PDA

View Full Version : For those at or around classic length

kallarina
September 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Do you wear your hair loose? My goal is classic, but I will still want to wear my hair loose. I plan to maintain there and do regular trims, but will this be enough to keep the damage from wearing down at bay?
Please give any thoughts you have about wearing classic length hair loose, or direct me to any relevant threads! Thanks!

Demi-Plum
September 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm at 36" (TB length for me) and I'm also on my way to classic. I wear my hair down all the time now and when I get to classic I plan to wear it down then too. I think like anything, it's moderation that counts. And as long as you are actively taking care of your length that leaving it down shouldn't be a hassle or problem. Of course keeping it up is going to be the safest because less damage will occur, but you can do things like pulling your hair over your shoulders when sitting again chair backs, Putting it up while you are in windy/damaging situations (and letting it down afterwards), and the like it will help to protect and preserve the beauty of your length.

ravenreed
September 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Classic is much harder length to wear hair down. In my experience, every few inches increases the tangle factor and the getting caught in things factor. My hair has always been tangly anyway. The worst is my under-layer, it likes to dread against any shirt I am wearing. I find that if I wear a high pony, it reduces my tangles, and makes my hair less likely to get caught in things. I still very rarely wear it completely down, but more often I wear a high pony, a comet bun, a side braid or some other way of containing my hair while still showing it off. I love comet buns because you get the tidiness of a bun, with the oomph of a bit of hair hanging down, and it also makes my hair look a less extreme length. It is a little more glamorous than my everyday nautilus bun.

nobeltonya
September 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I am just touching 42", so about 1" until classic. Yay! :disco: And I regularly wear my hair down. What has helped: regular nightly coconut oilings, lots of conditioner [daily washer] and a liberal amount of leave-in. :D It also helps that I'm used to it now, so I'm quite aware of my hair and am pretty good at keeping it out of the way. Or, sometimes I'll braid it or mid to high pony. :rolling:

Alvrodul
September 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I am quite close to classic now - I expect to get there next month - but I usually wear my hair up. Occasionally I'll wear it in a half-up, or wear it in a braid or ponytail. But I practically never wear it completely down when I go out - I hate it when my hair gets caught under a shoulderstrap, or in something else.
I think it is partially habit, I tend to feel rather odd when I don't wear my hair in some kind of updo.

kallarina
September 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I just recently reached tailbone with the tippy tips of my ends, so I've still got six inches to classic. I don't think my hair gets in the way now. I still wear it down and it doesn't seem to be any more or less damaged. I know that six inches can make a world of difference, though, and that classic length will present the challenge of potentially sitting on it by mistake. I guess only time will tell if it will work for me, I was just hoping for some reassurance from others that it's possible.

ravenreed
September 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah, it is possible. I just don't wear my hair down nearly as much at classic as I did at TB. I used to wear my hair down every day at waist, but those days are long gone. I miss them just a little!

I do notice that my ends get dried out faster when I wear my hair down more, and I do need to trim a little more often to keep up with the split ends. However, it is still manageable, and my hair is still growing away.

spidermom
September 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I seldom wear my hair down; it annoys me when I'm doing household chores, yard work, etc. But when I do get a chance to wear it down, I enjoy it.

kallarina
September 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Do you think it would be possible to maintain at or around classic with wearing it down often? Not every day, but a couple times a week maybe. I would be trimming regularly to maintain, so would that be enough?

Shepherdess
September 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I think braids became my main style when my hair reached hip length, so I rarely had my hair loose from then on. Now at mid-thigh I am starting to put my hair up in a bun almost every day since braiding it doesn't really keep it out of the way anymore! :p

But I think everyone is different and it depends on the type of hair on how well it will do leaving it out loose. My hair is very thick, curly and it tangles easily. So I find it much easier to manage when I don't leave it loose.

auburntressed
September 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I am currently at TBL and have never been at classic. TBL is how long my average "default" length has been for most of my life, and I am now going for classic.

I never wear my hair down, but the reasons are because of my lifestyle. I AM trying to keep it up and babied so that I can finally push past TBL and get to classic. But even if I weren't...

I have to look professional and a little school-marmish for my job. So my hair is always up for work, which is the main part of my day. If I run out to go to Walmart or run errands, I'll want my hair up so that I don't have to think about it while I am doing stuff. I really don't go out and socialize, so I'm not sure if I'd wear my hair down for that.

When I was a preteen and a young teenager, I wore my TBL hair in half-ups almost all the time. I never suffered much damage from doing that, and it never bothered me a bit back then. I don't know if my hair was a healthy then as it is now, though. There is no objective way for me to tell since that was over ten years ago. But I went to school, church, ect. and did all sorts of activities with my hair that way. Then I stopped and started wearing my hair in a French braid or a bun 100% of the time because kids at school kept trying to cut my hair. Then some boys set it on fire. So I didn't stop doing it because it was inconvenient to wear it down... I stopped doing it because I wanted to protect my hair from assault. If you are an adult, I don't think you will need to worry about co-workers trying to ninja cut your hair.

Melanie Marie
September 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm past TB and well on my way to classic, and I generally do not wear my hair down, even in a braid. The only exceptions I make are my dorm and my campus ministry (they are like family to me), and even with the latter I don't make a habit of it.

For some people, I guess it is easy to walk around with classic length hair and be alright. I personally don't like to for fear of damage, and I also find it inconvenient because I'm quite active during the day.

kallarina
September 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I don't want to have to live afraid of damage. I want to wear my hair and enjoy it, not constantly fear that I'm damaging it. Which is why I will probably wear it down despite the damage. If it becomes too much of a problem, I could always cut back, I suppose.

Madora
September 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Wearing your hair down may be all right for once in a while, but personally, it is too hot and always getting in the way, not to mention tangled.

Not worth the mess and possible damage to already fragile ends. My hair is always up in braids of some sort.

ravenreed
September 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
So don't. Worst case, as I said, you have to trim a bit more. Unless your hair is fragile, which it sounds like your is not. I don't think it will cause you problems if you can wear it down at TB without much trouble.

I don't want to have to live afraid of damage. I want to wear my hair and enjoy it, not constantly fear that I'm damaging it. Which is why I will probably wear it down despite the damage. If it becomes too much of a problem, I could always cut back, I suppose.

Natalia
September 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I dont wear it down very often, i find it gets in the way too much and i dont like to fiddle with my hair all day. I also have very fine hair and long fairytail end that need to be thickened before i feel really good about wearing it down. I dont like the looks i get from people who think fairytails equal unhealthy hair :(. Its person prefeance though when i do wear it down i like to have braid or bun waves to hide my thin ends.

I think with wearing it down often its all about awareness beware of seatbelts, purse straps, ect... and make sure to give them extra attention if needed like a baggie smt.

Lostsoule77
September 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I've worn my hair up at work for years. On the weekends I kept it down. Now my longest few bits are about 1" away from classic with variations up to bcl or hip (see my sig.) I still tend to wear my hair down at least one day on the weekends.

Growing hair this long gives you time to adapt to the length and keep it out of things.

theemeraldskull
September 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I am considering growing my hair out to classic length (if it so obliges!), good to read what those with classic length think about it. Though I might be sad if the length caused me to wear it up on a constant basis... I love my hair down. :-) If it becomes a problem for me though, I could always cut it again I suppose. :-)

heidi w.
September 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Do you wear your hair loose? My goal is classic, but I will still want to wear my hair loose. I plan to maintain there and do regular trims, but will this be enough to keep the damage from wearing down at bay?
Please give any thoughts you have about wearing classic length hair loose, or direct me to any relevant threads! Thanks!

At "Classic Length" which is approximately the bottom of the bottom (derriere), it's more likely that you will find it a bit of a hassle to actually wear it down a whole lot because any drift of wind starts meaning hair gets all tangled, PLUS the rubbing of hair on clothing, and getting caught in all kinds of things such as seatbelts and car doors. I've been dragged backwards by a whiffle of hair getting caught on a simple kitchen drawer handle! It's quite a sight to see someone so ensnared.

So despite what you think it'll be like, it's going to be very different than you think it will be. That does not mean to not go that long. It simply means you'll get good at updos.

Good luck otherwise.

heidi w.

heidi w.
September 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM

It's not the damage that your hair will suffer. It's you who suffers. It's that hair this long being worn down a super lot means more often it'll be ensnared in something. I won't spend much more time explaining, not to mention the ever existing wicked heat...which is particularly fun when you are in the midst of humid weather. Damage is the least of your real worries.

But good luck with what you think it'll be like.
heidi w.

ravenreed
September 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
She is already at TB, so she has an inkling of what she is dealing with already. I agree that classic is a bit more of a pain than TB. For instance, my hair gets caught between my lower back and my chair a lot more, but it isn't undo-able.

It's not the damage that your hair will suffer. It's you who suffers. It's that hair this long being worn down a super lot means more often it'll be ensnared in something. I won't spend much more time explaining, not to mention the ever existing wicked heat...which is particularly fun when you are in the midst of humid weather. Damage is the least of your real worries.

But good luck with what you think it'll be like.
heidi w.

Climber
September 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I rarely wear mine down. It loves to catch things (sometimes I swear it's prehensile!). Sometimes I'll have it in a single braid, and even then it can get a little "grabby". Then there's the possible damage of the braid rubbing on the back of my chair and that sort of thing.

I love my updos.

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
At "Classic Length" which is approximately the bottom of the bottom (derriere), it's more likely that you will find it a bit of a hassle to actually wear it down a whole lot because any drift of wind starts meaning hair gets all tangled, PLUS the rubbing of hair on clothing, and getting caught in all kinds of things such as seatbelts and car doors. I've been dragged backwards by a whiffle of hair getting caught on a simple kitchen drawer handle! It's quite a sight to see someone so ensnared.

So despite what you think it'll be like, it's going to be very different than you think it will be. That does not mean to not go that long. It simply means you'll get good at updos.

Good luck otherwise.

heidi w.

Exactly! Your concept of long hair care changes as you attain longer lengths. It can present a new set of challenges you never thought of!

spidermom
September 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Do what you like! If it doesn't work out for you, you can always do something different.

Cowgirl16
September 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I wore my hair down quite a bit until I reached classic. Now at near knee I rarely wear it loose and it is only in a braid for sleep or riding the motorcycle.

Classic length hair is alot different than TB or waist, you tend to get wrapped up in it or it gets wrapped up in other people or things :shrug: I still enjoy my hair just differently :D

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I wore my hair down quite a bit until I reached classic. Now at near knee I rarely wear it loose and it is only in a braid for sleep or riding the motorcycle.

Classic length hair is alot different than TB or waist, you tend to get wrapped up in it or it gets wrapped up in other people or things :shrug: I still enjoy my hair just differently :D

Vive le difference, Cowgirl16! I'm with you!

WaitingSoLong
September 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't read all the replies.
I am at Classic, inching past it now. I pretty much never wear my hair down.

I intend to wear my hair down to a concert this weekend. UGH. I am bringing a stick.

I have learned to wear a hat (hair friendly) to help keep it in place somewhat.

At Classic, it gets sat upon. It gets under OTHER people, too, which is not pleasant. It can get in the toilet or at least rest on the groady (wow I don't think I have ever spelled that word before LOL) abyss between the seat and the tank. EWWW.

It touches the floor every time I bend over to pick up something. It has done that for awhile, though. Probably since hip.

It gets caught in my pants. Caught in the crack of the car sear. The seat belt clip part. It catches on the keys I hang from my belt loop on my pants (and rips hair out). DH knows he has to carry the keys when my hair is loose. I can't do anything, like carry groceries. My hair does not stay behind my shoulders at all. It gets caught in my purse zipper. The button to my jeans. Need I go on? It's freaking annoying.

But it is not secret I have been fed up with my hair since TBL. I just don't know how to deal with it.

I wear a braid most the time when I want to show the length, usually in a paranda. The paranda helps keep it from frizzing out and makes it look a bit nicer. ETA: also, with a paranda, the ends are not my hair, it is the yarn, so less damage.

ravenreed
September 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
To fend off other people, or to beat your hair into submission? :p

I didn't read all the replies.
I am at Classic, inching past it now. I pretty much never wear my hair down.

I intend to wear my hair down to a concert this weekend. UGH. I am bringing a stick.

I have learned to wear a hat (hair friendly) to help keep it in place somewhat.

At Classic, it gets sat upon. It gets under OTHER people, too, which is not pleasant. It can get in the toilet or at least rest on the groady (wow I don't think I have ever spelled that word before LOL) abyss between the seat and the tank. EWWW.

It touches the floor every time I bend over to pick up something. It has done that for awhile, though. Probably since hip.

It gets caught in my pants. Caught in the crack of the car sear. The seat belt clip part. It catches on the keys I hang from my belt loop on my pants (and rips hair out). DH knows he has to carry the keys when my hair is loose. I can't do anything, like carry groceries. My hair does not stay behind my shoulders at all. It gets caught in my purse zipper. The button to my jeans. Need I go on? It's freaking annoying.

But it is not secret I have been fed up with my hair since TBL. I just don't know how to deal with it.

I wear a braid most the time when I want to show the length, usually in a paranda. The paranda helps keep it from frizzing out and makes it look a bit nicer. ETA: also, with a paranda, the ends are not my hair, it is the yarn, so less damage.

Panth
September 13th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I agree with this. Classic is a whole different ball-park compared with TB, though they are so few inches apart. Everything WaitingSoLong listed only really happens at classic and beyond, in my experience, while TB is much more similar to shorter lengths. For starters, at TB you can't sit on it and other people certainly can't!

For me, it's a simple matter. If I wear my hair loose regularly it physically cannot reach classic. It gets an inch or so past TB and hits a false terminal as it gets worn off more below that point.

I have to wear my hair up for work anyway, so I just extend that and wear my hair up on the weekends mostly too. Hence I am now a few inches from knee. I figure I can't have my hair loose so I might as well enjoy it some other way - by seeing how long it can get.

WaitingSoLong
September 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
To fend off other people, or to beat your hair into submission? :p

Umm...YES.

LOL! I thought of that when I was proof-reading my post before hitting submit.

AineMuirne
September 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM
My hair is 2 inches away from CL (40 inches for me) and it is starting to get a bit annoying, but I still wear it down almost every day. If I weren't dealing with going to university, I wouldn't think it was so annoying, though. While going about school/wearing my back pack I just keep it over one shoulder and curl it up in my lap during classes. I'm fine with wearing it out to the grocery store or whatever and it poses no problems (I don't carry a purse or anything, which probably helps) to just let it hang loose all around my shoulders/back. It has started getting in the way of my pocket access, but it's not really a hassle and there isn't anything for it to get stuck on. I just push it aside. It can reach chairs/toilet seats that I sit on, of course, but I never have a problem just moving it aside and it's never touched the toilet seat. I'm a ridiculous clean freak, though, so it wouldn't be a big deal if it touched my toilet seat, lol.

HOWEVER, I do have extremely manageable/silky hair. Right now I haven't brushed my hair since 1pm and I went out to the vet to pick up my cat (he has a really bad bout of pancreatitis complete with infection :( :( :( ), laid on the floor with the cat for about an hour, and took a 2 hour stress-relief nap and I can still run my fingers through my hair and it looks like I just brushed it.

skyblue
September 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I hardly ever wear mine down now, I think that once I started reading the boards and forums here, I became overly protective of my hair and started to really notice just how many things we do during the course of a day that can cause major damage, not only that but as it gets longer it starts to get caught in things lol like car doors, door knobs, trapped between me and the kitchen sink...the list goes on and on so its just safer and easier to just put it up ;)

Quixii
September 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
It's possible, and I do so for special occasions, but it gets in the way a lot more than shorter lengths. And you keep sitting on it. So you just have to watch your casual actions a little more.

IvanaGil
September 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm about 2 inches from classic and it does get very annoying. If I'm wearing my hair down, I have to sit completely still otherwise it will tangle.

WaitingSoLong
September 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I'm about 2 inches from classic and it does get very annoying. If I'm wearing my hair down, I have to sit completely still otherwise it will tangle.

Yes, this.

Ticky
September 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
When mine was classic length, it would annoy me very much when it was down. I kept it in a half up so that it doesn't fall in my face, but it was still annoying. I had to be careful not to pull it if I sit, all that... Sometimes, I would bend down to pet my cats, and my hair would get all over them like a curtain :laugh: (although that happens at other lengths, too, if you aren't careful).

It just wasn't for me. However, I do know a couple of people who wear it down at that length. It seems to work for them.

kmoc123
September 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I am at 41" and wear mine down all of the time...