PDA

View Full Version : Horrible itching after BS/ACV

Majix
September 11th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well hello there my hairy friends! :p

I hope you could help me out here before I itch my brains out! :meditate: You see, I decided to try a BS/ACV rinse 2,5 weeks ago after finally getting fed up with my constant flat and lifeless hair. My hair was seriously like glued to my neck - I had no volume whatsoever. So yeah, after some lurking about in the forums I found out that it's most likely a massive build-up on my hair, which it was, because the moment I drenched my hair in the Baking Soda it felt like 50kgs of dirt was removed from my head - just like that, like magic! I must say it was a really strange but wonderful feeling, haha. Sadly that feeling didn't last too long, the day after my scalp started to itch really bad. I used conditioner in my hair right after the ACV rinse and I also put some coconut oil on the lengths after I got out of the shower (the BS sure is drying.) I've had no dandruff or anything, it's just itching like hell and I don't know what to do anymore! I've been violating my scalp with my nails (yeah... I know) constantly ever since the treatment and I'm getting worried the consequences will start to show up soon.

I washed my hair with BS/ACV again like 3 days ago but this time I used a little less of both ingredients like half a tablespoon instead of a whole, I also diluted it like crazy. I didn't use any conditioner like last time because I found out it builds up really easily on my hair >< so I decided to skip it. I only applied some Sweet Almond oil on the lengths after getting out and it felt good for a couple of hours so I thought I got rid of it... but no no, it started to itch again!!!!! What is this sorcery?? Now it's mostly itching along the hairline (above the forehead) and it's more intense than it was before.

What do I do ladies and gentlemen? I'm getting desperate, so I'd be really grateful if anyone could aid me through this itching nightmare! :D

lapushka
September 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I think BS is enormously drying and should only be applied once every x-number of times or so. It's very clarifying, and you don't want to clarify every time. As for the itchies, maybe your BS solution was too heavy on the BS.

Gonzo
September 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I'm going with the BS. I can use it on my scalp diluted to about 1 tsp per cup of water just fine, but some people just can't tolerate it at all.

I had the same itchy reaction to BS however when I used it in a DIY deodorant attempt. Ye gods never again - my pits turned bright red and itched for days! :disgust:

DinaAG
September 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
may be you are allergic to bs/acv, stop them and be extra gentle to your scalp, try oil massage with whatever suits you

Majix
September 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think BS is enormously drying and should only be applied once every x-number of times or so. It's very clarifying, and you don't want to clarify every time. As for the itchies, maybe your BS solution was too heavy on the BS.

Yeah it is very drying! But the oils I apply to my hair really doesn't like the idea of leaving my hair so I never get them out completely (I only use conditioner), which is why I had another go at BS/ACV so soon. My hair likes BS, but my scalp doesn't.

Do you have any suggestions to what I could do to cure the itch then? :-( I won't do BS in a while that's for sure, but I know it'll keep itching until I do something about it!

Majix
September 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I'm going with the BS. I can use it on my scalp diluted to about 1 tsp per cup of water just fine, but some people just can't tolerate it at all.

I had the same itchy reaction to BS however when I used it in a DIY deodorant attempt. Ye gods never again - my pits turned bright red and itched for days! :disgust:

I'm jealous! I wan't my scalp to love it too, the clarifying effect from BS is just amazing. :(

I can't even imagine what that would have been like, sounds horrible! Sitting there scratching your pits like a crazy, damn! :p I would go nuts doing that.

DinaAG:
That's the last thing I'd want to hear, meep! But yeah that could surely be a reason to why it itches. The scalp looks perfectly healthy and it isn't red or anything. Maybe it doesn't matter? But i'll try the oil massage to see if it gets better.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 11th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Well if you used something for the first time and it itched so bad, probably not a good idea to use it again so soon after lol.

Maybe you can apply an itch relief ointment from the store. I have never personally tried doing that to my scalp so not sure how that would be. Maybe wash with a very gentle shampoo, because the BS might not have been completely removed from the hair. Next time you want to clarify maybe try an actual clarifying shampoo.

Majix
September 12th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Well if you used something for the first time and it itched so bad, probably not a good idea to use it again so soon after lol.

I know! It was quite stupid to do so :D but I was thinking how could it possibly get worse than this? So I just gave it another go hoping it'll feel better this time... awful logic.

Maybe you can apply an itch relief ointment from the store. I have never personally tried doing that to my scalp so not sure how that would be. Maybe wash with a very gentle shampoo, because the BS might not have been completely removed from the hair. Next time you want to clarify maybe try an actual clarifying shampoo.

I've been looking for sensible priced clarifying shampoos but I just can't find any. I live in Sweden and we don't have all the fancy brands that are suggested around here, so it makes it slightly more difficult to find a good one. Also the reason I went with BS in the first place is because I prefer to use as many natural products as possible on my hair.

However as DinaAG suggested, I tried to massage my scalp with some oil yesterday. In this case I used Sweet Almond Oil and thankfully it stopped itching right away - thank you, Dina! I'm thinking my scalp must have been dying from dryness because the oil felt really calming!