PDA

View Full Version : Chelated hair = Thicker ponytail?

tambalina
September 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
After looking at all the maps for my area for hard water, I discovered that I live in an area that has VERY high mineral content in our water. So I went to Sally's and picked up Ion Crystal Clarifying Treatment. It's a little purple packet full of "crystals" next to their perming supplies.

It says to measure out 2 oz. water and mix the crystal packet in a bottle applicator, but I just mixed it in my hands in small batches as I sectioned my hair. Wrapped my hair in plastic wrap, blasted it with my hair dryer, and then placed a warm towel fresh out of the dryer on top of that. Twenty minutes later, I took my shower and did my nightly wet hair ritual.

Well, this morning I noticed my hair felt fuller and I had a lot more body at the crown than usual. So I whipped out my measuring tape and saw that I had gained 3/8" in circumference since I measured last week!! I assumed that removing mineral deposits would have made my hair thinner . . .

Not that I'm complaining for having fuller hair (:applause), but is this normal? Or should I have left my conditioner on longer after rinsing out the chelating gel?

lmfbs
September 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Could it be that the process has raised the cuticles of your hair? I know chelating is very harsh on hair. Did you make sure to close your cuticles after?

tambalina
September 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I did a cold water, ACV rinse. It was just strange at the time. I'll take thicker hair any day. Thank you for the response!