PDA

View Full Version : So I figured out something...

Rufflebutt
September 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I remember for the first month on LHC I would slather my hair in conditioner and EVOO and my hair would seemingly just drink it all up. My hair couldn't get enough conditioner and oil! This worked really good for a while(Like the first two months) and then I started running into all of these buildup issues and my hair looked stringy. Even after clarifying, my hair would get tons of buildup quickly. So I decided to cool it on the products. Now I hardly touch it with any leave ins after I condition it in the shower. And then in between washes, I'll add maybe a pea sized amount to my ends if they feel particularly dry. My hair looks a lot better now.

You think my hair was just really dehydrated at first but reached a state where it doesn't need to be soaking up moisture constantly anymore? Is that possible?

spirals
September 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I think so. I used to have to use 1/3 cup rinse-out conditioner to get the tangles out and get it soft. I don't even use rinse-out conditoner most of the time now. I think oiling has something to do with that. Yay LHC!

MelH
September 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Sounds like I need to start oiling more!

Madora
September 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I remember for the first month on LHC I would slather my hair in conditioner and EVOO and my hair would seemingly just drink it all up. My hair couldn't get enough conditioner and oil! This worked really good for a while(Like the first two months) and then I started running into all of these buildup issues and my hair looked stringy. Even after clarifying, my hair would get tons of buildup quickly. So I decided to cool it on the products. Now I hardly touch it with any leave ins after I condition it in the shower. And then in between washes, I'll add maybe a pea sized amount to my ends if they feel particularly dry. My hair looks a lot better now.

You think my hair was just really dehydrated at first but reached a state where it doesn't need to be soaking up moisture constantly anymore? Is that possible?

Yes, based on what you said, your hair probably did need conditioning...but only up to a point, as you discovered. If you overdose on conditioning plus oiling, your hair will become lank and dry.

"Less is more" works.

Demi-Plum
September 10th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sounds like you are listening to your hair. Not long after I started the LHC I got some nasty build up that took a week of good shampooing and clarifying to get rid of. Since then I watch what I use on my hair and see what it says. If it's starting to look too stringy then I add less oil, if it feels dry then I add more (includes leave-ins of course too). You should know that I have i volume + fine/thin hair so in the warmer months I wash my hair every day because of too much natural oils on my scalp. I only oil from ears down with argon and coconut.

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I'm lucky in away my hair still likes the products I use and the same amount. In your case I'm glad you're in tuned to your hair. Maybe your hair is well moisturized.

katfemme89
September 11th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I've noticed this on my hair, too. When I first started oiling, my hair would soak it up like a sponge. And now... it just kinda sits there. I still oil, but not as often.

I think it's a great sign for your hair, and take this as an opportunity to wean yourself off of a few products maybe and let your natural sebum take over a bit :D

Yay for healthy hair care!

Bambi
September 11th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I've noticed this on my hair, too. When I first started oiling, my hair would soak it up like a sponge. And now... it just kinda sits there. I still oil, but not as often.

I think it's a great sign for your hair, and take this as an opportunity to wean yourself off of a few products maybe and let your natural sebum take over a bit :D

Yay for healthy hair care!

I feel the exact same way and couldn't be happier!:beerchug: to LHC!

lmfbs
September 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Yup, same here. I don't do long conditioning often any more - I used to leave on conditioner/oil for a couple of hours at a time 3 times a week, but now I do it maybe once every 2 weeks for 1/2hr. My hair is in so much better condition that it just doesn't need it.

brave
September 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Yes, and it's good! My hair is the same way and finally it's not just horribly dried out by the end of each day.

Tisiloves
September 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Especially on my bleachy ends, it was some intense rehab, but now they're practically normal.

ratgirldjh
September 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
My hair likes conditioner for like 1 time - maybe 2 then it gets lank and weird no matter how much I try and rinse it out. I have much better luck with oils.

dwell_in_safety
September 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I've always, since joining here, done a sort of deep coconut oil treatment every other week. I still do that, but I use FAR less oil than I used to. I noticed a couple months ago that the amount of oil I was using just wasn't soaking all the way in anymore, and most of it would still be sitting on the top of my hair when I washed it out. As a result, I had build-up, and it didn't look very good. I could never get all the oil out of my hair. I've toned it down significantly and only really use a light application of oil, and my hair is MUCH happier.

Amusingly enough, I actually use MORE jojoba oil as a leave-in than I was in the past, but that's just because my hair is growing longer. :) :p

jojo
September 12th, 2012, 07:58 AM
A pint pot will only hold a pint! Sounds like your hair was crying out for moisture and then got as much as it needed and rebelled! At least you have now worked out what it needs!

duchesswannabe
September 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
A pint pot will only hold a pint! Sounds like your hair was crying out for moisture and then got as much as it needed and rebelled! At least you have now worked out what it needs!

Good way of putting it. Good thread overall.

RubyTuesday
September 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Interesting. It always amazes me how hair seems to change and just when you have got it sussed it changes again. What I have learnt from LHC is that there is a way of restoring hair and you don't always have to cut it. I used to think that if my hair was in bad condition I would have to cut it. Now I realise that I can experiment with oiling and moisturising and clarifying etc.

itdontmatter48
September 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I feel the exact same way as you. Isn't it wonderful to figure out our hair likes and dislikes?

gonzobird
September 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
My hair is doing that right now. Its too healthy for all that oil. . Boo and yay!