PDA

View Full Version : "Old Hollywood Glamour" hairstyles

Suguru
September 13th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Hello everybody, I have a question for you all. I have a university "ball" coming up in a few weeks, and the theme is "Old Hollywood Glamour". I have decided that I am going to re-wear an old formal dress from high school (thankfully it still fits!). It is a fairly simple black lace dress with a V-neckline and it goes to about mid-calf. What I am trying to decide on is what to do with my hair.

Most of the hairstyles that the well-known "Old Hollywood" stars (Rita Hayworth, Greta Garbo, Marilyn Monroe etc) wore were wavy, voluminous, down-dos for shoulder-length or APL hair. Sort of like this: http://itotallylovewriting.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/old-hollywood-glamour.html

It is very difficult, if not impossible to get Type 1 hair that is past TBL to look like that. So what I am wondering is if any of you girls can think of updos that would fit the "Old Hollywood" theme and would work for my hairtype and length. Obviously I would rather not use a curling iron, backcombing or copious amounts of hairspray if at all possible. And it should be noted that my hair does not hold a curl very well at all, so even heat-free curling methods may not be of much use. The only Old Hollywood updo that I can think of is the one Audrey wears in that iconic scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's (which I haven't actually seen, but plan to at some point). Here is a picture of it:
http://eatwithjoy.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/audrey-hepburn-348.jpg

If anyone has any input as to how it might be done, that would be awesome.

Also feel free to offer suggestion for accessories or makeup that would add to the look overall. Thanks in advance for any input!

Suguru

Tisiloves
September 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
A (faux) crown braid with a little fingerwaving should be both achievable and period accurate. Alternatively, try stalking Piffyanne, she does a whole host of beautiful 40s updos.

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM
How about trying Ginger Rogers' beautiful style:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37596

Gorgeous and glamorous!

Tisiloves
September 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Gorgeous and glamorous!

Thanks, Madora, I was trying to find that hairstyle, my brain kept insisting Debbie Reynolds wore it :rolleyes: :confused:.

Iolanthe13
September 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM
You know, if you finger-wave the front parts a little (and yes, you might need some hairspray for this), a simple chignon can look incredibly glamorous and "Old Hollywood" with some red lipstick. Consider Grace Kelly (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbnid=Z8MZacgBf3PI2M:&imgrefurl=http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/celebrity-style/most-popular-celebrity-hairstyles-of-all-time-1&docid=VMhuNXuMCJJI4M&imgurl=http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/CD/5064624EFB84CC5E0A6489BFC4782_h400_w300_m2_bblack_ q100_p100_chRFIhGuu.jpg&w=300&h=400&ei=ZpxSUL7RG5Cy9gTByICoDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=591&vpy=260&dur=7812&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=124&ty=119&sig=116733052201408068696&page=2&tbnh=146&tbnw=109&start=34&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:28,s:34,i:266).

spirals
September 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
A chignon with victory rolls in the front would be awesome. Or are you looking for 1930s and earlier?

Suguru
September 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Madora, that Ginger Roberts style you linked to is gorgeous!

Suguru
September 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
You know, if you finger-wave the front parts a little (and yes, you might need some hairspray for this), a simple chignon can look incredibly glamorous and "Old Hollywood" with some red lipstick.

A chignon with victory rolls in the front would be awesome. Or are you looking for 1930s and earlier?

When you guys say "chignon" do you just mean a low bun or is this a particular style? As far as time period goes, I don't actually know what range is included in "Old Hollywood" but I think its' fairly broad, as in 1920s to 1960s. The "Golden age of Hollywood" if you will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Hollywood_cinema

Tisiloves
September 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
When you guys say "chignon" do you just mean a low bun or is this a particular style? As far as time period goes, I don't actually know what range is included in "Old Hollywood" but I think its' fairly broad, as in 1920s to 1960s. The "Golden age of Hollywood" if you will.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Hollywood_cinema

A chignon is a large low bun, here are two particularly nice ones by Torrin Paige (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4neDtqsDk&feature=plcp) and La Dollyvita (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTokZNRJQC4&feature=plcp).

Ambystoma
September 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wow that Torrin Paige style is beautiful, the twist at the beginning makes it look very elegant! This could be a nice choice since it has the right glamorous feel and you wouldn't have to use any product or backcombing. It's a pity heat free styling doesn't take well on your hair, you could really pull off a great Veronica Lake with those golden locks! You've probably already tried doing a wet set (from really almost dripping wet) on curlers but if not it might help?

I found this makeup tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaGKwJLU-Y which is similar to what I would do for myself for a golden age look, it's a little softer than the va-va-voom vintage tutorials I see around a lot, although I would probably go for a more sheer lip stain and a dark brown eyeliner instead of black for me - also do you have a clutch bag? I think a small black satin one would look very "red carpet" :D

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Gorgeous and glamorous!

This hairstyle looks amazing! I've tried something similar in the past, but this one looks far more polished. Thanks for linking to it.

piffyanne
September 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM
A (faux) crown braid with a little fingerwaving should be both achievable and period accurate. Alternatively, try stalking Piffyanne, she does a whole host of beautiful 40s updos.

Haha! I wandered in to pick up more styles when I saw this thread last night, only to see myself cited as a potential source! :D I was really excited to see you think of me in connection to this kind of hairstyle, you are too kind! :oops:

In truch, saw this thread immediately after you posted this, Tisiloves, but I was doing a last-minute trawling of the LHC before starting my homework that kept me up until 5AM, and knew I couldn't justify the time it would take to include a thought-out post.

My apologies for not getting back to you all faster!

OK.

Yes, I have been known to do a few vintage styles in my day. Victory rolls ARE achievable at your hair length, OP, although I have no idea where you are in regards to slipperiness. I've found that on MYSELF the process of backcombing is not REQUIRED (I choose not to, even though it would be more period-correct. LHC beats sheer correctness in Rock-Paper-Scissors right now :shrug: ), as the included length gives the same appearance that short backcombed hair makes. It's NOT as secure, though, and it won't stand away from your head as much, either.

I don't know where you are on the Sliding Scale of Slipperiness: I really recommend trying out whatever hairstyle you decide to do in the end out BEFOREhand, and wearing it around to see whether you need more bobbypins to scare it into submission, etc.

I'm capable of doing proper Victory Rolls (rolling all the way in from the ends, but if your fingers feel clumsy, or your hair's not behaving, I've patented a Victory For Longhairs version of the Victory Roll.

I developed this because we CLEARLY don't have hair anywhere near what was known as the middy-cut, which was the most efficient hairlength for Victory Rolls. For this, we sorta use our "extra" lengths as a rat, which WAS period-correct. (We can even use the same "yes, it's all mine" comment, haha!)

Piffyanne's VICTORY FOR LONGHAIRS VICTORY ROLL TECHNIQUE:
Example of Result, with Victory For Longhair rolls in front, and a pair of English braids pinned up in a maiden/crown braid in the back:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/556591_10150850132257282_1619830109_n.jpg

Find a round tube that is the size you want the interior of your victory roll to be. Really thick markers, work, you might have a traveling toothbrush holder that's a size you want. Look around.

Select a small section of hair, about a finger in width (adjustments: this measurement makes a medium-size roll for ii/iii hair from waist-fingertip length; if your hair is longer than that, you may want a smaller section, or you'll get voluminous rolls. If your hair is thin, take a wider section of hair at this step, so you can hide the "rat" part of the style.), and brush it out, moisten it, add smoothing product, whatever. It'll be tricky to smooth it later, so do it carefully now. Position the tube 10 inches or so from your scalp, and hold it against the newly-smoothed section of hair. Imagine the spot where the marker is a divide between two halves: the scalp-side and the "excess" (the hair on the opposite side of the hair from your head).

Throughout the rest of the process, you'll want to hold the tube, with your hair clamped to it with your finger so it doesn't slide around, taut. It shouldn't pull painfully, but it can't be loose: you should be able to feel the connection between the tube and your scalp, or oddnesses may occur.

Take the "excess" and start wrapping it around the marker/tube. I find wrapping the excess in an figure-eight pattern is most effective for me, other times my hair just wants to be spiraled in one direction. The figure-eight feels more secure to me. :shrug: Make it your own, experiment, do what feels right.

Once you've reached the tips of your length, wrap the tips even NEARER to where the unwrapped scalp-side. You don't want the tips poking out of the Victory Roll later, so keep an eye on where they're going.

Holding the tips down, you can start rolling the whole thing towards your head now. Turn it so that you are continuing in the same direction you started wrapping, don't "double back" on your hair, or you'll have a silly-looking kink in it when you take it all down again.

Because you started 10 inches from your head, you'll have the same amount of hair wrapped back that a woman with a middy-cut would have. This is your chance to hide the ends and smooth everything else down, 10 inches seems to be just about the right amount of hair on me to be forgiving.

When you reach the scalp, carefully slide the marker out of your rolled hair, and, holding the curl where you want it to be, pin it with bobbypins so it is secure.

Note: two bobbypins in an "x" facing in opposite directions are a must. If you want it to stand vertically (which may or may not work, again, try it in advance), you'll want to have the two pins parallel from each other, but entering the curl from opposite directions, or it could all "escape" out the open side.

I've also seen period documents offering a "new" way of pinning down victory rolls using bobby pins: you approach it vertically, holding the open part of the bobbypin pointing down towards your scalp, and put the mouth of the pin around the curl part, one side in and one side out of one side of the curl. Take the pin and make a motion the document referred to as "crochet-motion", the diagrams look sorta like how we put in a hairstick: turn the pin away from the center of the curl, snag it scrap of scalp-hair, and then turn the pin under so that it runs underneath the curl. Do the same on the other side. The article thought two pins was enough, it worked OK on my hair the other day, but again, slipperiness may vary.

Feel free to wander through my other posts, or this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=89087) for more ideas. I will be keeping an eye on this thread :eye:, and may check in later with more ideas, I hope this is enough for now.

PS: I've got my hands on a 1940's pamphlet from MaxxFactor that teaches the reader how to put on makeup. There are a couple tricks that are different from how I learned to put on "modern" makeup. I won't share it unless you guys want me to, I don't want to de-rail.

I'll be cross-posting this same technique in the Show Me Your Historical Hairstyles thread. I've been meaning to tell LHC about it for a year now, I might end up adding it to the Tutorials thread if I can figure it out how, and if enough people think I should.

Sorry this was so long, I wanted to make sure the instructions were clear. :flower:

Ambystoma
September 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
PS: I've got my hands on a 1940's pamphlet from MaxxFactor that teaches the reader how to put on makeup. There are a couple tricks that are different from how I learned to put on "modern" makeup. I won't share it unless you guys want me to, I don't want to de-rail.

I'll be cross-posting this same technique in the Show Me Your Historical Hairstyles thread. I've been meaning to tell LHC about it for a year now, I might end up adding it to the Tutorials thread if I can figure it out how, and if enough people think I should.

Yes please for both from me!

MeowScat
September 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I've done a few Google Images searches for you. We have the same straightness and refusal to curls. :) I'm sorry about the bad grammar, but my New Yorkese keeps coming through.

I searched for the following, "Elizabeth Tayor, Scarlet O'Hara, Marilyn Monroe, Ava Gardner, Joan Crawford and Old Hollywood Hairstyles".

What I came up with after many searches is to part your hair in the middle and twist the sides and tuck / roll your length in a net.

I looks so cool and you won't have to tease, curl or use hairspray for this style.

Amarante
September 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Piffyanne,I second Ambystoma, post the tutorial! I'd love to see it. :D Thank you soo much for posting your version of the Victory for Longhair rolls (love the name!), I have been having so much trouble trying to create these with my length! This is truly a godsend. :)

Suguru
September 15th, 2012, 10:09 PM
You've probably already tried doing a wet set (from really almost dripping wet) on curlers but if not it might help?

I found this makeup tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaGKwJLU-Y which is similar to what I would do for myself for a golden age look, it's a little softer than the va-va-voom vintage tutorials I see around a lot, although I would probably go for a more sheer lip stain and a dark brown eyeliner instead of black for me - also do you have a clutch bag? I think a small black satin one would look very "red carpet" :D

I actually haven't tried a wet set before. What sort of curlers do you use? Thanks for the makeup tutorial, it does look nice! I think my sister has a black clutch I may be able to borrow...

I don't know where you are on the Sliding Scale of Slipperiness: I really recommend trying out whatever hairstyle you decide to do in the end out BEFOREhand, and wearing it around to see whether you need more bobbypins to scare it into submission, etc.

Piffyanne's VICTORY FOR LONGHAIRS VICTORY ROLL TECHNIQUE:

Sorry this was so long, I wanted to make sure the instructions were clear. :flower:

Thank you SO much for that tutorial! Don't apologize for the length, it was very clear. And yes, please do post in the tutorials section, I'm sure there are others who would benefit from your wisdom. I would also love to see that makeup pamphlet, although I don't know how much non-hair-related stuff can be posted in this part of the forum - if you want me to try to move the thread (is that even possible?) I can.

Unfortunately I am very much towards the slippery end of the "sliding scale of slipperiness" as you so excellently put it! I will give this a go this evening and try to take a photo, though I won't be able to post it until my sister uploads the photos on her camera. I agree that I will need at least one, if not more trial runs of whatever I end up wearing, and I will probably end up having the use some hairspray, though I do hate how stiff and icky it makes my hair.

What I came up with after many searches is to part your hair in the middle and twist the sides and tuck / roll your length in a net.

I looks so cool and you won't have to tease, curl or use hairspray for this style.

That does sound cool, but I don't own a hairnet. I'm sure I could find one somewhere if I searched though. Thanks for your internet-searching efforts!

Ambystoma
September 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I just use plain old cheap curlers for wet setting - I think the bigger ones are better since it dries a little faster.

Here's me looking ridiculous with a wet set in, I put the roots around big curlers and rag curled the ends then tied them to the rollers:

http://i.imgur.com/sSUm9l.jpg

It took all day to dry, I hurried it up by covering my hair with a silk scarf and gently using a blow fryer on low heat making sure the fabric didn't get too hot, then let it cool down fully. I do this when I want indestructacurls!

This is how it came out:

http://i.imgur.com/WCu0ml.jpg

Hope this helps!

Suguru
September 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Thanks Ambystoma, that does help! And your curls came out gorgeous!

Update on the victory roll situation - I tried them, piffyanne, according to your instructions - and they worked fine up until I went to try and pin them. I ended up with a sort of "tunnel" of hair facing backwards (not sure if that is how they're supposed to go) and when I tried to pin them by inserting the pin along the "floor" of the tunnel they collapsed and fell apart the instant I let go. I am sure I am doing something wrong. For starters I didn't actually want standing-up victory rolls like you see in most tutorials but rather nice lying-down ones like those in your example picture. But I couldn't figure out how to get the tunnel to lay down without falling apart or looking silly. I think I may have used too large a section of hair, or wrapped too much "excess" hair and not enough close-to-head hair. My pin-inserting technique certainly needs work. I wonder if I could use spin pins somehow as those tend to hold much better on me.

Anyway I do plan to give it another go or two, but right now I am a little frustrated by my utter and complete failure to try again right away. If I can't get them to look decent I can always go with one of the other lovely styles posted here. Right now Ginger Rogers' rope braid from Top Hat is high on my list, as I am fairly confidant I could do a reasonable facsimile of that one. We'll see. I still have two weeks to go before the ball.

pullanmuru
September 17th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I always do my victory rolls and other hair rolls with a rat. I use a piece of hair net donut that I've cut open and used the net to make a small roll. I then roll my hair around it and leave it inside the roll. I pin it in place with the hair so the piece stays hidden inside.

This is how it's done (after about 5:30 time she takes the rat): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7rIOAWwsI

But that girl uses a huge rat. I use very small piece since there's quite a lot of hair that i'm rolling around it so I don't so much "filling" inside my roll. But it's definitely easier to use a rat in my honest opinion.

With wet set I personally always use pin curls because that way I can sleep on it. I wash my hair in the evening, curl my hair and wake up with dry curls. It's simple. Here's a great tutorial on pin curls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lMz4CZllso

You might need some setting lotion, or not.

I often do victory rolls on each side of the head and then I leave the back of the head in waves or then I just roll all the rest of my hair in one bigger and longer rat at the nape of my neck so it looks like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QYGSTsoDf9c/Tf-uYL3cWTI/AAAAAAAACuE/5kZITnfAO4Q/s1600/5845664222_422174528b_z.jpg

No curling there needed at all, and no hairspray either if you secure it carefully. Then you add some well placed "diamond" studded hair clips or combs and off you go :)

Suguru
September 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I always do my victory rolls and other hair rolls with a rat. I use a piece of hair net donut that I've cut open and used the net to make a small roll. I then roll my hair around it and leave it inside the roll. I pin it in place with the hair so the piece stays hidden inside.
(snip)
With wet set I personally always use pin curls because that way I can sleep on it. I wash my hair in the evening, curl my hair and wake up with dry curls.

Thanks so much for the suggestions re. using a hair rat! I don't have one of those donuts, but I'm sure there would be other things you could make a rat out of. As far as pin curls go, I have tried them in the past with no luck - I think my hair is just too long for the curls to stay in long. The short wispy hairs around my face curled up nicely but not the rest of my hair!

pullanmuru
September 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
You can make a hair rat out of your own fallen hair. Women did that in the past, they even had these pretty little jars that they would use to store shed hair and then roll them and maybe put some hair net around it and use it as a rat. That way it's the right colour and you can make many different shapes and sizes - of course depending on how much hair you're normally shedding :)

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM
A 1940's Makeup Thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2313348).

Your wish, as you can see, was my command.

Suguru
September 28th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Apologies in advance for the excess of photos.

Okay, update on the decision situation. Having decided that I wouldn't be able to get victory rolls to look right on me, I gave the Ginger Rogers "Top Hat" style Madora suggested a try. I watched a clip of the "dancing cheek to cheek" scene on Youtube and it looked to me like she was wearing a rope braided crown with the rest of her hair in a chignon of some sort low on the back of her head. So this is what I did: I put my hair in a ponytail and rope braided half of it, wrapping the rope braid around my head and pinning it in place. I then made a loose knot out of the remaining hair and wound the excess underneath and pinned it so that it covered the elastic from the rope braid. It looked like this (the pins weren't very well hidden!):

http://i.imgur.com/wHcBw.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/wHcBw)

http://i.imgur.com/aRn7F.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/aRn7F)

I didn't think that the chignon looked much like what Ginger was wearing though - hers seemed to have a more pouffy "rolled" appearance, so I tried using pullanmuru's suggestion about a hair rat made from my own shed hair (which for some inexplicable reason I have been collecting for a while - I think I originally wanted to have some put aside for strand tests if I ever wanted to dye and then I just kept collecting :shrug:). I made a vaguely sausage-shaped thing out of the hair and wrapped my own hair around it. It looked kind of cool from the back but a bit odd from the side because it stuck out so much.

http://i.imgur.com/wqgoA.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/wqgoA)

http://i.imgur.com/7WuYA.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/7WuYA)

There is another style I tried on a whim. I remembered it from a hair style book I had when I was a little girl (I think the book was called "braid's and bow's) and it basically involves twisting the hair from the side and adding more until you get to the middle and then making a ponytail or bun. I think the style might have been called "french rolls" or something but I'm not sure. I have no idea if it's"Old Hollywood" or not but it certainly came out very pretty and classy-looking. Both my sister and mum liked in better than the rope braided style (they thought it looked more "grown up"). Here are some photos (the bun is a low nautilus held with spin pins):

http://i.imgur.com/WbASl.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/WbASl)

http://i.imgur.com/RmBQa.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/RmBQa)

I liked it so much that I am 99 percent sure I'm going to wear my hair like this on Tuesday. I want to make it a bit neater but I looked how soft it looked compare to the tight straight-back styles I always wear. What do you girls think?

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Those are so lovely and feminine, Suguru! Good for you!

Bambi
September 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM
It looks wonderful on you! I'm so inspired now!

torrilin
September 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
The style you picked is a little more typical for 1920s or 1930s, but it's definitely reasonable for a theme of Old Hollywood Glamour. Where you can find scans of hairstyling advice for long (ie past shoulders) hair from 1920-1950 or so, you'll occasionally see it pop up. But it's a very common look in the 1920s scans I've seen.

To give you a bit more inspiration, how about some 1920s reproductions (http://koshka-the-cat.blogspot.com/p/1920s-costumes.html). If you just look at 1920s era illustrations, you maybe get odd notions about how the clothes actually looked. These are reproductions based on portaits (sometimes) but mostly on extant garments. And while they're worn by someone with a very sylph like 1920s figure who really fits the ideal of the era... she doesn't look a bit like a fashion illustration :). Kinda neat really.

melusine963
September 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Suguru, these hairstyles are beautiful!

jextxadore
September 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Look at some photos of Maria Callas. Not Hollywood (more opera than movies), but it might give you some inspiration.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=615&q=maria+callas&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&oq=gnome+3&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=763l1221l0l1295l7l6l0l0l0l0l75l303l5l5l0#q= maria+callas&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G&gbv=2&tbm=isch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1&biw=1548&bih=1008

Suguru
October 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
To give you a bit more inspiration, how about some 1920s reproductions (http://koshka-the-cat.blogspot.com/p/1920s-costumes.html). If you just look at 1920s era illustrations, you maybe get odd notions about how the clothes actually looked. These are reproductions based on portaits (sometimes) but mostly on extant garments. And while they're worn by someone with a very sylph like 1920s figure who really fits the ideal of the era... she doesn't look a bit like a fashion illustration :). Kinda neat really.

That is a really cool blog! Thanks for postin it!

Suguru, these hairstyles are beautiful!

Thanks, you're too kind!

jextadore, Maria Callas is so glamorous...very inspiring!

Ambystoma
October 4th, 2012, 02:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RmBQa.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/RmBQa)

This is so gorgeous! I'm totally stealing this style for everyday wear if I can get it to work at my current length - if not, it's going in the "for longer hair" basket :D

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'd second the victory rolls.