactly what went wrong last time :) don't be afraid to tell her. Also, let her know that you are desperately trying to grow your hair out and really want a stylist that you can trust.
Most of us will look at it as positive criticism and strive for better.
Tell her how you want things to REALLY happen this time, tell her if she took off way too much, and if you have to say something like "I know you might think I need more off but please only take off X amount and I will be back regularly, but last time you really took off too much" Dont be afraid to :]

dianemary126
September 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
akilina- how did u know i was afraid to tell my hairdresser? i didn't want to disappoint her and say i was unhappy. i mean i am going to go back for my color- she does a fabulous job with that and i was gonna say "dont cut it this time bc u cut too much last time" I'm still so nervous to have her trim it again even though she did good in the past. I just can't risk another bad cut or too much length off again. What kills me is I actually told her before she trimmed shes the only person I trust trimming my hair and she felt good. So it's like why did she go and screw up? And not only was it too much, it was also uneven. My boyfriend fixed it up for me.

I miss my old hairdresser so bad. She was perfect. Did exactly what I wanted, showed me before she did it and then she disappeared. Literally. Stopped answering her phone and showing up to the salon.

it would be so much easier to trust my stylist then self trim. I think maybe I can return once I grow my layers out. I don't like having layers, I told her this so I don't know why she recreated them and made it worse. it's so frustrating