PDA

View Full Version : Biotin

thisisnttakenye
September 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
So, I have had kindof a difficult journey growing my hair out. When I was 4 I had to have open heart surgery, and because of it, I wasn't very healthy in the begging of my life. My hair was thin, and literally wouldn't grow. I have never had more than an infrequent trims throughout my life, and now (at age 14) it is barley BSL. However, with biotin, (a vitamin my hairdresser recomended) my hair has grown well over 3 inches in the past 7 months, which for me is astonishing. I was just wondering if anyone else out their took biotin, and the effects it had on them. Also, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues as me with hair growth.

lapushka
September 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM
So, I have had kindof a difficult journey growing my hair out. When I was 4 I had to have open heart surgery, and because of it, I wasn't very healthy in the begging of my life. My hair was thin, and literally wouldn't grow. I have never had more than an infrequent trims throughout my life, and now (at age 14) it is barley BSL. However, with biotin, (a vitamin my hairdresser recomended) my hair has grown well over 3 inches in the past 7 months, which for me is astonishing. I was just wondering if anyone else out their took biotin, and the effects it had on them. Also, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues as me with hair growth.

About 3 inches in 7 months sounds pretty normal to me, as far as hair growth goes. I'd also be careful with any supplementation (bar say a multivitamin), especially at your age.

FrozenBritannia
September 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
There are many threads on Biotin here, and some very good information in them :)

lmfbs
September 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Biotin is something I would never recommend to someone unless they have been recommended it by a doctor.

There are a thousand other things I would recommend before taking a pill. Biotin isn't something that you should need if you have a reasonable diet.

For me, it was horrible for my skin, and gave me bad headaches.

noelgirl
September 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I've tried Biotin, and it made me break out. Which is odd, since it's indicated as being good for skin, but I've tried it twice now and both times it happened within days, so it's starting to look like a pretty clear correlation.

longforthis
September 16th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I've been taking Biotin (Solgar brand. I ordered it, then due to damage got the bottle for free. LOL) to increase hair growth. I discovered it was actually a B Vitamin. Don't know why it didn't click before, but I was surprised nonetheless.

I haven't had any issues with Biotin as far as skin go, or side effects in general. I take 1000mg (or MCG? I don't have the bottle, so I'm not quite sure anymore.) daily; one pill.

It's a water soluble vitamin, so you need to drink adequate amounts of water when taking Biotin. The same goes with other vitamins.

My hair has been growing fast, but I think I can credit that to the occasional use of castor oil.

After I run out, I don't plan on purchasing it again, simply because I would prefer to stick with more "natural things". Such as topical use of castor oil (DEFINITELY seen results with that), good diet (good fats, raw veggies and fruit), head massage, coconut oil (promotes a healthy scalp for me), and avoiding commercial shampoo's. (No 'Poo, CO, and WO.)

I've watched a lot of Youtube video's about it, and read personal accounts, and it just seems it depends on the person.

Some people swear by it, others throw it in the trash.

Silverbrumby
September 16th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I've been on biotin now for over a year with no side effects. My hairs seems to be healthier but the most striking effect is on my nails. For the first time in 40 odd years I have these amazing, long, strong nails. Nothing else worked for them.

My feeling about biotin is this. I have a girlfriend with amazing hair, she doesn't need supplements. Her hair and nails just grow grow grow beautifully. I on the other hand have onion peel nails and the only thing that helped me grow them was biotin. I think there is something about my body which requires more of it than others.

I don't take things that don't work. Biotin works for me.

It's a relatively safe supplement and excess gets pee'd out. You might run it by your Dr. to let them know. Personally, if you're getting good results, would stick to it for a good year or two.

Chimom79
September 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I bought Biotin about a week ago, so that's how long I have been on them. Hopefully I won't have any issues and it will help a bit.

pullanmuru
September 16th, 2012, 11:26 PM
It's a water soluble vitamin, so you need to drink adequate amounts of water when taking Biotin. The same goes with other vitamins.

I think the fact that it's water soluble has more to do with the excretion of the vitamin via urine rather than what or how much you drink when you take it. It just means that any excess biotin will be removed from the body, unlike fat soluble vitamins that might build up in the body in too large amounts when taken excessively.

Biotin is one of those vitamins that are necessary for cell growth. But scientists have found no real data backing up that taking biotin or B7 will actually help hair growth unless you're actually deficient in B7. And deficiency in B7 is quite rare in western civilizations. If you have deficiency it will manifest itself with hair falling out and chipping brittle nails (which of course could be due to million other reasons as well). But because it is water soluble there's no real harm taking supplements since any amount that the body doesn't use, you pee it out :) and it's very well tolerated in even high quantities.

I've heard of some hair enthusiasts taking the biotin tablets meant for horses :D You can guess, they're stronger AND cheaper than the human brands.

akilina
September 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Keep this in mind... Reading a few different bottles I have with biotin in them...The DAILY amount of biotin you "need" is 300mcg.

I do not understand why so many overdose, and MEGAdose to "build up their tolerance" to biotin like its some kind of street drug or alcohol.

Your body naturally produces biotin and nearly no one is deficient in it.

I only say this in worry for you as you are so young..I do not know how much you take a day or anything. Just be responsible and don't over do it. :flower:

On the other hand- That is great that biotin works for some people..For me it gave me headaches from HELL, bad bad bad cystic acne that lasted for months, and all my hair grew incredibly rapidly....except for my head hair.
I figured something that did all that to me...for 1/8 of an inch extra growth a month was not worth it.
I now just stick to my multi B vitamin complex, that includes only the small daily dose of biotin and I am just fine. When I had problems I was taking one, 1000mcg cap.

catamonica
September 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I tried biotin. It didn't do anything for my hair. Two years ago my hair stalled at waist. I started wearing my hair up. Now it's at hip. I hope this helps.

bjt
September 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
like someone said above, I originally started taking biotin to see if it would help my hair from thinning but the biggest side effect was that my nails got really strong. I don't take it every day... maybe 2 or 3 times a week at most, but if I stop taking it my nails start breaking very quickly. Its remarkable, I had always had short brittle nails previously.

as far as my hair, its certainly not hurting. my thinning stopped when I stopped taking another medication and its slowly going back to its previous thickness. or at least closer to it than it was!

nakima
September 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM
ive tried biotin as well not sure if it helped but one thing Im doing that got my hair growing again is throwing a handful of fresh spinache in a blender along with some carrots and apples or what ever veggies you like blending them up and drinking them down at least one glass a day. I cant believe the difference in my hair, getting your nutrients naturally is the best way,and I think its really cool that your hair is growing for you. oh yeah if you try this drink and you dont like the thickness just strain it and drink the juice. I also use the the fiber for making muffins yummy! good luck!and remember whatever works best for you :)