PDA

View Full Version : QUICK herbs on oil or after pre-poo? TIPS please

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I want to use my amla powder tonight (made into a mud paste with water).
Last time I used Dabur Jasmine Oil as a pre-poo and then put the mud mask on damp hair. But it dried out the parts with chemical color. I like the way my virgin hair looked though lol.

Any-hoo I was wondering if anyone has tried putting amla or other herb on top of oiled hair. Would that work? Or is this something I should experiment on my own?

This will be my second pre-poo oiling and I want to get it right this time.

Also I used my regular shampoo to remove the oil but I heard someone say you should remove oil with conditioner. Will a cheap V05 conditioner work?

Thanks for your help. :cheese:

Idjit
September 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I've henna'd over oiled hair and it worked just as well if not better than clean hair. I've never tried any other herbs though. The VO5 is perfect for getting out oil. It works best if you leave it in for at least 10 minutes.

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Awesome thanks Idjit :D I'm going to put the herbs on over the oil and buy some V05 tonight lol

Ephemeral
September 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have used ayurvedic herbs (Sukesh from Henna Sooq) and henna over oiled hair.

V05 works perfectly to get the oil out, just make certain that you rinse really well. And a final rinse with cold water closes the cuticle and helps the shine. Have fun...

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Have to wait until tomorrow to buy V05. Would you believe the big. Mexican grocery store I went to only sells shampoo. Not one conditioner In any brand. Lol. And the Indian store only had hair oils, no conditioner, so I will oil my hair and walk down the street to get some.

Does it matter which V05 or just the scent I want?

Idjit
September 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think they're all pretty much the same formula but I could be wrong. Any scent should be fine. I wouldn't go with lime, though, since it's the 'clarifying' formula.

I prefer to use Suave Naturals but I do know VO5 works just as well for these purposes.

Ephemeral
September 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Well, make certain to read the label because some have more protein in them then others (like the moisture milks or any that say something like fortified with silk protein). So, if your hair is okay with protien than just choose by scent! The clarifying conditioner -kiwi lime - is actually fairly popular with CO people. It doesn't clarify, it just matches the clarifying shampoo.

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I got a couple of bottles of Vatika naturals coconut oil and it's on my hair right now. If it wasn't so late I'd put the amla on but I'm sleepy. Thanks for the tips. I think since I'm already doing a coconut oil which is high in protein I'll stick to a regular non-milk formula.

Ephemeral
September 15th, 2012, 12:39 AM
btw....your hair is fabulous!!

hermosamendoza
September 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
btw....your hair is fabulous!!
my hair??? lol thanks...no ones ever said that before (here or in person)
I have to tell you ephemeral that your hair color was my goal for years and year...and i only acheived it once, right before I decided to go back to my natural color after 10 years of searching red hahaha

Ephemeral
September 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks!! I love henna - the color is much richer than box dye.

hermosamendoza
September 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Haha henna made my box color red dye your color and my roots got super dark haha. That's why I quit henna and color. The color in the sept picture is many attempts of brown hair dye to get to my natural only to have it fade to a wood color. So I have up and decided to work on shiny hair. Good trial period since march since I haven't colored since finding out I was pregnant. I think when I grow out my hair out 100% virgin I'll henna again cause I really loved it.

hermosamendoza
September 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM
UPDATE

Vatika really thickened up my hair and so far i don't notice a change in color. The amla of course dried out the ends just from being in the same cap! I think next time I will just suran wrap my ends. and leave the ends out.

I didn't make it to the store so I used a diluted-poo 1 teaspoon shampoo to 1 cup water...i thought I wouldn't have enough so i added more shampoo to the bottle....I think that was a bad idea because I had to condition my ends with my regular conditioner because they felt like straw even wet.

Just waiting to see the end results when my hair is fully dry.

hermosamendoza
September 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
WOW! the shine! My husband was throughally impressed lol and he's usually mildly amused by my natural hair attempts. Going to buy some v05 or suave cone-free conditioner for the next time and see which works better

Ephemeral
September 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
If your ends are drying out, try coating them with conditioner while herbs are in your hair. I'm glad the Vatika worked for you. I love having thick, shiny hair.