PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Needed for Economical Conditioner with Cones

Mindy
September 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM
We go through a lot of conditioner in my house. My oldest daughter has very thick 3b hip length hair. My younger daughter's hair is thinner but also hip length. All three of us wash our hair at least three times a week. I'm looking for a budget-friendly moisturizing conditioner with cones. We have been using tresseme conditioners, but both mine and my older daughter's hair seems to be very dry most of the time, and I noticed a lot of breakage in my youngest daughter's hair yesterday. We do have hard water, could that be contributing to the dryness? I would love to hear some recommendations!

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
The dryness might be attributable to using too much product. Washing 3 times a week is a bit of overkill.

You might want to look into using mineral oil as a moisturizer, detangler. It is very lightweight and you need only a few drops.

Naturally, it doesn't have the coating properties of a product with cones but it is cheap and lasts forever. Johnson and Johnson makes a baby oil that is ideal (just the mineral oil plus a fragrance). It leaves the hair soft, supple and shiny.

PS Mineral oil works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can use it on damp (not soaking wet) hair..or on dry hair too.

DancingQueen
September 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ganier fructis!!! This cost almost nothing, and it is the most amazing brand I ever tried. You can get all sorts of different types, but try it.

Mindy
September 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
The dryness might be attributable to using too much product. Washing 3 times a week is a bit of overkill.

You might want to look into using mineral oil as a moisturizer, detangler. It is very lightweight and you need only a few drops.

Naturally, it doesn't have the coating properties of a product with cones but it is cheap and lasts forever. Johnson and Johnson makes a baby oil that is ideal (just the mineral oil plus a fragrance). It leaves the hair soft, supple and shiny.

PS Mineral oil works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can use it on damp (not soaking wet) hair..or on dry hair too.

Thank you for the recommendations! I will try the mineral oil. I have washed my hair every day for as long as I can remember. I'm trying to stretch out the time between washes, but so far by day 3 my hair is so oily I can't take it anymore and I end up washing it. Hopefully my scalp will get used to less frequent washes with time.

Mindy
September 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Ganier fructis!!! This cost almost nothing, and it is the most amazing brand I ever tried. You can get all sorts of different types, but try it.

Thanks, I will try it!

lapushka
September 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Seconding the Garnier Fructis conditioners. You might also try Pantene and Herbal Essences. I've heard good things about Aussie, but I don't know how pricy that is.

starlamelissa
September 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM
have you tried the suave professionals conditioners? The shea butter almond one and the "sleek" one have cones and smell nice. 2.50 for 22 oz on Walmart.com right now. :)

Clytemnestra
September 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
have you tried the suave professionals conditioners? The shea butter almond one and the "sleek" one have cones and smell nice. 2.50 for 22 oz on Walmart.com right now. :)

I second this choice, used it when I was doing cones, the shea butter almond makes your hair super soft and works great in SMT's, good price too.

Chimom79
September 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM

I have used the shea and almond one, it really is great! Smells fantastic and leaves hair soft and nicely detangled. :thumbsup:

Amarante
September 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I second Pantene, it's not too expensive. I would also agree with Madora about the washing fewer times a week. It will make your product stretch farther and give your natural oils more time to work down the length of your hair, making it healthier & more moisturized naturally.

spirals
September 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I just pick up whatever at the dollar store. I try to pick one that doesn't test on animals, but that's murky waters. Suave is out for me because Unilever is the parent company, and they just don't care. [/soapbox]