PDA

View Full Version : Any real curl/wave enhancers out there?

Salmonberry
September 11th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've typed my hair at 1c/2a because it's not quite officially wavy but it certainly isn't what I'd call straight. Lately, I've been having a bit of a desire to see if I can break the barrier and coax some real waves out of it. Not touching it at all when it's drying seems to work, but it's very impractical as it will tangle if I don't comb it out. But combing or brushing at all will kill most of the wave.

I've researched a few products touted as curl enhancers but they all just seem to be glorified leave in conditioners for people with already curly hair.

Does any one have any tried and true method of enhancing waves? I've heard about amla, but I don't want any color effects from it. (I'm blonde).

starlamelissa
September 11th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have heard that the hair gel "lots of curls" from labella is great for enhancing curls/waves. I have been meaning to buy some.

lionessmane
September 11th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hello,

My friend has straight hair and she sprays salt water in hair to bring out a bit of curl. The salt she uses is himalayan and she does not add very much salt to her salt/water mixture. She also adds like maybe a 1/2 tsp of castor oil and shakes the mix up very well. She just sprays it on her hair lightly, tousles it and lets it dry. The wave seems to stay and her hair doesn't dry out. Hope this helps!

Kyla
September 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
You could try scrunching maybe? I just tried it a few days ago using aloe vera gel, I already have waves/wurls but it still made a big difference.

Kiwiwi
September 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I suggest reading about The Curly Girl Method.
It really helped me enhance my curls and love them :)

CurlyCap
September 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Anything that increases moisture + don't touch while drying.

Try what you would usually consider "A Deep Moisture Treatment" and then just let your hair dry. Maybe seal with some light oil to trap the moisture until your hair dries.

After you get those results, post and we can go from there with suggestions. :D

Ml001
September 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I second the Curly Girl method. :)

As far as product - it is not recommended for wavy hair but my hair *loved* it and my curls popped like never before...it was DevaCurl styling cream. ymmv. :)

spirals
September 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Citric acid rinse revs up my curl factor. So does magnesium sulfate (epsom salt), but that causes a frizz armageddon.

brave
September 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Magnesium sulfate does feature into a lot of curl enhancers. Instead of actual salt you can also use Epsom salt in a mixture to bring out curl, but it can be drying.

As far as not brushing it when it's wet, what most waives do is comb through in the shower when conditioner soaked, and the clumps will keep it from getting too tangly.

As far as actual products, I've had the best luck with kinky curly curling custard, aveda's be curly curl enhancer (contains cones), or simply a good leave-in conditioner, gel, and scrunching/plopping. You can find a ton of product reviews on naturallycurly.com, usually by CG-followers.

Do you currently use cones? At least a few of our members found that their hair goes almost perfectly straight with cones, and springs back to life when they only do cone-free co-washing.

Edit: for starters, consider just trying this. (http://healthycurls.net/2011/01/06/quick-and-easy-steps-to-discovering-your-natural-texture/) It's like a jump start into curly girl techniques.

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I clarify once a week because my hair is fine and the waves get weighed down. Every wash or COwash I use the highly diluted lemon water rinse that is in the big list of links. You can see in my avatar what my hair looks like taken down from being up and brushed. This is what my hair looks like after lemon rinse and plopping.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w438/TropicalSerenade/Hair%20Growth/Hair%202012/HairTypingUnder.jpg

My hair is so slippery though that I'd have to do this in the morning and not touch it for it to stay like that, though.

ETA: All the heavy conditioning that Curly Girl recommends does not work for me. It makes my hair very greasy and really weighs down my waves. I do not have course, poofy waves/curls though, my hair is very shiny and slippery.

Hollyfire3
September 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I use something called strictly curls by marc anthony on my hair and it works wonders. It is like a curl enhancer/gel, it is fairly light and shouldn't weigh your hair down, and it has a soft hold but adds tons of texture. I got mine at CVS, you should try it.:D

Salmonberry
September 12th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses. :) I do occasionally use cones. I'll use Aussie 3MM about once a week or whenever I feel like I need it and an "Argan Oil" cone serum on special occasions. Since I also shampoo about once every 2 or 3 days, I don't see a problem with it.

I've heard about the CG method, but I just don't think I'm ready or willing up to give up shampoo and cones.

I'll try the deep condition and not touching it while it dries method a few of you have suggested.

lunalocks
September 12th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Do try a drop of baby oil rubbed on your hands and then on the ends and lower length of your hair when damp, then comb. it acts as a detangler. the finger comb and let air dry. This has helped bring out more wave in my hair.

I also have used MOP pear detangler, then comb, then baby oil, then finger comb and air dry.