PDA

View Full Version : Awkward hair moment.

MissAlida
September 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Here's a little story of what happened to me today.:p I'm way beyond being angry about it, I have come to accept the fact that my hair sheds a ton, that I can't do anything about it (been to the doctor), and that I'm probably going to end up bald by the time I finish college, which is a good 4 years from now.

So I ran into one of my male colleague today. He's in my group at the university. And we talked, and he mentioned, that considering I had exams, and had to study hard this summer, I didn't look tired or worn out at all.:rolleyes: I started laughing, and pointed out the thinness of my ponytail (I wear my hair in a ponytail very rarely). I sort of looked the other way, maybe noticed something. So the point is, he touched my ponytail, maybe to see for himself how thin it was, and the next thing I heard was : " Oh my god, I ripped out your hair!" And when I looked at his hand, there were 3 or 4 long strands entangled around his fingers. I was so embarrassed.:o I immediately took the strands form his hand, and dropped them to the floor. It was an "I told you so" moment.

That is how bad my shedding is. I'm sure the ladies who fight shedding, can understand what I'm talking about, when I say,that I can't touch my hair, without 5-10 strands falling out.

Ever happened something similar to you?

FrozenBritannia
September 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Oh yes. My OH used to get so freaked out when that happened.

DinaAG
September 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
dear you need to make thyroid gland function test..

Fantak
September 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
MissAlida, I know you've probably tried and done everything but maybe you can give us a rundown of the tests you've had and what you'd tried?

A lot of members have beat shedding with various degrees of success, maybe someone can spot something or suggest something that works for you

Edit: To answer your question :p yes! when i was in middle school/high school I could never touch my hair because I would always lose 2-3 hairs if I did. I was a kid though i wasn't really worried at the time. It got better when I started to have protein for breakfast I would have a large glass of milk with raw eggs mixed in (use at your own risk).

MissAlida
September 15th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I did a full bloodwork, everything came out ok, I did a TSH, it came out normal, I've been to an endocrinologist, she checked my thyroid with ultrasound, she examined my lymphatic glands, breasts, everything. All the doctors I've been to said the same thing: it's caused by stress. And I can't do anything about it. I try to relax, do my workout, meditate etc. I'm a college student, and I am constantly under pressure. This is just the way my body copes with it I guess. By shedding.

MintChocChip
September 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM
:( I'm sorry to hear about your shedding and awkward hair moment. Sounds like you're perfectly healthy, have you ever tried yoga? You needn't go to a class, 10 minutes at the beginning of the morning from books/DVDs/online is more than enough to see you through a more peaceful day. I always feel less stressed and more calm on the days where I've begun my day with yoga.

Just a thought! :) when I did yoga every day for half a year (prescribed by my doctor for stress induced headaches) my hair seemed thicker (and this was pre lhc so I was nowhere near as kind to my hair.)

Hope that helps. :)

Fantak
September 15th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Glad to hear you're healthy :D

You can try protein for breakfast if you can stomach it. I saw a tricologist and she said that protein in the morning means your hair gets its fair share.

Elanadi
September 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM
huh... yes, I am the exact same way. I JUST finished grad school about a week ago; my hair shed something fierce for the last 6 months or so due to the stress. It's the primary reason I started posting on LHC. Almost as soon as I finished the last bit of software development for my capstone, my hair quit the insane shedding. This isn't the first time this has happened, it's apparently just how my body deals with stress (like yours). You just have to do whatever you have to do to get through it, and then your hair will com back when your stress is over. Big hugs to you, I know how horrible major shedding is (especially when we don't have a ton of hair to lose. :( ).

Amber_Maiden
September 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Oh wow. My hair does that as well!