PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your sulfate-free but coney routine

Loreley
September 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Is anyone here who uses sulfate-free shampoo with coney conditioner and other coney products? I can't be the only one but I haven't found a thread or anything about this kind of routine.
I use a very mild sulfate- and cone-free shampoo with heavy coney conditioners, leave-in sprays and serums. I wash with an SLES shampoo about once in every 2 weeks. This works best for me, my hair has never been in a better state.

I'd love to hear about your routines. :)
How often do you clarify? What products do you use? How often do you wash? Do you use any oils with this routine?

Chimom79
September 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I also use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, but the oil I use afterwards for shine and frizz and flyaway control has cones in it. You certainly arent alone. I just use what works best for me, whatever that is, while taking care to be as healthy as I can with my hair.

CurlyCurves
September 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
My hair routine;

My routine is pretty simple, I don't use products. I deep condition once a week, and co-wash nearly every day. I have a PVA chamois, which is my favourite accessory. I detangle with conditioner-saturated wet hair, then rinse my conditioner out with cold water. I then scrunch my hair with my chamois then put it on my shoulders. I then scrunch my hair some more, and remove the chamois in five minutes. Then I let my hair dry without manipulation.

At night, I either;

- Pinapple, cover the pineapple with a baggy cap, then cover my head with a satin bonnet. I do this if I want to preserve a Wash'n'Go.

- Gentle brush my hair and put into twists - I do this when I don't have time to co-wash my hair in the morning, and don't want to do so at night. I will usually wear a twist out the next day.

I always sleep on my satin pillowcase. I also experiment with different stretching techniques to give my hair a break (it tangles very easily). I like to band or wrap my hair when wet.

vanillabones
September 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Me! I use non SLS shampoo (essential oils rosemary mint) and a coney conditioner (ice shine). I like to CWC so I use a non-cone conditioner for the first 'C'. I use detangler after (Bumble and bumble or suave kids right now) and honeysuckle toadstool leave-in, or just the leave-in without the detangler because the toadstool detangles wonderfully. I use oils too. I like to prewash with coconut oil or I will leave on coconut or jojoba on the ends overnight in my bun. I used to add oils post washing and that worked well for me too but I am loving the toadstool and it will last me awhile.

I clarify whenever needed, I tried once a week but it was to often so about every 2 weeks and I wash every other day.

akilina
September 14th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I do something about the same lately.
I use home made shampoo bar, and a coney conditioner, and coney leave ins.
It works great for me.
I basically am one of those people that HAS to wash every day. I have tried everything and this is what works best for me. I wish I could stretch washes, or WO and all that fun stuff but It just simply will never happen.
I never have to clarify. The last time I clarified was because of tea build up. Bad tea build up.
That is pretty much it :)

einna
September 15th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Interesting thread. I am considering trying some 'cones again. I like my hair fine without them, but I would like some more slip, shine and tangle control now that my hair is getting longer. I am currently experimenting with mineral oil, but it dosent seem to work for me...

ETA: I don't really mind 'cones, but SLS.

Long_hair_bear
September 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I use handmade aloe vera, sls free shampoo and pantene ice shine condish. I use coconut oil as a prewash sometimes. :)

BrightEyes
September 15th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've tried following a cone-free routine, but it never works for very long.

I use a sulfate-free shampoo and coney conditioner (either Pureology or Lanza brands). I then put a little Nighblooming Panacea on the ends. I may will then put a little coney serum on then ends, or I may not.

If my hair starts feeling like it has build-up I clarify. But that doesn't really happen very often.

In2wishin
September 15th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I use conditioner only which is cone free but then use a spray made from cyclomethicone, dimethecone, and argan oil on the last 8-10" as a leave-in.

Loviatar
September 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've just fried my hair through double bleaching, and I've had to give up shampoo bars. I'm now using sulphate free shampoo, conditioners with bis-amino propyl dimethicone or amodimethicone, and two leave-ins, one conefree (Biolage conditioner, used as leave-in cream) for moisture and one coney (Macadamia Healing Oil) to seal it all in.

I want to cut off all this mess and start again without cones :(

Henrietta
September 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Aaaawesome thread. I wanted to make one some time ago, whan my sulphate free thing was only in the phase of planning, but I didn't dare :D

So... theoretically, I've done only 1 sulphate-free wash (apart from COs, of course. I did plenty of those but it's not something I can do every wash, it's not my regular routine.) I use Babydream fur Mama Wohlful Bad bathing balsam. It has Soybean Oil on the second place on INCI list, just after water. People on PL beauty site discovered it works great as a shampoo so I gave it a try and it worked. I hope this will become my regular washing method.
And after washing... Oh boy. I'm swimming in cones. I use DTs or heavy conishes every time after washing and 95% of them has cones. And, since I am an insolent coney demon I don't even plan to clarify. :demon:

supbanana
September 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I use the Organix line of sulfate-free shampoo/conditioners that are filled with cones. I can often find them on sale for fairly cheap and they leave my hair feeling weightless and smooth. :)

In addition to that, I use senna for the gloss/strength and coconut oil weekly or so.

I'm really overdue to clarify and trim but in the mean time, -cones help.

Loreley
September 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the replies! :flower:

Iím glad Iím not the only one who has this íweirdí routine. :D

vanillabones (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=36457), Long hair bear: Iíd like to try Ice Shine, it is said to be really good. Unfortunately itís not available here yet. :(

Henrietta: I tried Babydream baby shampoo but it was terribly drying for me. This product you mentioned seems to have really good ingredients, oils and stuff, so I might give it a try. :D
I know what you mean by íswimming in conesí, I do the same. :lol:

vanillabones
September 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
I am going to need a new sulphate free shampoo soon, and am thinking of trying nature's gate daily shampoo with the henna, or j/a/s/o/n shampoo? I'd like to try a baby shampoo but they can be harsh I have read.

Wahinee
September 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I use a non sulfate shampoo once a week. My rinse out conditioner doesnt have cones, my leave in does. I co wash a few times a week in between shampoos.

I clarify with a sulfate shampoo before I henna every 2 months or so.

Henrietta
February 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Bump! :)
This thread definitely deserves to be refreshed!
How are you guys? I am still fine witn my no-sulphate-but-oh-yes-I-do-use-cones routine. This week I made a mistake and I clarified my hair, it was all too harsh, now it will take me many washed to make my hair nourished again. Which only shows that sulphate-free is my best way to go :)

divinedobbie
February 16th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Thank you for bumping :)

I am currently both cone and sulfate free but I'm thinking of doing a trial with going back to cones...I'm waiting for my cone-free conditioner to finish which will probably be in 2 weeks and then I want to do a 2 or 3 week test using a coney conditioner but no sulfates and see how my hair likes it. It's nice to see that others have had good results doing this as I was worried about buildup even though I was planning on using low-buildup cones. I have my eye on Pantene ice shine since I've heard great stuff about it and I just saw it in my local grocery store last week! I'm off to read the ingredients first though...

hairpleasegrow
February 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I was hooked on cones until i found Intelligent Nutrients. It is a line created by the guy that originally created Aveda. They are free of all the bad things (sulphates, parabens, phthalates ) and they rank very low in toxicity ratings (3 out of 10 which is very low) on the environmental working group site (ewg) .

I use the Harmonic Intelligent Nutrients shampoo, then I cat nip rinse and then finish with the Intelligent Nutrients Luxe conditioner. THey also have a serum you may like. expensive but way worth it my hair has never looked and felt better. Plus it is non toxic which many shampoos are not. No harsh perfume smells either. I cannot express how amazing this shampoo is.

I was using Alterna bamboo conditioner that had cones , I loved it and I only changed because it was ranked very high in toxicity ratings on the ewg site.....even though it says on the label it is free of all the typically bad things in shampoo (parabens, sulphates, etc)

LadyLongLocks
February 16th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm in my 4th year of sulfate free ( Organix ) YES I use cones in the conditioner, but no serums ever.

spidermom
February 16th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Sulfate-free and cone-free shampoo and conditioner, but I have a couple of coney serums that I use, also a spray gel with cones that I sometimes use. (I only use one serum or spray gel at a time.)

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Thank you for bumping :)

I am currently both cone and sulfate free but I'm thinking of doing a trial with going back to cones...I'm waiting for my cone-free conditioner to finish which will probably be in 2 weeks and then I want to do a 2 or 3 week test using a coney conditioner but no sulfates and see how my hair likes it. It's nice to see that others have had good results doing this as I was worried about buildup even though I was planning on using low-buildup cones. I have my eye on Pantene ice shine since I've heard great stuff about it and I just saw it in my local grocery store last week! I'm off to read the ingredients first though...

I am about to venture into the same thing. If it helps I just found 2 conditioners with water soluble cones. I figured it would be a good way to ease in.
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Daily Conditioner is loaded with all PEG cones. Sally's has the GVP knock off which is what I bought.
I also found packets of OL Olive Oil Deep Conditioner with PEG cone in it.

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 01:42 PM
You don't need sulphates to shift silicones, products rich in olefin sulfonates or cocoamidopropyl betaine should also work. Not all silicones build up anyway, water soluble and amine functionalised ones resist doing so.

Sillage
February 18th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I use L'oreal EverPure Smoothing shampoo with Pantene Ice Shine conditioner which is very coney. For leave ins I use shea butter and Alterna Kendi Bamboo Dry Oil Spray which is super coney. Both the Ice Shine and Alterna spray are recs from LuxePiggy-- and she knows her cones! I clarify maybe once or twice a month with Prell shampoo.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'm off cones at the moment (and will probably be going back shortly. Maybe tomorrow.) but my past routine was a sulfate-free shampoo, cone-free condish, and coney serum with a clarify/chelate every month or so. I like using the coney serum instead of a coney condish because then I can damp-oil before I cone, and can control where the cones go (ears down). I feel like with a cone-free condish I can soak up more moisture in the shower, then seal my hair with cones against the low humidity climate we have here. I honestly noticed minerals building up before the cones, hence the chelation.

For shampoos, I was looking for no-protein, low-humectant, mild but not too mild ones and really loved the Giovanni Chinese Wellness one. For cone-free conditioners, I used Tresemme Naturals with Avocado oils...it's nothing amazing but a good solid pick with a light scent and reasonable cost. For cone, I alternated knock-off Chi Silk with knock-off Redken Anti Snap and vastly preferred the Chi (except the scent!).

On this routine I actually SCS...shampoo condition shampoo! I basically would shampoo with a good scalp massage, condition all the way to scalp, then add a drop of shampoo JUST at the scalp and first half inch or so of hair. This gave my fine hair a better volume boost and my scalp a little more moisture than just conditioning short of roots.

But, right now I'm shampoo barring and afraid to throw cones in the mix!

sweet&sourkiwi
February 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I don't know why, but in my experiments it always took awhile to get anything that might be buildup. In fact, I'm not even sure what coney build up would feel like, but for my fine hair, it would have to be more than one wash/application.