PDA

View Full Version : Flat stringy hair, any advice?

Autumn Light
September 14th, 2012, 07:10 AM
My hair seems to easily get in this state, like the day after I wash it. It'll look nice if I brush it, but after a short while, especially if I have it loose outside with the slightest bit of wind in the air, it goes all stringy and flat.

My hair routine is that I wash it every 2-3 days. I have oily roots so I use either a lush shampoo bar for oily hair, or a herbal essences fresh balance shampoo. I mainly focus the shampoo on the roots. I have dry ends that's a bit damaged (though it's improved a lot) from past highlighting and straightening. So on the length/ends I use either pantene pro-v repair and protect conditioner or aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner.

I hardly put heat on it nowadays, apart from occasionally blow drying it every 1 or 2 weeks.

Any advice on what could be making it flat and stringy looking? I don't know if it could be being weighed down by the products or what. I'd be interested to try some hair treatments such as argon oil but I don't know if that would simply weigh it down even more.

Crazycatlady
September 14th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I have the same issue, so I can't offer any help at this point. I do wonder if mineral oil on the ends would help if you got just the right amount. There's an interesting thread on here about it and some people have said it saved them from cutting their ends. Another thing I wonder about with my ends is that maybe they are over conditioned and I should really try shampoo and no or very little condish. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck.

blaketob
September 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
It sounds like you may have buildup. I'd buy a clarifying shampoo and wash once or twice with it to see if it helps :)

spidermom
September 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I would do the oil sparingly an hour or more before you plan to wash it so that you can get the benefit without having it weigh down your hair between washings. Using conditioner on the length that you oiled and letting it marinate while you wash other things is pretty good at removing oil. I keep both oil and conditioner away from my scalp, other people don't, so do whatever works for you. Wash your hair last and don't repeat the conditioner.

A top-of-head bun at night might give you nice volume and wave/curl the next day. Or you could make a top ponytail (but not too tight or you'll get the pony-holder bend in your hair) and roll the ends on large sponge rollers.

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 07:50 AM
It sounds like you might be using products that are too heavy for your hair...or too many products that are coating the strands and causing buildup.

Try clarifying your hair with a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo). Clarifying strips your hair of everything so only do it when needed.

Find a shampoo that is made for oily hair and use it as needed. Perhaps you could dilute it a bit.

As for dry ends, mineral oil (aka baby oil) is a great way to keep your ends moisturized longer. MO is also a great detangler and leaves your hair shiny, soft and supple. Use it sparingly..a little goes a long way.

More about MO here:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Suze2012
September 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I use conditioner to wash my hair.
Have been for a while now and I posted about oiliness on the co washing thread today.

It's possible that the shampoo you use is stripping the oil so well that your glands are over producing to compensate.
After about 3 months of co washing my oil production seems to have decreased - it took a while to adapt to not being stripped by sulphates in shampoo but it's definitely reduced this as a problem for me.

Autumn Light
September 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far guys, lots of things to experiment with :)

As for the clarifying shampoo, I have a tresemme deep cleansing shampoo in my bathroom, which says it's clarifying and removes build-up, so I think I'll try that on my next wash.

Anje
September 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Depending on the nature of your scalp, you might be overproducing oil in response to shampooing. (Some people do this, some people don't. Unfortunately, it's really hard to know which camp you fit into without experimentation.) The fact is, the more frequently I shampoo, the oilier my scalp seems and the more frequently I need to shampoo. It's pretty easy to get myself into cycles where I HAVE to shampoo frequently or my hair's a stringy mess; moreover, it takes a few months of self-restraint to get my scalp back to the point where I need to wash maybe once every 5-6 days.

So I'm going to suggest that you try diluting your shampoo. Wash on your usual schedule, just use less of the stuff to make it easier on your scalp. See if that has any impact on the stringiness after a month or so.

Some of your trouble, too, might simply be a hairtype thing. Those of us with straight-wavy hair tend to have just enough wave to make the hair assemble into clumps rather than hanging as a sheet, but not enough to make it look truly wavy. Less damage means that your hair will have fewer kinks and bends in it, which tend to encourage the little stringy clumps, but depending on your head, you might find that regular combing through the day is the most effective course of action.