PDA

View Full Version : First self trim (including layers)!

Periwinkle
August 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I've never trimmed my own hair before, but I've been impressed with how many people here do it. Recently, my ends have been feeling really dry, and this last week it's really started to bother me, so I decided to trim them. Because my hair is layered and all the ends were dry, this meant taking about 1cm off all the ends, including the layers.

I started with a regular straight-across trim, which made the ends of my hair feel fantastic. Then I decided to tackle the layers.

I tried several methods, but eventually did it like this: I combed all my hair over to one side of my head and then tipped my head on its side. This made lots of the short bits come to the top. I gathered as many as I could in my hands, then when I had most of them, I tied them in a bun on top of my head. Then I went through the rest of my hair trying to find the rest. When I thought I had them all, I braided the longest part of my hair and took the rest out of the bun. This was rather entertaining, as it let me see what I'd look like with shorter hair (and it reminded me why I like it long!!). Then I did another straight-across trim on the layers, only parts fell out, so I did them on their own. Finally, I took all my hair out and ran through it with my hands and trimmed a few bits that still felt dry.

Overall, I took between 5mm and 1 inch (hooray for mixing measurements!) off most of my hair. The ends feel a lot better, though they're still uneven because of the layering. I think I've made the layers a little too short, but I only cut off what was dry, so it's for the best I suppose. Overall, a good experience!

And now - how can I stop my ends getting dry in the future?

Shanarana
August 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Good job, I do my own trims myself and the last one I just did the hemline......I also have layers that I decided to grow out. I would be to afraid to try and tackle my layers and I admire you for taking that on. I know there are others who have done their own layers with good results. I just decided I didn't want them anymore.

Periwinkle
August 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I'm definitely growing mine out! It'll be a slow process, though, as I don't want to lose much length and my layers go all the way up to my jaw.

Chamomile betty
August 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
You did a great job. Your hair looks so pretty.

I use a bit of coconut oil on my length the 2nd day after washing. It seems to help my ends. I also wear a lot of updos so my hair doesn't get any damage.

hth

totie
August 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I just did the same for my hair!! Good thinking about braiding the length before cutting the layers, wish I had thought of that!!!!
Glad you are happy with the results, I am with mine.:D

spidermom
August 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I think that CWC with diluted shampoo has really helped my ends. Most of the time I will hold the ends in one hand while I'm rinsing so that no shampoo goes through them. Plus I do moisture treatments and use coconut oil on them.

I used to trim my layers by making a ponytail on top of my head, then bending forward and sliding the hair tie toward the floor. It would make the ends fan out, then I could minimally trim the dry-looking areas, which are always a bit lighter in color. That worked well.

paper
August 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Good for you! I'd like to learn how to trim my own hair too, when it gets longer.

pariate
August 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Congratulations on your self-trim! I remember how I felt the first time I trimmed my hair. It's quite liberating, isn't it?!

As for preventing future damage, I've got one word for you...

Luuuuuuuubrication - it seems to me that the reason many people have trouble switching to cone-free is because they need the cone-created slip to stop their hair tangling, splitting etc. Lots people going cone-free find oiling an essential part of their routine. I do oil but I find I need an extra aid in locking in moisture and therefore providing lubrication for my strands. For me the AGO mix + oiling keeps my hair tangle free and seems to prevent the majority of splits.

Aqua Gal
August 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Periwinkle, I've been gearing up for this very thing! I bought a pair of scissors about a week ago and I'm still mustering the courage & knowledge for my first self-trim. I'm glad to hear that your layers went well, as that is my biggest concern.