PDA

View Full Version : Which coconut oil?

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Currently I use this one:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268622297

But I spotted this one yesterday. It said it had hydrolysed coconut oil and perfume in it.

http://www.superdrug.com/body/superdrug-coconut-oil-125ml/invt/203003/&bklist=

Do you think there would be much difference?

kaydana
September 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I've used both and there is definitely a difference. I strongly recommend sticking with the one from Tesco. The Tesco one makes my hair shiny and frizz free and smells delicious and coconutty, the Superdrug one doesn't melt properly and leaves my hair feeling greasy and gross and it smells really artificial. I saw none of the benefits coconut oil usually gives me when I was using the Superdrug one, I just ended up throwing it away, it was so awful in comparison.

With this, you really do get what you pay for.

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks!

The Tesco one does the job well for my hair..and to be honest I didn't understand why the Superdrug one contains perfume.

What I do like is the plastic pot..I must get something to decant into as the Tesco jar is glass and I am always 'almost' dropping it...!

MegaMystery
September 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM
You can always melt the Tesco coconut oil and put it in a different container :)

kaydana
September 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I put mine in those little plastic pots that you get for putting products in for travelling. You can buy the little empty pots from Superdrug or Boots, or get three of them in the bags of travel sized bottles that Primark and Poundland both sell for a quid.

I keep the glass jar in the kitchen cupboard, and just refill the little plastic pots from there whenever they're running low. Means I'm not shoving my fingers in the whole lot, so the rest is still good for cooking with!

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Ok...I am busted! I am a sucker for packaging! Lol! (as well as not wanting to break my precious jar of coconut oil)

Must admit I have used those little pots from Boots before and they always used to crack.
Good thought about Poundland though..we have a Pound Stretcher here...I will go take a look. :)

kaydana
September 12th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Maybe an empty lip balm tin, then? You can get some really pretty ones and you'd have to try REALLY hard to break one of those.

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I did try one of those and couldn't get the lid off!

Think I will go pot hunting this afternoon..

Thanks for your thoughts on teh Superdrug stuff though...I will avoid! :)

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 06:35 AM
And so I was cleaning the bathroom and went to grab my conditioner which slipped out of my hand, knocked my coconut oil which then fell into the bath and is now in two pieces! Lol!

Got some little tubs from Pound Stretcher...decanting now in progress! :)

melusine963
September 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I would absolutely go for the Tesco one. If your hair is anything like mine and you only use a little bit at a time, it will take you literally years to get through a jar like that. Since I'm not sure what the shelf life is, and waste is sinful, you can always use the extra for cooking (unlike the perfume containing Superdrug version).

theodora
September 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
That superdrug one is awful, don't know what's wrong with it, but I still have two pots of it (it was on offer! I couldn't resist!). Now I need to find something to use it for... I really don't know what! Especially as it is non-edible...

Suze2012
September 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Am so glad I asked! I really feel for anyone who has bought this Superdrug one going by what has been said here. :0(

I've seen the odd post around here and there for cheaper coconut oil but one certainly is at a shop I can't get to.

I must say I have no complaints at all about the Tesco one.

If I were you I would use them up as fast as possible but keep the containers and use them for the nice stuff.

As I was looking around for pots I decided that I'd spend the £1.99 on the Superdrug one just for the pot and bin what was inside it if I couldn't find anything! Lol!

kaydana
September 12th, 2012, 11:17 AM
That superdrug one is awful, don't know what's wrong with it, but I still have two pots of it (it was on offer! I couldn't resist!). Now I need to find something to use it for... I really don't know what! Especially as it is non-edible...

Maybe you could burn it for the scent? That's about the only thing I think it might be good for...