PDA

View Full Version : SMT, or something else?

heyshortyhey
September 17th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I colored my hair three or four days ago, and before I did, I decided to clarify and chelate. I've chelated once before, and I liked the results I got. We have really hard water, my hair is pretty coarse and curly, and I always just thought that was how my hair was SUPPOSED to feel, so I never questioned it. I used lemon juice and water, but I plan on getting an actual chelating shampoo soon--but anyway, I think I might have overdone the lemon juice or something, because my ends have been really...not crunchy, but just rough feeling. Some extra splashed into the bowl when I measured the lemon juice out, so I'm thinking that's what it was. I put some conditioner in the ends and let it sit for a while afterwards, but I still had that feeling.

I want to get moisture back into my hair, but I don't want to sacrifice my color! (I'm a box-red head) that's one of the reasons I chelated at all this time, I heard getting all that junk and stuff out of your hair might help the color last longer. So would an SMT be a good idea, or something else, do you think? Or maybe just adding some honey to my conditioner? Or maybe even LITHL method? (leave it the hell alone)

Thanks yall. :)

akilina
September 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Hmm this is a tough draw.
Chemical reds fade SO fast. I have the same issue with my black. I love BLACK super jet black hair yet it always fades a bit and it is a huge pet peeve!
I have been avoiding SMTs..hate to admit :/
I have actually been avoiding mostly anything that might make my color come out.

I would try getting some aloe gel (the real stuff, not the weird blue or green gellys with other un necessary ingredients. Fruit of the Earth is great from what I hear.
I just get mine from the co-op. Its 100% aloe that is all. With a mild preservative which I have researched and it is fine.
I say this because very recently I tried aloe as a leave in and it is AMAZING! Especially on my ends..it makes them so soft.

I do aim more towards the leave it alone though. If you are going to use honey make sure you heat it first..I have heard this makes the peroxide ineffective? Not exactly sure just going off of what I have heard around here.
Try to do something focusing on the ends, like oiling just the ends, or aloe as a leave in. Serious softness.

Ahh, I apologize if I make no sense, or sound scatter brained. I just spent 6 hours in the car today and am running off of partying all weekend and very little sleep. :)

heyshortyhey
September 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM
RIGHT! See that's where I am right now. I like to color my hair, and as nice as I try to be to mine, coloring just works for me. Sometimes I color every 3-4 months, sometimes every 6 month. It depends on what is going on with my life. And I've been avoiding SMTs because I hear oils (don't they say to add oil; coconut or olive or something? Not sure, but I always did--) fade red/colors faster. I haven't even been using oil in my ends because I want to see how long this red can actually last me.

I can usually go 3 days between a wash but I just feel gross. I keep thinking if I wash it, it might feel better, but it doesn't, and I don't understand. After I chelated I rinsed with cold water and I'm pretty sure I even rubbed some conditioner with honey into my ends.

I bought some aloe, but I don't think it was the real stuff. I'll definitely look this Fruit of the Earth stuff up, though, because I need a leave-in type product and haven't been able to find one I like. Thanks :)

EDIT: Oh, I remember now. The first night I colored I squeezed the entire packet of conditioner they put in the boxes, and normally my hair feels amazing after that, but it felt horrible, and I didn't even blow dry. I was like wtf is going on? So the next day I did the honey and conditioner.

akilina
September 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM
RIGHT! See that's where I am right now. I like to color my hair, and as nice as I try to be to mine, coloring just works for me. Sometimes I color every 3-4 months, sometimes every 6 month. It depends on what is going on with my life. And I've been avoiding SMTs because I hear oils (don't they say to add oil; coconut or olive or something? Not sure, but I always did--) fade red/colors faster. I haven't even been using oil in my ends because I want to see how long this red can actually last me.

I can usually go 3 days between a wash but I just feel gross. I keep thinking if I wash it, it might feel better, but it doesn't, and I don't understand. After I chelated I rinsed with cold water and I'm pretty sure I even rubbed some conditioner with honey into my ends.

I bought some aloe, but I don't think it was the real stuff. I'll definitely look this Fruit of the Earth stuff up, though, because I need a leave-in type product and haven't been able to find one I like. Thanks :)

EDIT: Oh, I remember now. The first night I colored I squeezed the entire packet of conditioner they put in the boxes, and normally my hair feels amazing after that, but it felt horrible, and I didn't even blow dry. I was like wtf is going on? So the next day I did the honey and conditioner.
Oh I am worse, I color every month! :) very responsibly of course though. I learned I can not stretch washes at all, and just have to stick to plain ole S + C.
I think a little oil in your ends would be just fine. Also, rinsing with cold water is great. I do it every day.

Darnit I wrote a bunch more but it just sounded ridiculous because I am soo tired. I am out of here for now but I will be back in the morning :)

heyshortyhey
September 20th, 2012, 01:02 PM
bump!

I need some serious help. My hair still hasn't gotten any better. :(

Faux
September 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Try going to a salon for a deep conditioning treatment. I absolutely love these. Also, is it possible that your ends need a trim? Hope that helps.

heyshortyhey
September 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
They probably do need a trim...I think my last one was in April. I might have my friend trim my hair. I just need SOMETHING. I feel so ugly.

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not very impressed with SMT. I get the same results just letting my hair marinate in conditioner for awhile, like when I soak in a bath.

I love Joico KPak Reconstructor, though. It's worth every penny.

heyshortyhey
September 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Which would you recc.? The Reconstructor or the intense hydrating one?

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
The one I've used is both protein and moisture. I remember the word "Reconstructor" on the label.

heyshortyhey
September 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Okay, thanks.I think I'll try the hydrating one first. My hair is very protein-sensitive and gets crispy easily.

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sounds good; I hope it works as well for you as the Reconstructor did for me.

heyshortyhey
September 24th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just got it in the mail today. Put some in my hair for about 10 minutes and it felt so nice and silky. Rinsed, wrung my hair out, put a little more in the ends then wrapped my hair up. Will let it dry like this and check it out tomorrow. Super excited!

ravenreed
September 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
One of of the hair dye manufacturer sites (L'Oreal maybe) I read that using a lemon juice rinse after coloring hair is actually beneficial and recommended. Are you sure that what you are feeling isn't the result of coloring your hair rather than the lemon juice? Did you dilute the lemon juice with water?

ETA: My hair hates SMT's. If yours is okay with them, it might help. Otherwise, I would just put a lot of conditioner in my hair and let is sit for a half hour or so.