PDA

View Full Version : Trying CO for the first time! Quick question?

Ashlbee
September 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hi guys!

So, I am biting the bullet and putting aside my cone-y and SLS filled shampoo and condish combo and trying the CO method!

I've read the CO thread a bit, but just have a quick question.

Should I clarify first to be rid of and cone build up from the other products? Then I have the VO5 conditioner I plan to wash with daily.

Thanks!

gthlvrmx
September 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM
yes you should clarify. :) start fresh.

MeowScat
September 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I agree with gthlvrmx, clarify first.

A clean slate is good to start with. After clarifying, your hair (sometimes especially your ends) will feel and / or look dry. Extra conditioning / oiling afterwards will help you fix this.

Don't be surprised if this isn't solved right away, it might take one more times to moisturize it again. Remember, you're stripping your hair. Not just from the product build-up, but also the moisture.

I think of it as "resetting your hair", almost like a clean slate.

tiny squirrel
September 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Yep. I agree. "reset" your hair. :-)

ravenreed
September 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Ditto. Otherwise, you might not get the old buildup off, and that can affect how well CO works for you. GL! I love it.

Ashlbee
September 13th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I did as suggested! I clarified then slathered on the condition (VO5 strawberry Créme, yum!) let it sit about 10 min, then cold rinsed. Followed it up by a little buy of extra virgin olive oil on my ends (first time oiler!) lots of firsts today! I'm excited to see what I get tomorrow morning!

MinderMutsig
September 13th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I did as suggested! I clarified then slathered on the condition (VO5 strawberry Créme, yum!) let it sit about 10 min, then cold rinsed. Followed it up by a little buy of extra virgin olive oil on my ends (first time oiler!) lots of firsts today! I'm excited to see what I get tomorrow morning!Just an FYI in case you misunderstood; CO is more than just letting the conditioner sit on your hair and rinsing it out. Especially during the transition period it's very important that you actually wash you hair with the conditioner. Massage it in well until you get a frothy lather going and then massage some more. Apply a little extra water as needed. Conditioner is perfectly capable of cleaning your scalp but since it doesn't have harsh stripping surfectants but is a lot milder, you need to scrub and massage a bit more to actually get all the sebum and dirt out.

A routine of putting it in, letting it sit, and rinsing probably isn't going to work very well in the end.

Ashlbee
September 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification post! And yup, I've been massaging pretty intensely with the CO washes (second one today!) The oiling went well. I think I used a little too much on one side as it didn't fully absorb, but for the most part my hair is feeling softer and more silky! Now I'm just waiting to see if it gets a greasy look to it with CO washing and I need to go back to shampoo, or if this will work for me as a regular routine. Also, looking into getting some coconut oil as I've heard it absorbs better than evoo.

Question. Could I use CO daily and clarify whenever my hair starts getting greasy? Or is the clarifying shampoo too harsh and I should get a cone free shampoo for grease days?