PDA

View Full Version : Snarly ends

Messyhair
September 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM
What to do... what to do...

My ends have been a bit rough feeling (just a bit) and tangling, when I normally don't get tangles. I clarified by shampooing the whole thing a couple of weeks ago - I don't normally shampoo the length at all - but the problem persists. It's as though it doesn't get enough conditioner, but I'm sure it does!

Could I need clarifying on a more frequent basis now that my hair is just past waist? Does this sound like build up? It's only the last 3 inches or so that are affected. I've been doing regular S&D trims and don't have a lot of damage to snip off when I do them, so I don't think I need a full trim...?

Oh, and I should mention that I do wear my hair up daily in a bun, with a rare once-a-week-if-even-then leaving it down. The tangles occur every day, when I take my bun down for the night/when I comb my hair out in the morning/whenever I comb it during the day (if I do).

Any explanations or suggestions?

DinaAG
September 15th, 2012, 07:10 PM
what about a deep oiling on the ends over the night or more in the bun if you can?

gthlvrmx
September 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I bun each day and night too, and i always have tangles when i change my bun, but oiling helped.
Maybe there's protein in your conditioner that your hair dont like too much of? im guessing it could be overload if its that, but you clarified so might not be the case
was it a clarifying shampoo?
hows the hardness in water in your area?

Messyhair
September 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hmmm... I never oil my hair so maybe it would help. I'll have to pick some up when I have the money. I know nothing about oils, despite being a member here for so long. :p

Messyhair
September 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
No idea about the hardness of the water, but I never even thought of that!! It probably is hard water here. And I have no idea about clarifying vs. non-clarifying... I thought shampooing the length was clarifying enough. Hmm.... it was sulfate-free, so probably not clarifying?

gthlvrmx
September 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
hmm maybe you need something stronger that has sulphates in it. neautrogena anti residue is really good but very drying so maybe protein treatment and then a SMT is best afterwards to make things balanced since it really takes away both things and leaves it like a desert.

i heard shampoo was alrite to clarify with, but sometimes you need something stronger if stuff is built up. maybe try a clarifying shampoo like neautrogena.
and if it doesnt help even after clarifying, moisturzing, and all, then you can try (not right after but maybe a week or more later on) club soda? or joico chelating shampoo.

check the hardness in your area! that MIGHT be the problem!! you can go online and find maps of your region. buying a filter, chelating/club soda rinses really help and even ACV rinses to keep it from happening in the first place.

eta: since chelating right after clarifying is REALLY harsh, id suggest club soda if it IS a hard water problem.

DinaAG
September 15th, 2012, 07:21 PM
coconut oil is good and cheap dear also you can try extra virgin olive oil

Kelikea
September 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
When mine get like this, I usually need a trim. It happens like once a year, maybe twice. If it happens any other time, I add a bit of conditioner or to the damp ends and comb through. If you don't see any splits, white dots, or crazy bent-looking ends, try the conditioner or oil. I hope it helps:)

bunnylake
September 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Coconut oil is one of the only oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft to condition it from the inside out. Definitely pick some up! Trader Joes has it for around 5 or 6 dollars, if you have one in your area. Try oiling the ends daily, and see if that helps.
Also, maybe it's time for a tiny trim!
Good luck!

alexis917
September 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
My hair gets kind of like that if I accidentally go overboard on the shampoo.
When that happens to me, I skip the shampoo the next day and just rinse with water.
Then coat my ends with oil, braid it, and sleep. It softens it right up.
Good luck!

Madora
September 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM
If buildup is the case of your tangles, then you need to clarify with a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo is the most gentle).

After you clarify, be sure to condition.

You might wish to look into using mineral oil for your ends. It helps keep moisture in your hair, plus is a great detangler and helps tame the frizzies.

You only need to use a drop or two. There is no after scent and it leaves your hair shiny, soft and supple.

For best results, the mineral oil should only contain MO plus a fragrance. Additives tend to make it less effective.

Messyhair
September 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hmm... I tried mineral oil before but WAY more than a drop or two, so maybe that's why I hated the results. I don't find that just a drop or two does anything, though. Should I not notice a difference in my hair right away when I've added oil? Maybe it has a cumulative effect over time?

Coconut oil here costs at least $15, so I'm hoping to find a cheaper stash in Maine when I visit in a couple of weeks. Surely I can find something!

CurlyCurves
September 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Perhaps try chelating? My hair was already fine, no real problems, but since chelating, it tangles much less and is smoother.

lapushka
September 16th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Like Madora, I recommend trying mineral oil; just a few drops is enough. If you want to go with silicones, however, try a serum to seal in the ends.

Messyhair
September 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I know nothing about chelating, except when it involves drugs. No idea how to go about chelating involving hair...

gthlvrmx
September 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I know nothing about chelating, except when it involves drugs. No idea how to go about chelating involving hair...

Chelating involves drugs?? all i know its great to get those minerals out.

CurlyCurves
September 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM

LMAO! :spitting:

I'm not sure about chelating RE drugs, but the chelating I'm referring to is a shampoo that removes minerals that bind to the cuticle.

You can also chelate with citric acid, I believe. But I prefer to use the shampoo.

gthlvrmx
September 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
LMAO! :spitting:

I'm not sure about chelating RE drugs, but the chelating I'm referring to is a shampoo that removes minerals that bind to the cuticle.

You can also chelate with citric acid, I believe. But I prefer to use the shampoo.

im not sure if citric acid chelates much, acv doesnt i think, ktani wrote an article about it i think. thats what im getting from memory, acv doesnt help with buildup(not sure about the minerals) and citric acid, well i dont think does much for minerals but i dont know really! XD

ravenreed
September 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
My hair gets more tangle-prone the longer it gets. I suggest a trim to see if that helps. It often does amazing things just to take off an inch. Otherwise, it could be your routine.

A way to tell if you have hard water is if you get mineral buildup on your sink faucets. If so, try a vinegar or lemon juice rinse.

Messyhair
September 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hee hee!! Some times chelating drugs is good and some times it isn't... I'm a pharmacist. :)

So I need to try a chelating shampoo or a clarifying shampoo, or both... and some oil. I'll use trimming as a last resort.

Madora
September 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Chelating is to remove mineral buildup.

Clarifying is to remove buildup.

I wouldn't recommend doing both in the same month. Both are very hard on your hair and should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Clarifying can also be done with baking soda and water, but it's a challenge to get the mix right so you don't dry out your hair. Some people don't like it as it leaves their hair straw like. I don't have a bad result with it. I am comfortable with this method, but I am holding off right now to try to go longer between clarifying sessions. Afterwards, the suggestion of especially a deep moisture treatment is a good one.

jojo
September 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hmm... I tried mineral oil before but WAY more than a drop or two, so maybe that's why I hated the results. I don't find that just a drop or two does anything, though. Should I not notice a difference in my hair right away when I've added oil? Maybe it has a cumulative effect over time?

Coconut oil here costs at least $15, so I'm hoping to find a cheaper stash in Maine when I visit in a couple of weeks. Surely I can find something!

I have used baby oil for most of the year and for me up to now have had good results but I'm noticing the results are not the same anymore, my hair started to get more tangly, sticking together on the ends. I don't know if this was due to the baby oil but changing my routine helped a lot.

To get rid of mine I clarified and have gone back to coconut oil which I sometimes mix with a drop of coney conditioner, my ends thank god are now back to normal. Sometimes no matter what you do a little trim is what's needed.

Prasinaki
September 20th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Hi, just noticed your thread. I too had a problem with tangles. I posted my experience here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100741&highlight=tangles+protein

Hope it helps.