PDA

View Full Version : Fine Hair and Combs

UP Lisa
September 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I don't use a comb on my hair at all anymore. All they do is rip and tear my hair apart. Do any of you with fine hair use combs? If so, what kind do you use, and do you feel they are damaging your hair?

gonzobird
September 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I use a wide tooth comb when i detangle my hair after i wash my hair. ( every thirds or fourth day)and that's the only time i comb my hair. Otherwise I use my fingers. Combs wreck my hair.

elea
September 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM
tried all sorts of wide combs in all sort of materials
fine hair and curls
not a good combination for me to untangle hair and leave it on my head or i just cannot get it right who ever's advice i try

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have medium fine hair and have always used a wide tooth comb.

It is HOW you use the comb that determines how successful it is.

UP Lisa
September 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Madora,

My hair is Baby Fine. I think that does make a difference.

Lisa

I have medium fine hair and have always used a wide tooth comb.

It is HOW you use the comb that determines how successful it is.

goldloli
September 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM
hi, i have fine medium and coarse hairs all intermingled and i've never found success with using combs, not matter how gently or seam free. they snag my hair and cause damage even when being gentle, they also take wayy too long and often hair is retangled before i've even finished.

i love finger combing and brushing though. i used to use a plastic paddle brush, which i did see damage from but made the switch last year to a bbb and i love it.

note that when i finger comb i dont rake through my hair, i actually end up individually picking apart tangles then run fingers through till i find another.

i've come to the conclusion that it's because combs have stiff prongs where as my fingers and brush bristles bend, so if they do run into a tangle they dont snag it a little before i stop to take it apart, like a comb would. like think about it, when a comb hits a tangle theres a split second of it pulling on said tangle, which imo is what causes the problem for me.

limonade34
September 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have fine hair and use a wooden comb from the Body Shop. I am always gentle with my hair when I comb it and have combed it both wet and dry without any problems. I can't use combs with the teeth too close together or I feel like I'm ripping my hair out.

goldloli
September 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM
i found this old thread and someone was also suggesting the lack of give combs have is maybe the cause.

not to crucify combs because i do think they could work for everybody, but spending hours combing the many tangles from my hair to avoid breakage is just not feasible when finger combing takes 10 minutes.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83015&page=2

akilina
September 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I will say it is sort of inspirational to see baby fine hair that is long.
My hair is not baby fine..more mediumish but I worry that it will never be able to be long because of that :(

UP Lisa
September 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Oh, yes, your hair can be long.

My hair is not baby fine..more mediumish but I worry that it will never be able to be long because of that :(

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Your genetics determines how long your hair will grow. How you take care of it while growing is also very important. The more you can lessen opportunities for damage, the better! It just takes patience.

I have medium fine hair and am currently at 48 inches, with hopes of growing longer.

Vrindi
September 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I used to use a plastic, seamed comb, and finally threw it in the trash. I now have a wide-toothed bamboo comb and a wooden brush. I'm very careful when I comb and have not noticed any breakage. Sometimes it's hard to get through a tangle, and the comb lets me know it's there so I can finger-comb it, but it won't allow me to rip through knots. I love this comb. It forces me to be as gentle as I need to be, but it gets the job done, and no frizzies. After the comb, I can go through with the brush if I need to.

Denebi
September 14th, 2012, 11:35 AM
No combs anymore.... too frustrating. I love my TT though, it's the only thing I can use without ripping my hair to a damaged mess.

ptricia
September 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I also have baby fine hair, but I do have lots of hair. For a person with baby fine I do have quiet a thick ponytail. I use my combs as much as I use my brushes. I have a seamless plastic comb with wide tooth in my handbag. I have a wooden comb of the body shop to detangle quickly and I have of normal tooth horn comb for pulling the hair back in to a pony, bun, braid what ever

CurlyCurves
September 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My hair snaps quite easily. I try to avoid using the comb. I detangle with conditioner, then brush the remaining tangles out with my denman. I try to be gentle but, nonetheless, I see some breakage.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I have fine hair and use a wide toothed comb, gently and don't have any trouble. I do keep my hair up all the time though, and use a sleeping cap at night so I get virtually no tangles, I also use Mineral oil which helps.

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I thought it was just me who had problems with combs! I have a very wide tooth comb that is plastic that I've used forever or every once in a while I use a paddle brush but I noticed the paddle brush broke my hair off! I could hear the snap!
So I usually use my fingers to detangle in the shower or wait till it's almost dry to use a wide tooth comb

Hairizona
September 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Up to the beginning of this year, I brushed with a BBB only. I swore I could not use a comb in my hair because I broke off so many hairs whenever I combed it. I was sure combs were the worst thing that could happen to anyone's hair.I was sure that my hair could not be combed at all.
I decided to give it one last try, and what I found out was that I was still treating my hair as though it was much shorter.

Here is what I did that made the difference: I changed hair products several times since then. I changed the way I wash my hair. I cut back on the amount of product I use to shampoo it. I switched to a more moisturizing conditioner without SLS, cones, and less protein.

I had to learn how to comb my hair, and this took several months for me to learn what it takes not to break my hair while combing. I had to learn patience and to go slow and with a very light touch and be sensitive and responsive to any, and I mean any resistance the comb encountered in my hair; then to take that part and work the tangle out with my fingers. This took me up until the last month to really get all the things down that made the difference. When I look at the ends now and compare them to the pictures of last Feb. ( the last photos I did), I can definitely see the difference.

lapushka
September 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
About once a week, my hair's detangled with a wide tooth (bone) comb (right before a wash), and then the TT goes through.

Fabulosity
September 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
My hair tangles so easily. It is finer than baby fine hair, it is the finest hair I have ever seen, or anyone who touches my hair has ever seen, so fine that each individual hair is almost invisible. I have to finger comb, as a regular comb is too damaging. I do use a comb in the shower when I condition, and even that seems too much.

starlamelissa
September 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
i have fine textured hair that is long and thick, and I use combs... only when my hair is wet/has product in it. So like, in the shower I use a shower comb, when my hair has condish on it. after the shower I detangle my hair with a medium/fine tooth comb and some paul mitchell leave in/baby oil. Once its dry, I only use my denman on it. My tools are in my avatar.

vanillabones
September 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have BABY fine hair and I use the body shop wooden comb. Or the theraputics wooden pin brush (rarely) I also have a tangle teezer but I don't think I will use it until greater lengths.

battles
September 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM
i found this old thread and someone was also suggesting the lack of give combs have is maybe the cause.

not to crucify combs because i do think they could work for everybody, but spending hours combing the many tangles from my hair to avoid breakage is just not feasible when finger combing takes 10 minutes.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83015&page=2

This is why I use a tangle teezer. :) Takes only minutes to detangle and works much better than my fingers.

cwarren
September 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I have fine/medium hair and I use a wide tooth plastic comb with no problem. My BBB damaged my edges (which are baby fine) :( Now I only use my TT and aloe gel to slick the fly aways down and wait for my edges to grow back.

Clytemnestra
September 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I have a seamless widetooth comb from tenderheaded that I really like. My hair is very fine and wavy, so although I comb minimally and do a lot of fingercombing, when I detangle dry I do it very carefully in pieces, and when wet after washing I use Madora's bent over hair down method which is so much easier to get the comb through than right side up combing. I use a BB once in awhile to smooth a long waved style.

As an aside, I just bought a Mason Pierson detangling comb for my fine-haired spaniel who likes to nip when you bring one of those metal dog combs anywhere near her because the tugging hurts, the MP glides right through her hair so I'm glad I thought of it.

jojo
September 15th, 2012, 02:26 AM
My hair is fine in fact it's very similar to yours. I have just bought a horn comb which I really like as it doesn't seem to snag at all but I only use it on dry hair as my hair gets a lot of static with being fine, but when my hair is wet I use a shower comb, I will edit with a photo of the one I use.

I don't have problems with this one on wet hair.

Alva
September 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I have baby fine hair too, but no longer use a comb. I did so for several years, a widetooth seamless one, but I did have hairs getting ripped every now and then, no matter how careful I was. Few years ago I bought a Mason Pearson nylon and boar brush, which I now use to detangle. It works really nicely, I use it once a day and it only needs a few strokes to get completely detangled, without any damage occuring. No more combs for me :)