PDA

View Full Version : massive headache, bun related?

whylime13
September 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
My head is killing me today - and at the moment it's mostly at the scalp level, but I can't figure out what I did.

I felt fine when I got up this morning, and put my hair in a ballerina bun with an elastic and spin pins.

About 1-1.5 hours later I had a headache (behind the eyes) but that was after a stressful meeting and lots of brain work, so I thought it was thinking too hard related.

Another hour after that my scalp is really hurting like my hair has been pulled hard. I checked my bun and it was not tight at all, and the spin pins were not putting pressure on my head, but redid it a little bit looser anyway.

The pain didn't stop, and now the scalp pain is much worse than the regular head ache. I just switched to a low loose pony to try and relieve pressure, but so far it is not helping. Massaging my head helps, but only while I'm doing it, as soon as I stop it comes back, and I can't be rubbing my head all day long.

I'm going to take some ibuprofen on my lunch break in a bit. Any ideas on what caused this? What else I can do to help my head? I'm worried there's something I don't know about that could be damaging my hair.

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Have you worn your hair like this before?

Did you draw up your hair in a different way?

It sounds like the scalp pain may be follicles hurting because they are being pulled in a direction they are not accustomed to.

I hope you feel better soon!

Jorja
September 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I get bad headaches if I wear my hair pinned up too high, ponytails or buns. It's not nice, hope it goes away soon.

Bookloverlori
September 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
That was my question, too. Have you worn it that way before. I have an exceptionally sensitive scalp. I get headaches from headbands, buns, ponytails, and even if I only put half of my hair up. My sister-in-law has beautiful hair, at least tailbone length. She wears it up most of the time. I don't know how she does it. She says it doesn't hurt at all. Me... one pony and my head is killing me for hours. :(

whylime13
September 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I haven't had problems with pain from trying new styles before, but maybe that's what this is. I was going for a top knot but ended up a bit lower than usual, but still higher than my usual ponytail range. So it was a different spot for me.

Is it possible to train hair follicles to get used to a new style? My bun looked really cute before I had to take it down, I was planning on adding it to my rotation, but I wont if its going to keep hurting me

whylime13
September 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Feeling better, but still achy, particularly just left of where the bun was. I must have done a real doozy on my hair this morning.

I've just bought my hair a get well present from the swap board, so things are looking up.

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Feeling better, but still achy, particularly just left of where the bun was. I must have done a real doozy on my hair this morning.

I've just bought my hair a get well present from the swap board, so things are looking up.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Yes, it is possible to train your hair to go in a new direction. It just takes time and patience.

Start by making sure your hair is completely detangled before you begin to style it.

Style your hair as desired and wear it up for one hour, then take it down.

Each day, increase the time you keep it up. Do it slowly! The hair follicles need time to accustom themselves to being drawn in a different way.

If your head can tolerate it, each time you take it down, give your scalp a little mini massage.

Little by little, your scalp follicles will adjust and you'll be able to wear the style with more comfort. Be sure not to pull any of the hair tightly (if you're using a ponytail technique).