PDA

View Full Version : No split ends ... ?

silverthread
September 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I've really been taking care of my hair since joining LHC, and I like to check the ends out in the sunlight to make sure there's no damage. BUT ... it's strange to me that I can't find any split ends at all. They look like little "Y"s at the end of the strand, don't they? :confused: Is it possible that split ends look different on fine hair?

Messyhair
September 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
The Y is one kind of split end. There are also dots and loops... I think there's an article on them somewhere...?

I noticed your length is listed as 19.5". If I'm taking care of my hair, I don't tend to get splits starting until my hair is at least 24". I don't know if that's a normal thing, but maybe your hair is just nice and healthy and not too stressed yet.

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Perhaps you have been taking good care of your hair! Split ends can occur any place on the strand, not just the ends.

Also, unless you're extremely dedicated, it isn't possible to check all your strands. Split ends are a part of hair care and if you can get them snipped, fine.

Here is a visual explanation of the various splits:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189

Elithia
September 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I didn't get any splits till I was past waist-- I went two years without having to do any trimming. And then they seemed to bloom all at once. But I swear it wasn't out of neglect ... :)

Yozhik
September 14th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I also only got split ends after a certain length, and now that I've cut 4 inches back to waist and most of my hair is post-LHC hair, it's very healthy and not splitty at all.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about not having any split ends. :)

silverthread
September 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the link, Madora. And thanks to everyone for your feedback. Even though I get frustrated with my hair, it's still a lot healthier now that I'm following all the great tips I find on this site. I won't worry about the split ends for now, but maybe next time my daughter is over, I'll have her take a closer look at my ends.

Silverbrumby
September 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I've got a question as well. Not to highjack the thread. I have a lot of damage on the hair growing out at the back but if I trim it off I'll end up with long layers. Should I just do it or just keep trimming off the new growth until the damaged parts ready the longest part of my hair.

Hope that makes sense.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM
whenever I check for splits I never see any either..I don't think that's a bad thing. I used to see a lot more, but ever since getting a couple of trims and being so extra nice to my hair on a consistent basis, I rarely ever see them.

gthlvrmx
September 14th, 2012, 11:12 PM
that's how i felt after the 8th month from the last trim and i kept checking for splits-found nothing.
went almost a year and found around 8 splits in total or so, but i used a clarifier and shampoo and boom more splits but it wasnt much compared to when i first found LHC. all the bunning all the time and conditioner really helps, goes a LONG way.

theres a chart on lhc to see how some splits look like. check it out! its helpful! :D
yes those white dots are splits BUT i might warn you, im not sure how it is with finer people and the ends of your hair, but with my hair and with the light, it makes this small reflection sometimes and it LOOKS like a white dot, but its not. just reflection. i tried cutting it and cutting and it wouldnt go away.turned away from the light in a full circle and figured out it wasnt a split end. so be careful if you see that. :p dont cut what doesnt need to be cut.

oktobergoud
September 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM
My hair is just shoulder length and I just checked again and nope, can't find a single split either! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I haven't found any split ends either on my hair, and I haven't trimmed since April 2011. I like it that way though, long may it continue!

neko_kawaii
September 15th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I generally don't get splits at the very ends but I do get damage a couple inches up where a hairband would be secured and occasionally higher up from other manipulation. OP it sounds like your hair is still within a range where with careful handling you shouldn't experience many splits. I really don't worry about what I can't see either physically or with eyestrain.

melusine963
September 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM
It's amazing what a difference taking care of your hair can make. Since joining the LHC I can get away with only trimming my hair a little (rather than having to cut off several inches worth of damage).