PDA

View Full Version : How much damage will I be doing?

CharleaMurphy
September 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
A good friend of ine is having a party next week, and I was planning to curl y hair with my GHD straighteners, and use hairspray. (I do curl my hair heatlessly sometimes but it's more of a day look than a party style)
I haven't used heat since the beginning of this year but I want to for a special occasion.

Naturally, I'm terrified of the damage I'll be doing.
Do you think it's okay to use heat and hairspray occasionally?

akilina
September 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I think you will be fine for this one time.
Just use the appropriate heat setting for your hair- not too hot and also, distribute heat properly, use some heat protectant, etc...
As for the hairspray- spray lightly, and when it is time to brush your hair out and wash it just be very gentle. Maybe to carefully get it out you could put conditioner in your hair and CO wash before trying to detangle your hair sprayed hair.

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I don't think using heat once in a very great while will hurt. As for the hairspray, whatever you do don't try to brush it out dry at the end of the night. Hairspray will stick the individual hairs together, and no matter how gentle you are brushing or combing you will get a lot of damage as the strands are ripped apart. It managed to thoroughly wreck my hair even with only occasional use of hair mousse.

Check out this article on 'Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating': http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79. It includes a bunch of pictures of hair taken under a microscope, and it will show you exactly the kind of damage that results from brushing out styling products.