PDA

View Full Version : Black tea rinses

Hollyfire3
September 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I want to try a black tea rinse..but I just read online that black tea is not a good choice for a rinse because it contains too much cafine and may stunt hair growth. Has anyone done a black tea rinse? What were the results?

HylianGirl
September 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hello! I tried a black tea rinse once as an attempt to gradually stain my hair darker, but the rinse made my hair really dry, and so I've never tried again, so... there wasn't enough time to see the results, sorry x.x

vatikagirl
September 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I've been experimenting with black tea rinses for quiet a time now, what I do is wash my hair with mild shampoo, rinse well and then pour 2 cups of black tea prepared with one tea bag (seeped for 10 minutes and cooled) on my hair, finish other duties and do the final rinse off of residue tea from my hair.
After that let my hair air dry to about 70% dry state and apply nail scrape size of coconut oil to my lengths. I have found this routine to give me nice volume and shine and never feel dry or crispy in my case.
FYI my hair is always oiled 1 day in advance of wash day and RARELY apply conditioner to my hair after wash (say 3-4 times a year).

Hollyfire3
September 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I've been experimenting with black tea rinses for quiet a time now, what I do is wash my hair with mild shampoo, rinse well and then pour 2 cups of black tea prepared with one tea bag (seeped for 10 minutes and cooled) on my hair, finish other duties and do the final rinse off of residue tea from my hair.
After that let my hair air dry to about 70% dry state and apply nail scrape size of coconut oil to my lengths. I have found this routine to give me nice volume and shine and never feel dry or crispy in my case.
FYI my hair is always oiled 1 day in advance of wash day and RARELY apply conditioner to my hair after wash (say 3-4 times a year).

You don't use conditioner? Wow, I need it, but I should cut down, I use SO much! Thanks for the routine, I will probably be trying the tea rinse tonight!

Henrietta
September 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
SwordWomanRiona has started a successful thread about tea rinses (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68071) (she now uses red tea, but others use black, too).

Hollyfire3
September 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
SwordWomanRiona has started a successful thread about tea rinses (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68071) (she now uses red tea, but others use black, too).

thanks! I'm checking it out right now!:)

akilina
September 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I saw the thread on black tea and coarser strands and was intrigued!
I just now started playing around with tea though...I have been spraying rooibos tea on my scalp and I will say that I get awful buildup after 3-4 days.
I am willing to put up with it for a month though.

What I want to know about is spraying on green tea to my roots..i wonder if it would be beneficial at all?

Hollyfire3
September 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I saw the thread on black tea and coarser strands and was intrigued!
I just now started playing around with tea though...I have been spraying rooibos tea on my scalp and I will say that I get awful buildup after 3-4 days.
I am willing to put up with it for a month though.

What I want to know about is spraying on green tea to my roots..i wonder if it would be beneficial at all?

An article I read said that green tea is great for growth, may be worth a try!:D

akilina
September 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM
An article I read said that green tea is great for growth, may be worth a try!:D
That shall be my next experiment! I will get some green tea in bulk when I have $$$ and go buy some flax seeds at the natural foods store.

Hollyfire3
September 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
That shall be my next experiment! I will get some green tea in bulk when I have $$$ and go buy some flax seeds at the natural foods store.

Oh yay! I have a terrible habit of experimenting trying to get "perfect" hair and end up throwing everything off lol....I want to try the tea rinse though! I hope it goes well!:) Are you making flax seed gel?

akilina
September 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Oh yay! I have a terrible habit of experimenting trying to get "perfect" hair and end up throwing everything off lol....I want to try the tea rinse though! I hope it goes well!:) Are you making flax seed gel?
Nuuu but I want to make some banana chips with them :) mashed up banana mixed with flax seeds then you bake them for a few mins...
I also want to do several recipes that require flax seeds...I have heard flax internally is amazing for growth I think..I used to have some flax seed oil and never used it. I feel bad when I was 16 I made my mom buy it for me and it was really spendy then I never used it :( It is still in her fridge 5 years later but It is probably awful now.

I experiment way too much though... It is hard not to.

spookyghost
September 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I just started black tea rinses and Im pretty happy with it so far. I have been really worried about my horrible shedding since March and I heard that the caffine in black tea helps decreases shedding and helps stimulate and increase growth. I had my blood work checked and thats all fine. So this is what I do:

1. shampoo hair then I spray the black tea on my head with a spray bottle. Im trying the spray bottle first because its less messy. I spray it in good to make sure I get it everywhere and then I massage it in really good. I wrap my head in a towel and put a shower cap on and leave it on for 20 minutes.

2. Then on top of the tea already in my hair I put on a really good moisturizing conditioner-I use a mixture of macadamia repair mask and shea moisture-and I massage that onto my head. Wrap my head in a towel and put the shower cap on for another 20 minutes.

3. Rinse out really good. Really good. And then air dry or do whatever you like to do.

I did alot of research on this, on google, and it was advised to use a moisturizing conditioner because this will dry out your hair. And they werent joking! As soon as I put the tea on my head my hair instantly felt like straw:eek: I almost died. I knew that would happen so of course I was ready with the moisture but it was still very scary to have my hair feel like that in a matter of seconds. I was then praying for the conditioner to work! Which it did!;)

I have only done this twice and my hair feels stronger and my shedding is almost completely gone. Im not joking. Usually whenever I try something it never works. So when I saw only a few hairs in the bathtub as oppose to hundreds-well that was enough for me! It was the next day that I noticed the decrease shedding. I also just started using the mira hair oil again. Its so expensive but my shedding caused me to be desperate and I aleady know that it works. I also had amazing growth with the oil too.

So hope this helps you. Im very happy with it. Plus I want to naturally darken my hair. I might buy powdered black walnut to add to my tea but Im pretty scared about that. All the research I have done on that says it stains everything-skin, hands, clothes, the tub, etc. But people who use it love it. But Im scared of is staining my head! I have fine hair so my part probably has more skin then someone with thicker hair. What if instead of seeing white skin for my part you see black stain? :eek: If it stains everything I cant see how my whole head wont be stained.

I have been mentioning the black tea rinses in many of posts lately so I hope Im not making anyone who has already read how much I like them sick of hearing it!:D I tend to go too much if you havent noticed!