PDA

View Full Version : Simple hairstyles for BSL and thin length?

Katze
September 14th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I just went through the Hollywood Glamour thread since I love retro looks, and tried the Torrin Paige chignon, since I've always wanted to know how this style is made.

Weeeellll...without the length most of you have (and my hair will probably never grow really long, since my terminal length seems to be about BSL for 2/3 of my hair) I am wondering - how can I get these kinds of looks that are so 'in' right now? The chignon i did looks ok, but looks nothing like Torrin Paige's. :D

For others with severe taper and thin length, or thick roots but thin ends, like me, what kind of hairstyles work best for you? Anyone else stuck at APL/BSL and have any easy hairdos?

Traditional LHC looks - smooth fat buns, sock buns, in fact most buns ;) look terrible on my hair, and since I have natural 'layers' they fall out fast, too. Since a friend showed me the lazy wrap bun, I can actually do this one, and it has the advantage of not giving me 'bumps' like other buns or braids.

I get a lot of mileage out of the half-pony-half-bun thingie, placed at different spots on my head, since I can 'poof' it to make it look like I have full hair. Messy fake crown braids held with mini claw clips work well too, as do any other messy 'dos held with claw clips. However, more grown-up looking hairdos that are easy to do would be nice. The advantage of the chignon or half-bun-half-pony, besides visually adding elegance and smoothness, is that it seems to hold my shorter hairs better, and is easier to redo during the day than more complicated 'dos.

Help for a hairdo idiot who is also 'blessed' with 'short' hair naturally?

spidermom
September 14th, 2012, 07:04 AM
The french twist? That was my favorite before my hair got too long to do it.

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Gibson Tuck, perhaps?

link:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

Have you tried the two strand lace crown braid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

FrozenBritannia
September 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I do crown braids most of the time. I need to expand my hair stick updo ability. I like doing diagonal french braids across the back of my head too. :)

Babyfine
September 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I've been watching Lilith Moons youtube channel and doing some of the styles she has for shorter, thinner hair. (Like mine) she has some good styles for APL, BSL hair that is on the thinner side. Also good styles for long hair, too.

melusine963
September 15th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I've been watching Lilith Moons youtube channel and doing some of the styles she has for shorter, thinner hair. (Like mine) she has some good styles for APL, BSL hair that is on the thinner side. Also good styles for long hair, too.

I echo this recommendation. Torrin Paige has exceptionally long and thick hair, and like you I feel that I will never be able to measure up. She sets a very high standard for hairstyles, but luckily there are plenty of tutorials out there that will also work for thinner, shorter hair. https://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon/videos?view=0 is a great place to start.