PDA

View Full Version : my first homemade shampoo :)

DinaAG
September 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM
i just made my first homemade shampoo no sulfates no paraben and it works great so i wanted to share it with you:
1) 1/4 cup castile soap
2) 1/4 cup homemade coconut milk
3) teaspoon aloe vera gel
4) teaspoon my oils mix "whatever suits you"
5) teaspoon cocoa butter and shea butter mix
it worked just great, cleaned my hair and hydrated it i did not even needed a conditioner, enjoy ;) :beerchug:

Pirate Cat
September 16th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting! Do you have any trouble with build-up or residue from the castile soap? Do you have hard water?

I'm glad you found something natural that works!

DinaAG
September 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
no dear just moisturized clean hair and scalp, no irritation like i get from sulfate shampoos

rock007junkie
September 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
This looks like a good recipie for a cleansing conditioner. Something to use when you don't have a lot of time to condition your hair. Thanks for sharing.

DinaAG
September 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
ah sorry i forgot to mention: 5 drops of glycerin and half teaspoon of panthenol cream

Pirate Cat
September 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think I might try this. I'm getting sick of store bought shampoos. I've heard mixed things about castile soap, so every time I hear a success story it makes me more eager to try it.

Chimom79
September 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds like something I'd love to try as well. Awesome it worked so well! :thumbsup:

DinaAG
September 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM
try it and let me know about the results :)

blueyedbandit
September 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
how long do you think this shampoo would last before getting old?

Lesiaoc
October 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Interesting! Do you have any trouble with build-up or residue from the castile soap? Do you have hard water?

I'm glad you found something natural that works!
I've also been doing research on similar homemade shampoos and am currently accumulating the ingredients. I have extremely hard water and castile soap does not work well with it, but I have read that doing a vinegar rinse after shampooing takes care of that problem.

I'm going to be using liquid castile soap, vegetable glycerine, essential oils, herbs and maybe a carrier oil. I hope this works well, and it will be hard for me to stray from store-bought conditioners but hopefully I can find a recipe that satisfies in the future :)

Lesiaoc
October 11th, 2012, 06:37 PM
how long do you think this shampoo would last before getting old?
Based on similar ingredients, I have read 6 months maximum without freezing.

AineMuirne
October 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
My recipe is very similar! :)

3 parts castile soap, 2 parts coconut milk, 2 parts aloe vera juice, a dash of honey, sometimes a bit of baking soda. I don't store mine in the fridge, so I only make enough for a few days at a time. It does go rancid after 2 weeks or so when stored in the shower, but my ingredients are preservative-free. I rinse with an ACV and aloe vera mixture then condition on top of it after shampooing. Because the water here is super hard, it feels a bit icky directly after rinsing the shampoo out, but the ACV/aloe rinse gets rid of that. Nothing makes my hair look/feel better!

DinaAG
October 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
perfect :) as its hard here in Egypt to get castile soap "last time a friend coming from USA brought it to me" so i will saponify the oils myself using KOH crossing fingers it will be nice :)