PDA

View Full Version : Join the Battle against Split Ends!

ilovelonghair
August 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Not sure if we already have a topic like this. A topic to keep up to date with the battle against split ends. Who wants to join?

I'm curious how often other people have to s&d, how long does it take before the split ends are back again. Few days, weeks, months or more? Do you have special techniques to find them?

For me at the moment a few days after s&d the split ends are back with a vengence! They seem to be like dragons that grow back even more heads after you cut their head off LOL.

I got sometimes really bad spit ends, the ones that have multiple splits in one hair, splits higher up in a hair, or very long splits.

Bene
August 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i generally sit in front of the screen with a bright/light page on... i'm lucky that i don't have many, i'll probably find 2 or 3 in one sitting, but i keep at it, just in case

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I don't so S&D, tried it once, but my eyes were ready to pop out of my head. I just can't seem to get the hang of it so instead I do micro trims when needed.

Ohio Sky
August 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't really have a technique or schedule for trimming or S&D, I just do it when I get bored, mostly.

I trimmed off about 1/2 inch... 5 months ago? maybe and have only found a few splits since then. Of course I don't examine the ends of my hair that aften, either. Once again, just when I get bored. :rolleyes:

ilovelonghair
August 10th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I don't find it boring, it's kind of relaxing. I also do weekly microtrims, but the split ends are quite high up, so I really need to s&d, because otherwise the splits get very long.

spidermom
August 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I can always find split ends, and it depresses me, so I quit looking (for the most part).

Chromis
August 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I also can always find splits. I normally trim them at the bathroom sink. There is decent lighting and I don't wish to get hair bits everywhere. I normally trim them for a total of about a half hour every couple days. I still keep finding more and more, but I figure they aren't likely to disappear on their own! I inspect my braid tassel each morning and do a quick snippity of any splits I see and I do the length in longer sessions, usually between undoing my night braid and combing it out to put up for the day.

yogachic
August 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I don't do it very often, maybe once a month, out of boredom. I can also Always find some, due to the ends of my hair being permed hair from 2 years ago.

trolleypup
August 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
It is a regular process with me...I find them everywhere but I keep up with it because it reduces tangling.

spidermom
August 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I figure they aren't likely to disappear on their own!

Of course they will! Every hair, split or not, sheds out eventually. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Xi
August 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I got sometimes really bad spit ends, the ones that have multiple splits in one hair, splits higher up in a hair, or very long splits.

Me too! I've never trimmed my splits, mainly because (before finding LHC) I thought this had to involve someone else (in the words of my short-haired mother) "chopping off a few inches" for me. I think I will try S&D once I find a nice sharp pair of haircutting scissors. Thanks for starting this thread; I will read it carefully :).

AmselJoey
August 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm soooo excited for this thread!

Split ends have been my BIGGEST hair issue lately. I feel like I am doing S&D constantly, but they just keep popping coming back! :rant:

I'm thinking a half inch trim is in order for me since my ends are old and pretty damaged from both heat and chemicals.

Despite the annoyance of splits I find S&D very relaxing. I occupies my mind and makes me forget whatever is troubling me, even if just for a little while. Plus you feel like you've accomplished something when you're done. :)

I usually do it in my bathroom over the sink or when I'm a passenger in someone's car so I can use the natural lighting. Though the best is sitting outside on my backporch, since I love being outside and we live somewhat in the woods.

That being said anyone have anything they swear by that helps prevent or minimize their splits?

AmselJoey :happydance:

starla_zero
August 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Keeping an eye on this topic :)
I decided a few days ago S&Ding was the way forward, got myself some nice sharp hairdressing scissors and plan on setting aside some time at least once a week to get it done. I gave it a once-over on Friday, but today I noticed there's still a ton lurking, at least I hope they're just ones I missed first time.

EmmaRose
August 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm soooo excited for this thread!

That being said anyone have anything they swear by that helps prevent or minimize their splits?

AmselJoey :happydance:
My satin pillowcase. I noticed a big difference in the ends of my hair and the number of split ends after I switched to satin.

zanne
August 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I have a lot of splits, but i just started my healthy hair care regime (as it were) a few months ago, so i'm hoping i'll find less and less splits with each S&D. So far, no luck with that:).

Stagecoach
August 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh wow, this thread is home to me!

I used to get split ends galore. I had to S&D every couple weeks to keep my hair from becoming completely unmanegable. Everytime I'd snip around 50 ends... and I know there were still loads I was missing.

However, for me, the battle was won when I began using catnip tea rinses. They have completely saved my hair from the split end frenzy! I've been using them for three months or so now and I've only S&D'd twice, and each time only found about 20 splits.

Calanthe
August 11th, 2008, 02:15 AM
They are everywhere. At least, I think, they are. I try S&D on a regular basis, but after finding more and more each time, I get so annoyed, that I stop again. I do micro trims instead, every three to four month. I mean, I wear my hair up anyway most of the time, so I can hide split ends pretty well but still they do annoy me a lot as they come back constantly.

ilovelonghair
August 11th, 2008, 04:03 AM
However, for me, the battle was won when I began using catnip tea rinses. They have completely saved my hair from the split end frenzy! I've been using them for three months or so now and I've only S&D'd twice, and each time only found about 20 splits.

So that really works? I was sceptic, but tried it once. How often do you do this, and do you leave it in? I tried the recipe from the catnip thread and left it in after I washed my hair. Do you still use condishener before a catnip rinse?

tiny_teesha
August 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I S&D monthly and the split return speed is directly due to how little conditioning i do and how rough i comb.
Henna did reduce the number of returns initially.

Stagecoach
August 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
So that really works? I was sceptic, but tried it once. How often do you do this, and do you leave it in? I tried the recipe from the catnip thread and left it in after I washed my hair. Do you still use condishener before a catnip rinse?

Here is the link to my post in the Catnip thread detailing my process. It does take a couple months for results to really show.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=205378&postcount=272

Arctic
August 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
They are everywhere. At least, I think, they are. I try S&D on a regular basis, but after finding more and more each time, I get so annoyed, that I stop again. I do micro trims instead, every three to four month. I mean, I wear my hair up anyway most of the time, so I can hide split ends pretty well but still they do annoy me a lot as they come back constantly.

Are you using sharp hair scissors that are not used in anything else? If not, that might be a problem. With good scissors, when you just keep S&Ding regularly, and take good care of your hair and ends, you will see improvement after a while. Ofcourse if one has very damaged hair, it will split no matter what, and seeing dramatic improvement might take a while but never give up :) Good luck!

vampodrama
August 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
dull scissors really do damage the hair end as you cut it - I just witnessed it myself fifteen minutes ago :bigeyes:

never again will I attempt S&D before I manage to get a pair of professional scissors!

thankyousir74
August 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I don't really have a technique or schedule for trimming or S&D, I just do it when I get bored, mostly.

Same here. That includes some classes :rolling:

JessTheMess
August 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I lost the battle last night :(
I was midway to waist, but the damage to my ends was unsalvageable after nightly S&D's and extreme care. Oh well, I'm back at BSL and my shag layers are almost gone, and the hem is crazy healthy feeling. So, onward onto care, and pampering, and updos!! I am praying that my ends never again feel that terrible. I was sad to see the few inches go, but they were dead inches....onward to healthy growth!!!:toast:

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I only S&D when I think about it. I also do microtrims every few months but I always have lots of splits.

RedElephant
August 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've tried S&D a couple of times but I could never get rid of all my split ends. I've decided that it'll be nearly impossible to S&D every split end. So, I'm going to trim an inch or so at the end of every year. And of course, baby and protect my ends.

ilovelonghair
August 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Here is the link to my post in the Catnip thread detailing my process. It does take a couple months for results to really show.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=205378&postcount=272

That sounds like a lot of work! But probably needed if I want to get my hair back to great lenghts.

sipnsun
August 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I S&D and trim often, and I still have split ends everytime I look. It's so aggravating!! So count me into this club. I hope when all of the damaged ends are gone it will get better.

raisin
August 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I had been reading about S&D for about 2,5 years on this site...and I was convinced I didn't have split ends because I couldn't see them. Unitill 3 months ago. I was on the passengers seat, my ponytail over my shoulder. With the direct light coming in, the splits were so easy to see!
Since then I do an S&D when I feel like it. I don't have a schedule for it, I find it very relaxing and figure every removed split helps.

I try to prevent split ends by wearing my hair up most of the time and I make sure to fingercomb before I use my teak or plastic comb.

RavennaNight
August 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I also find S&D extremely relaxing. And its a mission: Section by section I pull my hair foreward, and search. For a while, Iwas almost exclusively finding them in my growing out faceframing layers. Hmm... Maybe that stylist's scissors werent so great. I know she didnt use a razor. But now they are all over when I find them, and if I find too many, like in mid July, I trim. I did a self trim of 1/2 inch and it helped, and amazingly the length measurement wasn't effected much. I like catching the little buggers, though. I figure it will prevent the ends from getting scraggly. I am finding less as time passes farther and farther away from my last encounter with the blowfryer.

EbonyCurls
August 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I usually trim splits during commercials the night b/f washing, and immediately moisturize afterwards...somehow I figure the extra moisture will prevent the delicate, newly cut ends from splitting.

Juneii
August 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I rarely ever had split ends until a few months ago when my layers started bugging me and I had to flat iron it all the time.
I never really noticed until my best friend pointed it out to me one week after I cut my hair. there were split ends on almost every strand of hair and split ends on those split ends. I spent about an hour crying and cutting them off.
after that I promised myself no more layers and no more flat ironing. >___<

MermaidGirl
August 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Wow, I really need to join up with you gals! I got a pair of hair scissors that are reserved for S&D use only, and the last two times I washed, I did a catnip tea treatment (saturated my hair thoroughly in the tea, clipped it up and bagged it for an hour).

I really need a trim to even up some slightly broken ends, which will, of course, take off some splits, but I also really need to do a heavy-duty S&D session (or 3!) after I trim because I don't plan on having too much taken off with the trim. My plan is to get a pair of strong reading glasses and use those so I can see the splits better (thanks Gladtobemom for such a genius idea!). I am also going to use the catnip tea every time I wash because I know you have to use it for a little while before it really starts working on preventing splits and decreasing breakage, but it is definitely something I am going to incorporate into my haircare routine. Hopefully after the trim and a couple heavy S&D sessions, and with continued catnip use, my splits will be a thing of the past, as will breakage issues. :D

Cinnamon.locks
August 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
i don't do S&D, never been able to find the splits or anything so i do micro cuts ( an inch or less) every time i feel my ends get tangly and very dry and damaged.

Elanor
August 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I do an S&D mission once a week or so, whenever I have the time and I'm on the mood. I have very few splits and sometimes I just find one during a 10-minute session. I do have to find at least one to feel satisfied, otherwise it would have been just a waist of time :D

I wear my hair up every day, so the only time I S&D is in the evenings before I braid my hair to bed. I do rather random searches, I never have the patience to go through all my hair. I also have layers that are too short to search.
I usually find 1-5 short splits during a 5-15 minute search.

My hair is virgin and after my last cut in May I've been taking really good care of it, so most of the splits I find are very short and hard to notice.

ilovelonghair
August 19th, 2008, 05:03 AM
My hair is really annoying atm, 2 weeks ago it was still fine, but I moved house and now my hair is just weird, it's kind of stringy and it stays flat against my head. Now I moved only 2 doors away, so it can't be that the water is different. But it is icy cold in the new house, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm going to henna my hair in the coming days, and the catnip is ready to be used too :)

Arctic
August 19th, 2008, 05:10 AM
My hair is really annoying atm, 2 weeks ago it was still fine, but I moved house and now my hair is just weird, it's kind of stringy and it stays flat against my head. Now I moved only 2 doors away, so it can't be that the water is different. But it is icy cold in the new house, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm going to henna my hair in the coming days, and the catnip is ready to be used too :)

Hmm, I guess it still can be different water there, if the water pipes are older and/or different material..? Anyways, I'm sure your hair gets used to what ever the change is. Maybe you hair was just reacting to the moving stress :)

Saranne772
August 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I'd love to join. However I fear that for me it is a loosing battle. They seem to multiply for me. I have a suspicion that I am someone who will always have splits

ilovelonghair
August 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Maybe it is the stress, because today out of the blue my hair is behaving again :)

chotee
August 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I do s&d whenever i feel like it. Mostly on freshly washed hair in the sunlight. I find tons of them. I usually take sections of hair and check for them. some of the splits travel up some distance. so its always better for me to check a few hair at a time. also twisting sections of hair into a rope brings them out and you can snip them off. Another way which works for me is to run a comb in my hair flat and check for splits popping out. Its pretty easy to look but there are so many that sometimes you get tired. One thing which reduces my splits is oiling a little heavy on my ends and keeping my hair in a braid. I see that if i do that continuously for a month, splits are really less.
I am also forcing myself to have regular micro-trims. Even though the splits travel up a lot, having micro trims professionally does help in not-generating more.
chotee

nastasska
August 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Count me in I have mucho split ends since all the colouring this year:(

sosspenc
August 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I S&D for a few min. a couple times a week. The sides of my hair where my layers are growing get nasty fast!

dor3girl
September 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Just one thing--maybe someone has mentioned this already: make sure your scissors are sharp, or else your S & D and trims will create split ends (and who wants that!?)

Friesiangirl
September 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
I haven't found any splits yet, but my hair is rather short in comparison. I was cutting the ends off of flyaways/breakage but I'm quiting that since there isn't a visible split.

VikingJarl
September 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
I often do S&D, although I seem to be finding less on the longest parts of my hair now. The splits on my shorter parts are more difficult to see to trim as I have to look in a mirror, which is not ideal.

I find it relaxing too and always tell myself that even a 5 minute session is progress, although 5 mins can very soon turn into 30 if I don't watch the clock!

jojo
September 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
I use catnip rinses and have noticed I dont get half as many now but I am not particularly long, from past experience my hair splits worse from BSL downwards.

S & Ding sends me cross eyed, I do look for them if I am board but i don't discriminate against them no more, any hair on my head is welcome to stay.

But I do dust every month!

psycho
September 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I just found this thread, looks like it'll be really useful! I used to have a ton of splits...in fact, I was just certain I had a split on every single hair. Since finding LHC I've made some huge advancements in hair care (photographic proof in my blog) and, ever-so-slowly, am making progress against the splits.

I used to do micro-trims about every month, but I was also growing out permed and badly damaged hair and did not like my hemline at all. Now that I have achieved nice blunt ends and my hair is significantly healthier, I only do trims if my ends start looking even the slightest bit ragged.

As for dusting, it's one of my favorite activities when I'm watching a movie. No matter how hard I try I cannot just sit and watch a movie without doing anything, so my hair gets dusted about 3-4 times every week. My preferred method to find the splits is to take a small section of hair and bend it enough to make the ends pop up; after I've trimmed all the splits I can see there, I slide my hand down the length a little ways until a new batch of ends pop up and then repeat.

Now I still have a lot of splits, but I'd say it's closer to about 1/3 of my ends instead of all of it. I'm currently using ProSante scalp treatment every day with my scalp massage, which seems to be helping a lot, and plan to try catnip as soon as I can get to the next town over to buy some catnip.

Dolly
September 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I S&D a little bit every night while I am watching tv.....I always find some! And, they always return very quickly......BUT that is something I have dealt with all my life. My hair has a very fine texture, and it splits VERY easily.

BunnyBee
September 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Just one thing--maybe someone has mentioned this already: make sure your scissors are sharp, or else your S & D and trims will create split ends (and who wants that!?)
This is exactly what I was worried about. I bought some hair scissors from Boots a while ago.. they were relatively cheap. How sharp exactly do they need to be? Does a cheap brand mean low quality and = splits?

ilovelonghair
October 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Got to revive this thread :)

I started using catnip, have been doing it for 2 weeks now, but of course i got to be patient. yesterday and today I have been s&d-ing and it's scary how many there are again. Especially on the front, the back it actually in much better shape. My hair near the nape is in the best shape, I didn't expect that because I thought that's the part that gets most wear and tear.

patissegrietje
October 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Are you using sharp hair scissors that are not used in anything else?

Probably a stupid question, but is there a very big difference between hair scissors and scissors meant for fabrics (never been used for anything else but hair)?

I'm going to try the catnip rinses and while thinking of it another stupid question comes to mind...
Will my cat be even more fond of me when i use catnip for my hair?

Arctic
October 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Probably a stupid question, but is there a very big difference between hair scissors and scissors meant for fabrics (never been used for anything else but hair)?

I'm going to try the catnip rinses and while thinking of it another stupid question comes to mind...
Will my cat be even more fond of me when i use catnip for my hair?

I assume that if the scissors are sharp they should be okay.

Lol, I've heared cat's become crazy about the catnip rinsed hair :D Maybe if you share your catnips s/he will be better about it :laugh:

EdG
October 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I must be lucky. I think I have only once ever found a split end. :)
Ed

nastasska
October 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Ed

Too Gobsmacked to speak :thud:

*Turns a nice shade of emerald Green with envy*

ilovelonghair
October 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Ed

You just had to say that to make us jealous didn't you :D. You're so lucky!
But I hope the catnip will help and one day we'll all be split-end free.

Btw my cat doesn't care about the catnip, it's only fresh catnip that he's interested in.

eyesofsummer
October 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
My hair has so many splits! Ah peroxide, I'll never use it again...
Anyway, I think I work on my splits for at least a half hour every day...and it's a constant snipping the whole time. I've got big, curly hair, too, so they're all over the place and kind of hard to find.

It's a relaxing thing for me, though. I like to do it for a while right before I go to bed; my laptop screen gives a very good contrasting background!

EdG
October 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
You just had to say that to make us jealous didn't you :D. You're so lucky!ilovelonghair and nastasska - I am not sure why I do not get split ends. I assume it is due to my hair being coarse.

I do get plenty of tangles. ;)
Ed

birthmarkie
October 7th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I would join, except that I no longer seek out splits. They are too disheartening. I do snap off breaks if I find them. Good luck everyone! Gentle detangling is a great technique to use. :twocents:

ilovelonghair
October 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
ilovelonghair and nastasska - I am not sure why I do not get split ends. I assume it is due to my hair being coarse.

I do get plenty of tangles. ;)
Ed

Yes I think coarse hair gets less splits because it's stronger. But tangles are troublesome too (my hair splits AND tangles :()

Speckla
October 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I haven't been to a hair dresser since April of this year - well - until today. I noticed a few split-ends a few days ago and some 1" or less hairs floating in the tub. A few ends are split and breaking off. I had several inches cut off today to 1) get rid of the split-ends 2) get them healthy & ready for some serious length. I'm happy with my hair. I want to learn to S&D but afraid of cutting off too much.
________
400gt (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_400GT)

Krifantasy
October 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I actually S&D in front of my computer while reading LHC. The background is very bright and makes it easy to see my splits. I spend about 10-15 minutes doing this a night. (I then have to run a dustbuster though.)

Sometimes it seems that the more I cut the more splits I find, but I do believe that I am really finding less as time goes. I also self trim about 1 a month or so and that helps a lot.

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Right now i don't have split ends almost at all...usually my boyfriend does my dusting.
Sometimes for good or sometimes only one part of the hair...so now i check up almost everyday split ends if i have...now i have those veeeery tiny splits..only one little dot that's white and cut off..so basically i do dusting everyday i think when i want.
And once a month a blunt cut..but almost not noticeable.

Heidi_234
October 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Somebody said splits? :eek:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6871/dsc03182wi1.jpg

This is what my ends looked like somewhere in July. It was one big splitsville. So I had to go to my hairstylist for a decent cut, it was the beginning of August. And I'm proud to say that I can't find any split ends til now. :D
Usually I have lots and lots of them. And I used to do S&D way before I encountered these forums. I also was visiting my hairstylist once every 3 months (she said that for maximized hair growth it's recommended to trim 1/3" every two months, since in two months the hair grows by 1", and it's good to cut the damage, but I don't believe them hairstylists much anymore, they are evil, and I saw that my hair actually gets longer when I don't cut it bimonthly).
But it's 3 months from my last hair cut and I don't think I need another one right now. Me happy. :D

Tressie
October 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I'd love to join. However I fear that for me it is a loosing battle. They seem to multiply for me. I have a suspicion that I am someone who will always have splits
I hear you Saranne! I get the feeling too! I think we are hair twins! (o:

I bet our great grandmothers had splits, but they probably didn't know it was so awful?

ssjhotau2
October 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I've only noticed split ends these last 2 years which incidentally is when I first started blowdrying/curling/dying. I don't know if its because I never looked before, or if its the damage done.

My hair has to be cut about once every 2 months because of splits.

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have some split ends, but I used to treat my hair not so good in the past. I've been trimming and moisturizing my ends every day for a couple of years and it's worked wonders.

Carolyn
October 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I could fight split ends daily and never win. I've had splits with never blow dried virigin hair and with colored and heat styled hair. I think it's just the nature of my hair to get splits. There are times when I kind of forget about doing S & D and my hair pays the price. This past week I've been going at it with a vengance and I really notice a difference in silkiness and far fewer tangles. I really ignored it over the summer and now I'm paying the price. I enjoy doing S & D or I probably wouldn't do it. So tonight the plan is to so a heavy oiling and CO it out in the morning with a long CO soak.

Lucky
October 27th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I've realized after many years that I'm prone to split ends and not even S&Ding regularly helps that much. I have to get microtrims to keep them at bay. I stopped S&Ding because it just stresses me out, I can always find a split end, my hair is so thin and fragile.

ilovelonghair
October 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Somebody said splits? :eek:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6871/dsc03182wi1.jpg

Oh oh, that is the mother of all split ends! I do get ones that look a bit like that, but this one beats them all :D

I still get lots of holes in my hair, just randomly somewhere in a hair. The split ends are still coming back with a vengence...

Heidi_234
October 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Oh oh, that is the mother of all split ends! I do get ones that look a bit like that, but this one beats them all :D

I still get lots of holes in my hair, just randomly somewhere in a hair. The split ends are still coming back with a vengence...

oh ah huh it is, isn't it?
I just had to take a picture of it.

Bianca
October 31st, 2008, 06:10 AM
I never have any split ends. I had when i used to bleach my hair though :p

vampodrama
October 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
my hair gets splits like its been paid to do that!

I got a trim at a salon two weeks ago. today I noticed my hair has tons of splits again.

how very irritating.

Raven69
October 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM
Hah, dunno what S&D stands for but I haven't gotten my hair trimmed/cut almost over 2 years now. Everytime I did go, the stylists always wanted to chop my hair off. The last time I got it done, they ended up cutting off more than 6 inches! I was furious! And everytime I go, they always want to either shave under my hair like on the neck and layer it. I try to get this one girl that has super long hair - longer than mine and hers is nice and thick - cause I figure for someone that has long hair like that - they would know what I was feeling and would be careful not to cut more than necessary! But I was wrong!

Plus one of my co-workers likes long hair and has long hair, but she is a civilian so she gets to wear her hair down; anywhoo she encourages me NOT to get my hair cut/trimmed because she knows that stylists do that too. My split ends are all grouped closely on the ends of my hair, but unfortunately I have hair growing all over my head so even when I get my hair trimmed it still looks like I have split ends or uneven ends cause of all of the 'flyaways' and them being different lengths.

maliha
October 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well i always had split ends,,whenever I examine my hair ends those split ends are smiling stare at me,,,I do s&d and microtrims but sum how they come back,,,,lol :)

I have read post about catnip thing to prevent splits, but i have never tried it.. I wish there could be some miracle solution to this :)

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Ohh I'm definitely joining this battle!
I've had a right fight with split ends in my time! Haha
Since I've discovered olive oil though, my hair is so much nicer to me :) hee.
I've found a massive reduction in the number of split ends I have, so I'm officially in love with oliveoil ^_^!
xx

vampodrama
November 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM
I *wish* I could use oil on my hair! but every time I've tried, it's ended up a disaster! I put one tiny-tiny drop of oil on my palms, rub it between my hands, smooth the oil over my hair... and end up looking like I haven't washed my hair in three months.

Heidi_234
November 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM
I *wish* I could use oil on my hair! but every time I've tried, it's ended up a disaster! I put one tiny-tiny drop of oil on my palms, rub it between my hands, smooth the oil over my hair... and end up looking like I haven't washed my hair in three months.
Probably your hair doesn't need the oil that way. I know type 1 hair do get easily greased unlike curlier types which desperately need moisture all the time.
Did you tried hot oil treatment? You do it right before you shower, so no walking around greasy, and it benefits just like regular oiling. I did hot oil treatment and my hair felt amazing even week after without washing!

WritingPrincess
November 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I snip splits when I see them, usually when my hair's in a braid and I'm fiddling with the tassel. I've found a lot more since doing mini-braids. Something having to do with those rubber bands . . .

Sighridh
November 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
I have a long haul ahead of me to get rid of all the damage and splits. Finally ordered a decent pair of scissors and am going to go the micro-trim monthly route to try to keep splits at least partially under control...

NurseMama
November 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
I have always battled the splits, but I have noticed a significant reduction in them since I started using henna.

neon-dream
November 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
That's the same with my sister, she has hardly any splits now since she started to Henna her hair :)
xxx

Heidi_234
November 7th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hey guys,
The split ends started to show their little ugly white heads at last, so I wanted to ask -
What's micro-trim?
At first I thought it was a little electric thingy (I saw it once on TV) that automatically detects the ends and cuts little bit before it. But I googled it and came up with something to cut nose hair or whatever.
So I decuded it had to be something like cutting just the very tips of whole locks yourself. Am I right? Is there a method for micro-trimming? Does Feye's self trim methods have to do something with micro-trim?

Kaeri
November 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I tend to do S&D towards the end of the day if i've had my hair on a braid, or sometimes on a morning on a weekend when I don't have to be off anywhere. I just tend to catch the nasty split ends that are peeping out of my braid really.

(is it sad that I now have a pair of scissors in my work drawer incase I spy any at work?? )

Sighridh
November 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Heidi, a micro-trim is simply taking off a tiny amount of hair in a trim. The last one I did measured around 1/8 of an inch of hair taken off the ends.

Ryanne
November 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I S&D when I'm bored, I cut them standing before a mirror with a bright light.

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Much as I used to dislike it, because I am growing my hair for one year without a trim, I have been doing S&D for at least 10 minutes every night. My splits and dots are becoming much easier to spot than they used to be. It's going well. The really damaged stuff jumped right out at me because of the difference in texture and being lighter in color, so most of that is gone. The last few nights, I've had to search to find only Y splits or white dots. I would never have believed I could make genuine progress at this a year and more ago.

Miyani
November 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I use nose clippers once a month whenever it's time for me to get a trim. I don't trim every week though, just every 8 to 9 weeks or when I'm bored lol.

Carina
November 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I always trim a split every now and then.But I have a hairdresser who is really good with long hair.No cutting my own hair.I'm afraid it will get uneven.

baobhan sith
November 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I have so many splits now that i'm trying practically anything. The worst thing about them is that half of them are split above my shoulder, and i have BSL hair! This is not good!

At the moment i'm trying to use catnip rinses everyday or so, keep my hair in buns and rinse in just water, or CO with no cones at the end of the week. I'm using the OCM (oil cleansing method) for my face, and that leaves some on my hands, so i just fingercomb my hair, leaving a lot of it on there. I do S&Ds whenever i get bored, but a load of girls were bitching about me after they saw me doing it on the school bus... Apparently they considered it abnormal.

I just feel that it is No Way Fair! I have virgin hair, have never used a flat iron or curler or perm or any of the evil things, have dyed my hair all of two times with semi-permenants and only ever blowdry my hair when i'm going to get hypothermia if i don't.

Any bright ideas?

jivete
November 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM
(is it sad that I now have a pair of scissors in my work drawer incase I spy any at work?? )

Naw, I have some in my drawer. In fact, I check for splits nearly every day. My cubicle has a huge window, so it's the best place to check.

I doubt I'll ever get rid of all my splits. I think it's just a fact of life for my fragile fine hair. I figure as long as I try to keep on top of it, I'll just deal with it.

joyfulmom4
November 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Catnip tea? Would I be likely to find that at my local healthfood store?

I just started doing S&D. Last night, to be exact. I had never done it before. I used to just go to the salon and have a few inches trimmed off. Now I am trying to let it grow, so I don't want to do that.

Last night, I examined my hair w/o my contact lenses (my near vision is getting poorer with age and my contacts are for distance vision) and discovered that my hair had WAY more splits than I realized. It was pretty bad. So I took a tiny scissors and snipped dozens of them. They're not just at the very ends, but along the length as well, since there are hairs at all stages of growth along the way. Ykwim.

I plan to do more S&D on a regular basis until I get it under control. I doubt that people are seeing so many NEW splits each time as they are "undiscovered" splits. I can go through a section and think I have it clear, then fluff it up a bit and new splits show themselves. I figure eventually I'll get ahead.

I have just been doing cold-water rinses, but planned to try ACV. Maybe I should try this tea?

joyfulmom4
November 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I had been reading about S&D for about 2,5 years on this site...and I was convinced I didn't have split ends because I couldn't see them. .

LOL! I didn't think I had them either. But my problem wasn't the lighting, it was my aging vision. I'm getting to the point where I really need reading glasses to see fine details up close. I can't see my splits unless I take out my contacts and/or put on reading glasses.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I discovered something about split ends. If you do S&D when your hair is heavily oiled, you won't find any. I suppose that should be pretty obvious, but I hadn't thought of it. The oil (or any other finishing treatment probably) will smooth down some of the splits so you don't see them.

I did S&D last night and got quite a few. But my hair was oiled then. This morning I shampooed and conditioned w/ my new SLS-free Aubrery Organics shampoo and cone-free AO conditioner. Now my hair is down and drying. As I search through it, I'm finding a LOT more splits. I don't think they're new. I think I'm just seeing them better now.

Monsterkitti
November 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I micro trimmed the ends a while ago but did an S&D last night and found a load in my framing layers, here was I thinking I'd got the splits on the run :/

eplonk
September 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Just joined LHC. I have heard that olive oil mends spilt ends. Is this true or is it more the effect of the smoothing down the cuticle?

Also, i think i'm pretty sure i have figured out what it refers to, but could someone please define "s&d" for me? Thx!

hoopster
September 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
i really need a satin pillowcase! maybe i'll make one today. serious business. i was on my first S&D mission and i noticed that i was finding a TON on one side and having a hard time finding any on the other..the side i sleep on, on my stomach. knowledge is power, i guess :P

Madora
September 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Just joined LHC. I have heard that olive oil mends spilt ends. Is this true or is it more the effect of the smoothing down the cuticle?

Also, i think i'm pretty sure i have figured out what it refers to, but could someone please define "s&d" for me? Thx!

Olive oil does not fix split ends. It only acts as a sort of "glue" to give the appearance of one single hair. The only thing that fixes splits ends are a pair of scissors.

S and D (Search and Destroy) is when you take small sections of hair and cut off any split ends or damaged ends. Some people prefer strong sunlight, other folks use lights, etc.

You can S and D every day, or at random. Be sure your shears are SHARP. You want a clean cut across the strands.

Splits can appear any where on a strand, and if not cut off, will continue to split, ruining the strand.

eplonk
September 30th, 2011, 04:03 AM
thx for your quick answer! do you guys have n-e tips for me about moisturizing my hair? i have been washing every 3-4 days with BS & ACV rinse, but quicky found that extremey drying. is there some other rinse i can use that won't be as harsh as the ACV?

DarkSunny
September 30th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Split ends have been a constantly losing battle for me, though I currently have the suspicion that my tangle teezer might be making them worse.

On a more amusing note, I think I found the mother of all split ends in my hair yesterday. It pretty much looked like a feather. I had no idea one tiny little hair strand could split into so many separate pieces. XD

ssjhotau2
September 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking that as soon as I hit tailbone (mini-milestone) that I'll start trimming every 3 months or so to maintain length and hopefully get rid of all the damage.
Right now I'm fighting a losing battle against splits- and S&Ding every night just isn't keeping up, I find new splits every night.
I just can't bring myself to trim the 6 inches at least I need to be rid of the final bit of chemical dye damage.

sheepofshalott
October 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Ah, search and destroy. I used to put some mellow music on and recline under a strong light to do this. I started getting panicky about finding so many splits I stopped for a while but I think it's time to get back to it!

Noreth
October 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I S&D maybe every other night, though I should do it more often seeing as my ends fail at not splitting. I still trim, too, since I can't see the hair in the back. :p
Braids are definitely a blessing and a curse; I love that I can get the splits so easily with them, but hate that I can't wear them anywhere! :angry:

Rhodugune
October 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just bought a new pair of scissors and I started my battle against split ends last night! :luke:

So I'm in! :D

My fairytale-endings needs some trimming and I don't what to loose to much length, so I decided to so it the hard way...

I'm to S&D my endings and then see how much I need to trim, so the ends don't look to thin.

I vote for before and after pics! :cheese:

rbooh
October 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
My new house has the worst lighting. I have to S&D outside, my neighbors must think I'm a kook lol

I don't S&D as much as I'd like, but I plan on changing that since I've decided to not get any sort of trim for a year.

I was looking for knitting needles at the dollar store and stumbled across "VO5 Splint End" Anti Breakage conditioner. I've never seen it before and I usually try anything that's new. Anyone try it before?

freckles
October 5th, 2011, 04:21 AM
reporting into this thread because it is so me!!

Split-ends dominate the last five-six inches of my hair, but I'm just not willing to chop that much off! In January, I will have a small trim. Until then, it's a combination of S&D, and ignoring them.

nmarie33
December 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I knew I had a lot of splits, since probably the last 8-10 inches of my hair is old stuff that I used to blowdry and straighten every day. But yesterday I saw the end of my ponytail in bright sunlight, and literally every single end was a nasty split. I'm getting married in 4 months and I want my hair to look nice, so I'm going to try to do a serious S&D at least a couple times per week until then. I don't have to do much searching though, basically I'm just cutting off every single end I see every time I S&D. Ugh. I could probably use a good 6-inch chop but I just can't bear it, I'm getting so close to tailbone and I would hate to lose the length when I'm so close to a milestone.

Happytresses
December 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I do s&d at my desk. What is amusing is how I have a small scissor in my purse, one in my car, one on my dresser, and one on my desk at work. I snip when I see one.

melusine963
December 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Pre LHC, my splits would return within three months. Now that I oil, wear my hair up, and treat it very gently, I can go at least two or three times as long.

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I don't really get a lot of them but I will start search and destroying since I'm going to try not trimming for a year. To avoid possible split ends I oil my ends daily and have my hair up as much as possible.

merrow
October 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I usually only check for split ends every 6-7 months. The method I use to find them is by twisting my hair and chopping off whichever little pieces stick out. Afterward my hair is very smooth and looks shinier. :)

Wallabear
October 25th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Split ends are the bane of my existence. Every time I look down at my hair, I see them and they look back at me with evil in their eyes. I do microcuts every once in a while with a real pair of hair scissors, and sometimes if I have the patience and time I'll sift through my hair one by one and cut off the little 2-3 headed devils. If I really had to get rid of them, I'd have to get my hair chopped right under my ears, and I will not do that... so it's going to be a long battle trying to repair this poor mess I've made of these fine threads.

cat11
August 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I find it hard to see and I cant really tell which hairs are split, even when inspecting the ends of my braids which I know have to have some splits just because of the texture and the abuse my old hair at the bottom went through. So I never s&d... I just do 1/2 inch trims twice a year to keep my ends in check.

I S&D maybe every other night, though I should do it more often seeing as my ends fail at not splitting. I still trim, too, since I can't see the hair in the back. :p
Braids are definitely a blessing and a curse; I love that I can get the splits so easily with them, but hate that I can't wear them anywhere! :angry:
Why cant you wear them anywhere? If your hair is really long you can always loop them up or make little bun at the base (think sailor moon) to eat some length. I like doing two braids down my back, one on top with the top half of my hair and then another one on the bottom. If you have shorter hair or thicker hair it's easier to wear it in two braids, I think. My hair has gotten long enough to do a single braid in the back but I still wear it in two because it's easier to avoid my grown out "bangs" from falling out. And easier to braid with how thick my hair is. Haha.

Akville
August 25th, 2014, 11:24 AM
doing S&D every three moths or so