PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear its bun boredom...

Natalia
September 11th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I am a pretty plain person when it comes to everyday hair just a cinnabun with a u-pin but ever since i found my old cheapy sticks and esty i am experiancing bun boredom. I have been through the lhc articles section twice and im still bored anyone have more resourcs for full updo stick or u-pin buns?

Thanks,
Natalia

DancingQueen
September 12th, 2012, 12:33 AM
You can try some different braided buns, hypnobun, wowen bun. Or mabye experiment and invent your own?

khan
September 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM
You Tube: lilithdarkmoon, JJJLongHair, Loepsie, Habioku. There will be links galore to take you to similar videos.

Rapunzel's Resource, 1000 Days of Hair, Dressy Tresses.

That should keep you glued to the screen for a while :D.

Natalia
September 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM
You can try some different braided buns, hypnobun, wowen bun. Or mabye experiment and invent your own?

wowen huh thats one ive never heard of off to google thanks.

You Tube: lilithdarkmoon, JJJLongHair, Loepsie, Habioku. There will be links galore to take you to similar videos.

Rapunzel's Resource, 1000 Days of Hair, Dressy Tresses.

That should keep you glued to the screen for a while :D.

awesome thanks :) im fairly new to youtube so that should keep me busy.

Loveisaverb
September 12th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Here are some (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o)

ladyfey
September 12th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I second lilithdarkmoon on youtube. She is amazing!

Madora
September 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Bun boredom will be a thing of the past if you learn to section your hair..i.e.:

1) Detangle all hair
2) Make a horizontal part from the top of the left ear around the back of the head to the top of the right ear
3) Take all the hair above the part, comb it out gently, then loosely braid it. Secure with hair friendly elastic band.
4) Coil the braid in a bun, securing with hairpins (not bobby pins) at the 4 directions (north/south/east/west). Tuck tassle under bun.
5) Take all the hair below the part, comb it out gently, braid it loosely.
6) Take braid and wind it around the bun already made. Tuck in tassle. Pin securely with crimped hairpins.

Voila: double braided bun.

This style can also be done for: double roped buns, cinnamon buns, double twists, the Cameo bun.

Sarahlabyrinth also added side braided accents to her double braided bun for added interest.

piffyanne
September 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Bun boredom will be a thing of the past if you learn to section your hair..i.e.:

1) Detangle all hair
2) Make a horizontal part from the top of the left ear around the back of the head to the top of the right ear
3) Take all the hair above the part, comb it out gently, then loosely braid it. Secure with hair friendly elastic band.
4) Coil the braid in a bun, securing with hairpins (not bobby pins) at the 4 directions (north/south/east/west). Tuck tassle under bun.
6) Take braid and wind it around the bun already made. Tuck in tassle. Pin securely with crimped hairpins.

This style can also be done for: double roped buns, cinnamon buns, double twists, the Cameo bun.

Sarahlabyrinth also added side braided accents to her double braided bun for added interest.

I've gotta try this one!:applause

Madora
September 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
@Piffyanne..please post pics if you can! I love to see how others do this sectioning technique.

spidermom
September 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Boredom - that's why I had bangs and side tendril pieces cut. I don't care if I know 1000 buns (I don't). From the front, a bun is a bun is a bun; they all look the same, pretty much.

HairySherry
September 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'd do a YT search for "Torrinpaige bun" - she's got SO many great bun tutorials. My hair isn't yet long enough to do a lot of them, but I still enjoy watching her all the same. :)

khan
September 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Natalia - you're welcome. Glad to pass along the addiction, er help.
I agree with Spidermom that a bun is a bun is a bun from the front; but for me it's fun to play with different styles. I really want to play with some pouffy victorian styles some day. http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/titanic/hair.htm
this one looked interesting too: http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/

Madora; I checked out a book you recommended 'hair graphics' I think was the name. Excellent, had to return it too quickly. I'm going to try your double braided bun this week. Reorder the book too :).

Natalia
September 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Wow thank you for all the suggestions everyone i feel better about my hair now. Some of them are off limits to me because of my joints but i still found many to play with.

Boredom - that's why I had bangs and side tendril pieces cut. I don't care if I know 1000 buns (I don't). From the front, a bun is a bun is a bun; they all look the same, pretty much.

I agree and i would love to have bangs again but they are too much work for me. my hair texture doesnt translate to low maitenance bangs though and i dont have the energy to put into them right now. Though i am in a recent love affair with esty and found a few affordable unique barrettes and combs to adorn my buns with to give them some front/side interest.

Madora
September 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Natalia - you're welcome. Glad to pass along the addiction, er help.
I agree with Spidermom that a bun is a bun is a bun from the front; but for me it's fun to play with different styles. I really want to play with some pouffy victorian styles some day. http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/titanic/hair.htm
this one looked interesting too: http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/

Madora; I checked out a book you recommended 'hair graphics' I think was the name. Excellent, had to return it too quickly. I'm going to try your double braided bun this week. Reorder the book too :).

Glad you were able to find a copy of the long hair graphics soft cover book, Khan! I just love it...so many fabulous photos so clearly presented!

Dovetail
September 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3seUIwwd6I&feature=g-all-u

Totally rad katniss "super bun" as I call it xD I'm going to try it tomorrow.

LaurelSpring
September 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Check out the paranda/parandi thread. Making alot of multi colored parandas really got me motivated and excited about my updos again.

heidi w.
September 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
There is absolutely no real reason for bun boredom, now an official term. Check out Torrin Paige (sp?) on youtube, JJJ on youtube--these are my mentionable faves. Then there's The Long Hair Loom and Rapunzel's something as websites, that may be helpful to you. Then there's your friends who can show you something, if you simply ask them. There are all kinds of books regarding hairstyling to view and on the list goes. Oh, and there's Janet Stephens historical recreations of famous hairdos women wore in the past, too. She's a super nice lady, and just recently discovered that LHC exits. Her most recent youtube showing off was done with a live model's hair, who has fairly longish hair now.

Lots to choose from.

Meanwhile buy yourself a new headband or hair stick and resolve to wear it. I know lots of updos, if you ever need help. An easy quick updo is Bees Butt Bun. I have a long bobbypin or a hair stick hold it, or both!

heidi w.

khan
September 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Madora; it was a Blast from the Past too! It took a while to get; I used the InterLibrary Loan that Mid-Continent offers. My daughter is growing her hair; it's just about waist length now & she was astonished at what you can do. She's pretty much like I was at her age (28), put it in a pony tail & that's an Updo!

Sewas
September 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
FieryPha on Youtube has two great tutorials for her Pha bun and a for a french twist which are very lovely. Also check out the beautiful hairstyles by Dolly-tube. Sorry, I haven't learned how to put links in.

Artisticat
September 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM

1) Detangle all hair

I tried this method on my almost APL hair. Did 3 braids as my hair is layered. I feel that it looks like I have WL hair! Thank you Madora!!!! This will be my go-to bun style!!!:cheese:

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Madora; it was a Blast from the Past too! It took a while to get; I used the InterLibrary Loan that Mid-Continent offers. My daughter is growing her hair; it's just about waist length now & she was astonished at what you can do. She's pretty much like I was at her age (28), put it in a pony tail & that's an Updo!

Yay for InterLibrary Loan! I've used it too with terrific results! I'm really surprised you were able to get the Long Hair Graphics book from it. Books of that pictorial instructional type seldom enter the library stacks.

I got a kick out of your daughter being astonished at what you can do with hair! You'd be very surprised how long hair can be fashioned!

khan
September 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Madora; I tried your method today & I agree with Artisticat - I'll be doing this often. :cheese:

InterLibrary Loan has 9 copies. Dismal. My librarians are good to me though.

I'm thinking of you today, thank you.

patienceneeded
September 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Once again, Madora's advice is awesome! I'm at school waiting for Open House to begin and playing on here till the parents arrive in an hour. I had a couple of random pins in my desk drawer and my Ficcare. I used the pins to anchor the base bun and then used the Ficcare to hold the whole thing together when I finished the wrap-around braid. It looks great! I'm going to try this with some other buns too!

Madora
September 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Madora; I tried your method today & I agree with Artisticat - I'll be doing this often. :cheese:

InterLibrary Loan has 9 copies. Dismal. My librarians are good to me though.

I'm thinking of you today, thank you.

Glad you liked it, khan!

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
FieryPha on Youtube has two great tutorials for her Pha bun and a for a french twist which are very lovely. Also check out the beautiful hairstyles by Dolly-tube. Sorry, I haven't learned how to put links in.

I love her tutorials. I'm determined to get a hair fork just so I can try her Pha bun.

Natalia
September 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Well between all the youtube channels and my rapidly expanding toy collection thanks to esty and ebay i dont think i will be bored again for a while :)