PDA

View Full Version : The Big Chop!

blondyhead
September 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
About 2 months ago i had a massive hair cut; went from 26 1/2 inches to 15 inches :( My meaning for doing this was to cut out all the dye that was left over in my hair ( so now i have virgin hair again :cheese: )

At first i cried, but now my hair feels like my hair again. It sounds strange but, when my was dyed it didn't feel like my own hair, but now it feels great :D

Is anyone else planning on a big chop? If so how much are you going to have off??
P.S My hair now looks like my avatar picture ( I'm still not sure how to put a picture in a thread lol )

cooklaezo13
September 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! I had a big chop in 2011. I went from tailbone length to ear length to get rid of henna and damage. I don't regret it at all, and growing hair has been fun :)

HylianGirl
September 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have already chopped off my hair, from waist length to shoulder, to remove a straight perm I did. It felt really short, but I felt really good for having my hair completelly mine, and unchenged. Those bad things that we do to our hair may seem regretable, but at least it will teach us to be more carefull and take goos care of the hair. You will recover your length soon, and when you do you will feel really good about it ^-^ good luck!

twoLs118
September 13th, 2012, 06:19 PM
ive done that before too & remember being sad, yet happy that my hair was all natural & my own!!

happy growing!!

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I never had the courage to cut off too much at once in the past, even when I had a lot of damage to grow out (thankfully that's pretty much over now). I justified this by never wearing my hair loose, so no-one besides myself ever really saw the true state of my hair.

blondyhead
September 15th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Is it just me? But i find short hair harder to manage over long hair. It seems as if everyday i have to style my hair just to get it looking decent lol. Also the temptation to use heat is far greater when my hair is shorter, does anyone else feel that way?

Mischamiu
September 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm planning a big chop once I reach waist, wich is going aproximately 6 months from now :D I have the exact same problem as you, my hair is a lot frizzier/more voluminous when it's shorter :(

Mindy
September 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Is it just me? But i find short hair harder to manage over long hair. It seems as if everyday i have to style my hair just to get it looking decent lol. Also the temptation to use heat is far greater when my hair is shorter, does anyone else feel that way?

I agree! My hair was in a chin length bob for years. Because of my waves I blow fried it every single day in order to make it behave. Now that it's past APL, I can let it air dry and it looks fine. No more having to heat style it into submission! I used to think that keeping my hair shorter made it easier to style. Now that it's longer, I realize how wrong I was.

Henrietta
September 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not planning a haircut at all but I wanted to say that when I think about dyeing my hair (I don't plan to do that either) I also have the impression that I'd see my hair as... not mine :D Maybe just for a few days and then I'd get used to it, but still.

hermosamendoza
September 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My husband is not ready for a big chop lol. I was going to cut it to shoulder length or CBL where my shortest layers are. But after asking his opinion he said "please wait until your hair is longer to make a big change again" lol

I have lots of annoying layers that curve in a funky pattern because of the damaged. So now I'm trying to get my hair naturally shiny and quench it's thirst. I will probably just gradually trim the ends so the colored ends go away with time.

starry
October 1st, 2012, 01:55 AM
I found tlhc and grew out my hair (severe dye damage and all) for about three months- because of my impending wedding I decided to leave the length (even though some parts had literally turned to jelly after the last dye and were only 1 inch long from ripping) and then one night about a month ago after Id drunk a bottle of wine :) ..I cut it off to about 3 inches all over.

I do not regret the chop... heaps of people have said how much better it looks and that they noticed the damage before. I look good with short hair. I cannot believe how different my hair feels- it feels "wierd" because Ive dyed my hair for the last 13 years so I didnt know what my hair actually felt like anymore!!

I feel like Im really glad I cut it off- I miss the length- being able to play with it more- braid etc, I want it to be long again, but it was worth getting rid of the damage- the three inches virgin hair felt and looked so different from the dyed length by the time I had cut it it just would have looked worse if Id left the difference in hair there anyway.

I do not plan to chop my hair ever again!! :D