PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's Hair Feel Softer & Look Better Without Conditioner?

gogirlanime
September 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM
So when I do my Kool-Aid dying I make sure to wash my hair and follow up without conditioner so the Kool-Aid conditioner soaks in better. I don't like to let my scalp oil build up too quickly so I do it right before bed so I let my hair "fan dry" with a large fan that blows room-temp air and dry it ASAP. ANYWAYS, my point. I find my hair a TON shinier, softer and smooth without conditioner and a "fan dry" than when I condition and air dry. I mean even my heavily damaged ends from years of neglect look like hair in a Pantene commercial (I know, it's fake and all but thats what it looks like) it has bounce and volume and feels like soft short-haired cat fur.

Does anyone oil their hair at night and shampoo it out in the morning and not condition it and have nice hair like this all the time?

Or, I am thinking about oiling my hair at night, using a conditioner soak to get out most of the oil and then a light shampoo without conditioner afterward as my daily regiment. Because every time I do this to Kool-Aid dye I can't stop touching my hair

Fantak
September 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Yes! I find if I condition my hair after a deep all night oiling it gets crunchy and tangly at the ends :/

Guenever
September 13th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Yep, so I don't use condish.
I have yet to find a comercial conditioner that doesn't make my hair lank, dry-looking or feeling weird/crunchy. Cones/no cones, protein/no protein, natural ingredients.. it doesn't really matter.. my hair's just not a fan!

I really want to find one that works... At the moment, I've got my eye set on the rather pricey products from the Scandinavian brand Estelle & Thild or maybe John Masters Organics - they look great.. but every single condish I've bought so far has been a disappointment - a waste of money - so I'm not sure....

bayleafwish
September 13th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I wish it did but my hair is just straw without conditioner. My freind however has the healthiest looking hair I've ever seen and she said the other day she stopped conditioning because it made her hair greasy. So perhaps it depends on hair type, if you have oily hair maybe it provides to muhc moisture and creates that stringy effect?

gogirlanime
September 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I did it again this morning my hair looks and feels amazing! I think I will wash my hair in reverse like this instead, oil, condition-remove, shampoo, "fan-dry"

ratgirldjh
September 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Oh yes me. My hair hates conditioner. I have tried it so many times over the years and most recently co-washing with cones. If I don't get all the conditioner out it is lank and limp. The first time or 2 are great and then down hill from there no matter what conditioner I have used. If I manage to get all the conditioner out (MUCH rinsing) then my hair is crispy and too clean and my ends are dry.

I never have dry ends or crispy hair when I don't use conditioner. I think it is an addictive substance and covers up the way your hair really is (cones or not) and then when you don't use it your hair feels dry - kind of like being addicted to lip balm or lotion... meh I'd rather use oils.

Calaelen
September 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
My hair doesn't require conditioner, so I only use it a few times a year if there is a reason such as having coloured. Other than that I do egg washes followed by ACV and my hair is straight up awesome. I do sometimes use a shampoo that is as natural as I can find, but not often, and still, follow up with ACV rinse.

I love that about my hair.

Bambi
September 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I am starting to agree with you..the other day I just washed my hair with a SLS and cone-free schampoo, only to see what how it would turn out...well my hair was so soft, shiny and my ends was totally acceptable. Guess my hair is not a conditioner lover after all..I will experiment further:)

TheBluffs
September 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
It worked for me for about a month. I thought I needed to clarify, and didn't use condish that time. After a month my hair started to show signs of needing it again, so I using it again the next time I was my hair.

jojo
September 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I mainly use conditioner as my hair is naturally luggy, but I have tried without and had excellent results, especially after an overnight oil. It's just the tangles I can't deal with.

midbackorbust
September 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Lucky you guys! Mine just gets tangly and gross ._.

spirals
September 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I just realized today I cannot go without it.

JaneinMarch
September 13th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Yes. A little oil before washing is usually enough to keep moisture in. Coconut or castor.

ClassicalBlonde
September 13th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I don't use conditioner because it makes my hair feel terrible. I just do a heavy prewash with either EVOO or coconut oil and use a gentle shampoo and my hair loves it! It looks much better than when I used to use conditioner and it is sooo much softer. It's good to know I'm not the only one that has hair that laughs at conditioner :p

morrigan*
September 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I only use catnip and maybe lightly oiling sometimes and i my hair tangle much less, it's shinier and better shape, even my once bleached ends look okay.

arielįgua
September 14th, 2012, 04:14 AM
MERIDA IS ON LHC!! *.*

Kidding! I loved Brave movie btw.

I have tried not using conditioner and my hair looks fine too, but I like the effect of conditioner in my hair as well, so I keep using it. I have to mention that I dilute my conditioner, in order to make it last longer and to be easier to apply. (personal choice)

DarkCurls
September 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Yes!
I was reminded of that just this week. I CO-wash because my hair is dry, but I felt like shampooing on Friday, didn't condition afterward, and was amazed at how my hair dried. It had the most beautiful spirally, defined, frizz-free curls and felt soft and fluffy. I loved it. :D Before finding LHC I never used conditioner.
It does feel a bit dry, though, especially at the ends. But it looks gorgeous. Oo

moxamoll
September 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I only use conditioner to get henna out and for an SMT once in a while. Otherwise, it's ACV rinses, mineral oil and Panacea. But my hair is straight, so I don't think it dries out that same way that the curlies do. :p

Iolanthe13
September 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM
My hair likes conditioner, but it has more volume with catnip and oil instead. I'm looking forward to returning to uni, where no-one will judge me for my catnip tea...

hermosamendoza
September 14th, 2012, 03:23 PM
My hair likes and hates conditioner all at once. I can't condition above the ear and if I accidently get any near my scalp it looks greasy.
And if I try to skip co it takes days to weeks and my hair is completely frazzled looking.

Sunny_side_up
September 15th, 2012, 08:01 AM
After going back to SLS free for a few weeks(&no conditioner)and loving how well behaved & soft my hair has been, last night did a clarifying wash, using my other halfs cheap sls shampoo, and to make my hair manageable whilst wet put conditioner on the ends.
Went to bed with it pretty much dried... Urgh not only did my hair look a mess this morning: Dry, fluffed, kinked, it feels icky, so i ended up putting coconut oil on the length and it looks even worse. Im not planning on going out anyway! So tomorow will clarify with baking soda(my hair likey) then wash with My jason sls free shampoo and not be putting conditioner on!

Been enjoying my hair more for the last few weeks. After this i really didnt feel good about it at all, not doing that again soon. Thinking my hair is better off without conditioner. I love coconut oil and will use that on my ends when dry.

Flying Penguin
September 15th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I still haven't decided what's best for my hair. Up until a few years ago I NEVER used conditioner. Then a few years ago I started paying attention to hair care and started using it. The problem is I can never really tell the difference when I use conditioner or not. I'm not sure if this is because there is never really much of a difference or I'm just not observant enough to be picking up on it or noticing pattern, haha. Lately, due to laziness, I've skipped the conditioner in the shower and my hair still seems the same. I'll try to pay more attention now on to the condition of my when when I use conditioner vs. when I don't...

ETA: I use sulfate-free shampoos. Maybe conditioner would make more a difference if I used sulfate shampoos...