PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have lopsided growth?

katfemme89
September 15th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I've been feeling some velcro-ey ends on the layers in my hair for a while now and have been itching to trim it, so today I did. And as always, I brushed my hair forward over my head to cut it in front of me (this is an awesome trick if you like layers because it gives a nice V shape AND it doesn't take any length off the longest layer :D) and lo and behold, the left side was a whole INCH longer than the right side! And last time I trimmed the same way, I got it PERFECTLY even! Whaaat is the deal????

I noticed that the long side was the "heavy" side--the side where the most hair goes when I part it. Does that have something to do with it? Or is that a genetic thing or what? I've never noticed it doing that before, and I've cut my own hair for a LONG time!

So, what's up with that?

spidermom
September 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM
My right side tends to grow a little faster, although I've noticed that when I leave it alone for an entire year, the left side catches up to a certain extent.

It's like three months after trimming, my right side will be unmistakenly longer than the left.

12 months after trimming, it's hard to tell.

katfemme89
September 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My right side tends to grow a little faster, although I've noticed that when I leave it alone for an entire year, the left side catches up to a certain extent.

It's like three months after trimming, my right side will be unmistakenly longer than the left.

12 months after trimming, it's hard to tell.

Hmmm, that's really interesting. Almost like one side grows, then the other side grows, etc instead of it all growing at once.

DANG, BODY YOU CRAZY! lol

ravenreed
September 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have one side that is always a bit longer than the other. It is one reason that I trim so often.

Natalia
September 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
i have had lopsided growth for a long time usually about an inch inch and a half differance, my mom is the same just not as bad so i chalk it up to genetics. I hardly ever wear my hair down so it doesnt bother me much.

Chimom79
September 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Im not sure if Ive always had this issue, but Ive noticed lately that my right side is a bit longer than the left. It seems like it in my pics anyway. I am wanting to go get a very small trim to even them up. I am not sure when that will be though.

gthlvrmx
September 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
yes i have that, my left side is longer and one side of my head is thicker than the other side, same with my mom :) probably longer by about an inch but its not too noticeable. but i do feel more hair on one side than the other and actually, i had this funny thing always happening to me, i forgot which side was it, but when my hair was shorter (about shoulder-apl) my hair would fall one side normally, and the other side looked like i combed it back! it always came out that way after i towel dried, like the hair on one side didnt fall forward, it went back o.O people always assumed thats how i did my hair, but i didnt care for my hair back then and let it do what it wanted. i think it had to do with the whole having more hair on one side thing. :p interesting huh?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 15th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Well, I think I have more hair on my right side than my left, have no idea why...

BrightEyes
September 15th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have one side that is always a bit longer than the other. It is one reason that I trim so often.

Me too. My right side grows faster than my left. I have to trim it fairly often or it starts bugging me.

cwarren
September 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
The hair on the right side of my body grows faster than the left. The eyelashes on my right eye are longer than the left and I have to pluck my right eyebrow more often than the left one.

And the hair on the right side of my head is healthier than the left, because I constantly trim the right side and there are no split ends. I once went a year without trimming and my right side was 4 inches longer than the left :( Its annoying, but extremely common.

FrozenBritannia
September 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I have one side that consistantly grows faster too. :shrug:

katfemme89
September 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
This is quite a strange phenomenon, and apparently quite common! At least I can find comfort in the fact that I'm not the only lopsided head out there!:o

eros
September 16th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I feel like a total noobie now, but what are velcro ends?

DancingQueen
September 16th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I don't know, but my left side is currently a bit longer than my right. Not much, but enough to notice. Could also be due to bad hairdressers, who can't cut my hair. :rolleyes:

I think it is pretty common though, not just with hair, but also your body. My left side in general is a bit longer than my right - not enough for others to notice unless they look really close though. Hm, maybe I do have lopsided growth, it makes a bit more sense now.

DragonFlyPie
September 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I totally have the lopsided thing going on! I think my right side is way thicker than my left, kind of annoying when i'm doing braids, because they don't look the same when i part down the center. And i do have faster hair growth on one side of my body! LOL Like my right armpit hair grows way faster than the left :D It's kind of funny actually. I'll have one fuzzy pit & one barely fuzzy pit. Never really paid attention to my legs, but i bet the right one gets fuzzier faster. Will have to watch them now & see!

Libbylou
September 16th, 2012, 05:31 AM
The left side of my hair is way thicker. However, I always have the right ends of my bangs cut a bit shorter due to a giant cow lick.

melusine963
September 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'd never heard of lopsided growth before, but I suppose it makes sense that not every strand is growing at the same rate. After all, my finger nails grow at different rates, too. I've just looked at some of my old length shots, but sadly my hair is too wavy to tell if there's any uneveness going on.

Shepherdess
September 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I think that my hair has some lopsided, or uneven growth also! I believe that at times some hairs grow at different rates, or one side sometimes grows a little faster than the rest, but when the growth on that sides finally stalls, or perhaps takes a break, the ones on the other side (or uneven ones) grow out and catch up to the rest.

Alva
September 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
My left side always grows faster too, and because I wear it down regularly I think my right side also gets more breakage somehow, since I am right handed.

Ligeia_13
September 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I do! :D My left side grows in nice and thick and my right side is always splitting and getting thin ends and growing slower. It. Is. Annoying.

ladyshep
September 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mine had to do with cowlicks when I started growing. One side was always longer. Now that it is heavier in weight with the length, it is pretty even.

katfemme89
September 16th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I feel like a total noobie now, but what are velcro ends?

It's when your hair is totally detangled and has no reason to be tangled at the ends, but when you run a brush or your fingers through your hair, the ends still "stick" together and tangle, like they're made of velcro. It sucks.

eros
September 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM
It's when your hair is totally detangled and has no reason to be tangled at the ends, but when you run a brush or your fingers through your hair, the ends still "stick" together and tangle, like they're made of velcro. It sucks.
Ohhh come to think of it I have that quite often! atleast I think so.. so it is because of damage? How do you get rid of it?
Thanks (:

katfemme89
September 17th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Ohhh come to think of it I have that quite often! atleast I think so.. so it is because of damage? How do you get rid of it?
Thanks (:

Split ends can cause it, and just the hair being dry. Check for split ends and if you have a bunch then trim them off. If it's just dry, then get a good moisturizing conditioner.