PDA

View Full Version : Annoying frontal strands.

fairhairedthing
September 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM
So, I have these awful strands right over and in front of my ears that never like growing past 1" below chin length.

Right now they're just at chin length, each strand is "sharpie marker width" not quite pencil, larger. I hate them with passion and no matter how good of care I give them, they never like to grow.

I've trimmed off their splits and waited, I've put them back and away in non-comb headbands, nothing works.

My routine at 19" hair is condition with cones, shampoo sulfate free, and condition with cones (I use cones because my hair is mildly processed and "needs" them to look ok at the moment, working on that, it will change).

I coat my ends (and the weird strands) with cassia and only lighten my roots (20v developer to a light ash blonde for 20 mins or less).

The rest of my hair is in fair/good condition and I have no other trouble spots. Just the "sideburns".

Also I am growing out bangs along with them.

Is there any hair style, or what, that can better protect them and allow them to grow or is this a bad thing that I am stuck with (i.e. terminal length :mad: )?

Any suggestions as to how to grow these things out are greatly appreciated. I'm sure other people have the problem.

FrozenBritannia
September 16th, 2012, 09:26 AM
That might be their terminal length. :shrug:

Madora
September 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
If they are sideburns, then they won't grow long. The side burn hair is very fragile and can't take a lot of damage. Just keep them trimmed and concentrate on the rest of your hair.

Jorja
September 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
As you can see in my signature picture, I have similar strands all around my head. Childhood pictures show the same strands. 41 years waiting for them to catch up with the rest of my hair! I always have baby hairs growing round my face. I just accept now I have a quick turnaround of hair lol.

I would imagine they'd look quite pretty and face framing how you describe them. Maybe you could clip them back if you really don't like them :)

islandboo
September 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have the same type of face framing strands - they never get longer, just not programmed for it.

melusine963
September 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I have the same problem you do. Nothing's made my front strands grow any longer, but oiling them carefully has greatly improved how they behave. The actually lie smoothly now, rather than making me look as though I'd electrecuted myself.

Kat
September 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I get these too, only they're all over my head.

I keep thinking they're probably damaged, but what to do? I have to keep them clipped back or I look incredibly unkempt, even though I wonder if it's the barrettes that are damaging them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, though.

Ticky
September 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I have them, too. Not just near the ears, but especially in the front. They can be a pain, but I sometimes use mine to make updos look more casual, as opposed to the very strict, pulled back look.

jojo
September 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Me too! It's normal ignore them and just concentrate on your hair that does get longer!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I get these too, I like to encourage them to curl into "kiss" curls to soften the look of my updos.

They never grow longer than chin length on me.

truepeacenik
September 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Likely they are hats meant to be petite, however, do you wear glasses with wire temple pieces? They can catch hairs and break them...and we do it at least twice a day!
Some clear nail polish can cover any seams.

fairhairedthing
September 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies! It's a relief to hear I'm not somehow screwing things up for the poor hairs. I think I will take the suggestions and ignore them/pin them back and away. They're just fine when pinned/hair banded back behind my ears for now and I suppose I can learn to live with them.

:)

dwell_in_safety
September 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I have sideburns and baby hairs that grow at the nape of my neck and along my front hairline. I just kind of embrace them and enjoy the casual, youthful look that they add to any updo, particularly French twists as I REALLY don't have a severe personality.

KittyBird
September 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I just checked mine, and they appear to pretty much as long as the rest of my hair. A few strands on each side are between chin and shoulder length, and the rest are BSL to waist length. I've never done anything in particular to them, they've just grown on their own.
I think wispy baby hair around the face is very pretty though, it frames the face and softens most updos ;)

Vrindi
September 17th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I have these. I've always had these. They don't grow any longer. I pull them forward from updo's and coax them into nice little romantic curls. You can train them to do this.

spirals
September 17th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I have them purposely because otherwise updos are too severe for my facial structure.

alyaziaaah
September 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I have those too, very annoying, my sideburns are stickstraight, fine medium, the rest of my hair is coarse 2c,3a, plus they stand in different direction and also don't grow longer than maybe 2 inch below chin. Sometimes I trim them, most of the time I am just annoyed and put them behind my ears haha

KwaveT
September 17th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have not let mine grow for all that long. I suspect they aren't going to reach super lengths since it does look like sideburn hair.

truepeacenik
September 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of this.... The same area of hair is peyos, right?
See here (http://www.getkempt.com/high-and-tight/grooming-for-god-the-payos.php)

So, it obviously can grow, but I'm wondering what the longest peyos I've seen are.
And I'm thinking waist, taking the push behind the ear into account.
Likely the curling (and some moms use curlers on their sons) helps them grow longer.

Maybe
September 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mine drive me absolutely insane. If I want to wear my hair up, I have to wet them and twist them with a few longer strands so it looks like I intended to have a few locks loose.

Otherwise, they look like this:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/geri719/2012-09-17195611-1-1.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Mine drive me absolutely insane. If I want to wear my hair up, I have to wet them and twist them with a few longer strands so it looks like I intended to have a few locks loose.

Otherwise, they look like this:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/geri719/2012-09-17195611-1-1.jpg

Haha, mine are JUST the same! Even when wet they don't even behave and sometimes they rebel by deciding to stick out horizontally!

Maybe
September 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Haha, mine are JUST the same! Even when wet they don't even behave and sometimes they rebel by deciding to stick out horizontally!

I feel your pain, sister! That is what mine do, hence the having to pull a few other strands down to twist them with. otherwise, straight out sideways and then a little curve on the bottom.

Ridicuous. Ans they never grow, permanently at 3 inches long.

MrsGuther
September 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I think everybody has those. And I agree, they are really annoying!! Ughhh. I feel your pain.

auroraclio
September 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have those and the same thing on my temples, baby hairs that will never go longer than 3 or 4 inches, oh well!