PDA

View Full Version : How long til it grows back?

CajunBaby
September 12th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I am going to call and make and appointment with a doctor today to rule out hypothyroidism. But this will be the second time I have gone to test my thyroid (the first time it was normal).

I was under a phenomenal amount of stress earlier this year. Then I started noticing my hair was thinning. The problem that caused the stress was alleviated 2.5 months ago, but my hair is still falling out at the root :(

My hairdresser noticed it too and he says it isn't in any sort of pattern so he thought it was stress but he doesn't know why its still falling.

My hair still grows a good half inch each month. But it's simultaneously falling out. If it is just stress, shouldn't 2 months be enough for it to stop??

spidermom
September 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM
These things vary so much; it's impossible to say.

KrissyKitty
September 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
It can take the body a long time to get over a huge stressor. I don't know if it's possible to say when your body will recover, but it won't be immediately after the stressor is removed. Going to the doctor is a good idea, if it were me, I would focus on taking care of myself as best I could. Eating healthfully, taking vitamins, exercising, and getting enough sleep to allow the body to recover. I'm sorry you've had to go through what sounds like a very hard period.

Avital88
September 12th, 2012, 07:29 AM
hairfall usually takes a good 12 weeks for me to begin to get less, so i think 16 weeks total to get back to normal.. it is a pain. im sorry that you go through this, i had similar last spring and cut back a total of 13 inches since then

Madora
September 12th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Have your doctor order a complete blood panel also, to rule out anemia (which can cause hair loss). Good luck!

CajunBaby
September 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Thank yall for the great replies. I'm relieved to hear that it can take a good 4 months to recover (or more). So at least I know regrowth might still be in the future for me.

I would like the full panel like mentioned above. My insurance won't kick in until December. I wonder how much that would cost?

Yall are too sweet and helpful. Thanks again!

spookyghost
September 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Im not saying this is the answer but so far it has helped me.

My small little story! I have been shedding or losing way more hair than usual since March-maybe even longer. This alone was stresses me! So finally three weeks ago I got alot of blood work done. I told my dr that anything that can possibly make hair fall out I want a blood work test on-thyroid, hormones, etc. All my labs were fine. I know stress can cause hair loss but Im always stressed. I was born stressed. I am naturally a very stressfull person. So even though that could be it, I just wonder because I am as stressed now as I was a year ago or five years ago. So what gives now?

So I did alot of research on black tea rinses. Its suppose to help stop or lessen shedding and promote new hair growth. It is also suppose to naturally darken your hair and grey hair so thats another reason I wanted to try it.

Flash back to this past Sunday. I did my first black tea rinse. My hair shedded basically the same or maybe just a tiny bit less. But this was my first day doing it so I wasnt callling it quits. The next day I shampood as usual and almost no hair came off my head. To say that I was amazed doesnt even come close!:D I was stunned and so excited. I swear I felt beautiful all day long because of this. My hair felt stronger and longer. I know it didnt grow in a day. Im not saying that it did. But it seemed to flow down my back better so I imagine it gave it the illusion of being longer. So I did the rinse again tonight. Im going to do it two times a week.

I have no idea if this will work for you or if you even want to try it. But I just want you to know if you do it to make sure you use a deep moisturizing conditioner too. I just dont want anyone to skip that part. When I squirted the tea on my hair it immediately felt like straw. Scared me to death. I did alot of research on this so I knew to use a moisturizing conditioner so I didnt panic too much. I paniced a little only because that was scary for my hair to feel like straw. It gave me the feeling of-omg what did I just do!

My hair did darken a little. I dont think it was even noticable to anyone else. Im trying to get back to my natural ash blonde color so I want the darkening. I might even add powdered black walnut to the tea for more darkening.

If you want to know how I did it just let me know. I cant tell exactly what I did. This post is already way too long, lol, I dont want to make it even longer with how I did it unless you really want to know.

P.S. its also suppose to help hair regrowth!

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I've had my thyroid cause growth stalls. It got better 3 months AFTER I had my thyroid medication adjusted, and I started seeing regrowth about 2 months after that (agh, I have so many short hairs right now!)

~Blaze