PDA

View Full Version : Several suggestions for you frizzy, wiry Cs! :)

nobeltonya
September 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
OK, after much experimentation, I've found the following to work well with my type 2, somewhat wavy and relatively thick coarse hair:

* Turbie twist - You should definitely have one of these. Now, I wouldn't go back to a regular old bath towel.. my hair is so much softer, easier to comb, dries faster, etc after being wrapped in one of these babies. :rolling:

* Coconut oil - Just pure, regular old edible coconut oil, every or every other night, is what my hair likes.. I have oily skin and scalp, but massaging a LOT of this into my scalp and length has actually seemed to cut down on the oil production [probably b/c it's counteracting the drying effects of shampooing daily]. And, my hair has thickened up, become more shiny, stronger, etc. And I apply it at least a few hours before I go to bed, and bun it to sleep with spin pins, so it doesn't get on my pillows. :)

* Sunsilk Soft & Smooth shampoo [with egg] - This smells fantastic, and works really well, even every day. After 2 months straight of using this, I finally switched to a different one. But next is this one again. :)

* Dabur Vatika Smooth & Shine shampoo [with green almond, henna and shikakai] - This also works really well. It almost seems that you have to wash twice the first time, to really get it into your hair and have the full effect. After that, once daily is enough. This also helps to smooth and smells pretty good. :)

* Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner [29.4 oz w/pump] - This is awesome, and lasts about 3 weeks. :) Smells good, conditions well, and so far has worked with the shampoos I like to use. :)

* Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine leave-in cream - This lasts about a month, and I've been using it for probably most of a year now. It's fantastic [I think], smells like apples, and is one of the things that helps me wear my hair down most of the time. :)

In addition to these products, combing wet with a wide-tooth comb and wet bunning also help tremendously. Feel free to contribute your own miracle products that work well to help tame your frizzy, wiry, coarse hair. :disco:

Tisiloves
September 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
CO washing, my hair is so much softer and has a lot more flop (rather than just trying to stick straight up/out). ETA: it seems to work well on frizz on other people, but my hair lacks enough curl to get frizzy.

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CO washing, my hair is so much softer and has a lot more flop (rather than just trying to stick straight up/out). ETA: it seems to work well on frizz on other people, but my hair lacks enough curl to get frizzy.

I agree. My hair is 3a/b and has massively benefitted frizz wise from co washing.

I deep treat with coconut oil once a week and use microfibre towels and a turbie and I only fingercomb when it's wet and with conditioner on it.

But the thing that improved it massively from day one was co washing.
I love it! :)

WickedLady
September 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I agree. My hair is 3a/b and has massively benefitted frizz wise from co washing.

I deep treat with coconut oil once a week and use microfibre towels and a turbie and I only fingercomb when it's wet and with conditioner on it.

But the thing that improved it massively from day one was co washing.
I love it! :)

my hair got greasy fast and stayed frizzy after co-ing. :( i have 3a/3b hair fine and thin

nobeltonya
September 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM
my hair got greasy fast and stayed frizzy after co-ing. :( i have 3a/3b hair fine and thin
I don't have your hair type, but mine also didn't react well to CO-washing, WO, stretching washes. But it is so relieving once you do finally find out what works for your hair. :) After 1.5-2 years of experimentation... :disco:

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
My hair made it quite clear that CO was not for me - it felt kind of greasy afterwards.

I've found that what actually works best for me is Garnier Fructis 2-in-1. Weird, huh? But it works, and my hair is glossy and hangs in nice waves.

I mostly like my Turbies because they speed up the drying process a little bit. I actually use 2 or 3 - I'll towel my hair dry, and then put it in a turbie, and about 15 minutes later put it in a second turbie, and if I'm feeling like bothering, I'll put it in a third one 20-30 minutes after that. They don't actually do anything with regard to my texture, though.

~Blaze