PDA

View Full Version : Blonde envy...

kallarina
September 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Every time I see blonde hair, I get horribly envious. Whether natural or bleached. It doesn't matter. I had blonde hair as a child that gradually darkened. I dyed it darker for a long time because it worked for me, but I've ALWAYS wanted to go back to blonde. I can't bleach, my hair won't tolerate it even with coconut oil. So there's nothing to do but sit and be eaten alive by envy, I guess.
Does this happen to anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it?

Salmonberry
September 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm naturally blonde and as I child I always envied girls with dark brown hair. Part if it is because I was teased for having blonde hair and part of it is because I just thought if I looked different, then I would feel happier. After being told by my father and a few friends that some women would frequently pay a lot of money to get hair like mine, I accepted it. I guess it just helps to realise that there's someone out there who wishes they had your hair color/type/texture naturally.

One thing that I've learned recently, however, is that there's nothing really wrong with wanting a change. My whole life, I've been pretty rigid when it comes to altering my appearance by any means not deemed natural. Experimenting with henna/cassia glosses has opened me to the idea that changing hair color is not a bad thing. In the end I guess it comes down to doing what's right for you and only you can decide that.

I've been going through a little bit of curl/wave envy lately. I wish my hair was truly wavy, but a perm is absolutely out of the question. Not much I can do other than be okay with what I've got.

rtree721
September 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Kallarina: I think it is funny you have blonde envy and I have dark hair envy! I would love to have your hair color, it is beautiful.

spookyghost
September 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I used to have white blonde hair when I was real little and it kept on getting darker as I got older. I eventually ended up with ash, or ash blonde?, which I never really liked. I always considered myself blonde and always got my hair highlighted and colored so I could remain a blonde.

I always used to be so jealous of naturally blonde women who didnt have to get their hair colored or highlighted. And the funny thing is now I want to embrace my natural ash color and I am having the worst time getting it back! All I want now is healthy hair that is my natural color. I guess as I get older I just love what I have!

panffle
September 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
My hair is naturally very dark, pretty much black. I get blonde hair envy too, and my hair is too fragile to handle bleach... And I don't like my natural color, I dye it a medium brown (which I like a lot). I tried going blonde once, it didn't go very well...

ArienEllariel
September 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I still have blonde envy... I caved and had my aunt dye it a strawberry blonde a few days ago. Did my eyebrows to match. I'd prefer not to have the red in it but my hair will pretty much always have that red underlying tint (that's just how my family's hair is) so this is as good as it gets. So far no breakage and I'm enjoying the color. I feel more Rapunzel-like now. :)

My natural tint is mousy brown though I was light blonde as a child. I could accept my natural hair color but for now I'm going to have fun with the blonde. If I get tired of this I might actually go for more of a medium brown like Princess Leia. Might as well enjoy myself while I'm young. :p I had vowed never to dye my hair but for now this just feels right.

akilina
September 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I get blond envy :) Especially for the REALLY white blondes and the almost greyish blondes.
Didn't you recently go thru some sorts of bleaching process? I forget exactly what was done...sorry!

I feel lucky that for the most part I have not attempted to go blond. I know it will NOT work. I am naturally really light blond but have been dyeing for ages. I recently went thru that bout of wanting to color oops out the henna to match something close to my roots. However I realized it just would not work. I am happy enough that most of that henna is gone :)

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I get a little bit of blonde envy myself. :( I'll probably never dye my hair, blonde or any other color, but I do sometimes think about what it might be like to have long, blonde hair. Damn you, society!!

leslissocool
September 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
The reasons why I do get blonde envy are:

- Light hair is more versatile color wise, you can put blue in it and it will show and I LOVE crazy rainbow colors. My hair would be pink if I didn't have to bleach it.

- When you do an updo you can see the color chances and it you can clearly see braids, it looks amazing.

- It looks like you are being kissed by the sun when out. Looks amazing when you wear black clothing.

Yeah... I tried going blonde and it didn't work. I loved how it looked but it killed my hair. My hair is naturally black and super coarse.

Audhumla
September 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I can relate. I had blonde hair as a toddler and then it went to a nice strawberry blonde and then a really nice reddish auburn and now all the red has pretty much faded out and I'm a brunette.
I still like my natural hair colour but dang it I wish my hair has stopped changing colour somewhere in that transition other than where I'm at right now.

kallarina
September 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not alone.
Rtree721, LET'S TRADE! ;)
Akilina: yes, I did bleach out my dark ends this summer. My hair was colored almost black, and I bleached it to match my natural hair better. I'm letting my natural color grow in, which is an ash blonde/light brown now. It's a very soft color, I do like it... I just hate that I can't be blonde. :(

Tia2010
September 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I have "every color" envy :)

I see blonde and I want it, then I see an amazing raven black color and want that..then I a bright henna red and..you guessed it, I want it :D I know odds are I will keep the same color I have had for what seems like forever now, but I like to dream and "what if" :p

MidnightMoon
September 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Well it doesn't happen to me
I actually dislike blonde hair
it would be nice to dye with unnatural colours without having to bleach, but I'm not envious of the colour itself.
I prefer jet black hair, or ginger...
I am enious of light eyes, though, like green, blue, gray...

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
The reasons why I do get blonde envy are:

- Light hair is more versatile color wise, you can put blue in it and it will show and I LOVE crazy rainbow colors. My hair would be pink if I didn't have to bleach it.

- When you do an updo you can see the color chances and it you can clearly see braids, it looks amazing.

- It looks like you are being kissed by the sun when out. Looks amazing when you wear black clothing.

Yeah... I tried going blonde and it didn't work. I loved how it looked but it killed my hair. My hair is naturally black and super coarse.

Nail. On. The. Head.

I also have coarse black hair, but I'm also brown so blond will never look right on me so I have to make do by living vicariously through my blonde friends. Funny enough my blonde friends all think darker hair is prettier. Go figure.

HintOfMint
September 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not alone.
Rtree721, LET'S TRADE! ;)
Akilina: yes, I did bleach out my dark ends this summer. My hair was colored almost black, and I bleached it to match my natural hair better. I'm letting my natural color grow in, which is an ash blonde/light brown now. It's a very soft color, I do like it... I just hate that I can't be blonde. :(

Given enough time, I'm sure you'll be able to take your natural color virgin hair blonde. That's a color that is very easily dye-able, I've heard. The problem comes with already dyed hair.

MissEarlGrey
September 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I should probably stay away from this thread but being naturally blonde has it's pitfalls. I envy dark-haired girls because you are more likely to be taken seriously in professional and personal situations. But otherwise, it's a very pretty color to have.

If swoon over naturally auburn/red hair; it's so pretty.

kallarina
September 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
MissEarlGrey, I never thought about that. Do you really get discriminated against based on hair color? I couldn't imagine not taking someone seriously because of their hair color unless it was like a rainbow Mohawk or something, and even then I'd probably think they were cool. ;)
I could probably eventually go lighter with my natural hair if I wanted. With as badly as I envy blondes, it might happen someday. Sigh.

battles
September 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I tend to swoon over dark hair, or pale silvery hair. Not so much golden blonde.

It's a matter of the grass being greener on the other side, I believe. You may not like your hair color, but someone is paying big money to get the color you have.

Rufflebutt
September 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I have the opposite problem with dark hair. My hair is medium to light golden brown. I've always wanted a really rich chocolate brown with noticeable red undertones.

Rhoward
September 10th, 2012, 09:45 PM
:violin:Blonde envy almost sent me bald! I had the worst hair dresser experience ever, she bleached it so much that it fell out at the roots, I cried for weeks and now after 10 long months those "scalped bits" are about 6 inches long on my now shoulder length hair - of course I had to cut HEAPS off the ends as well.

Blond envy kills!

justgreen
September 10th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I've had more problems with shedding from medicine changes than I've had from bleach. I think the majority of problems come from trying to bleach hair that has been dyed a dark color. That, and not having a good enough hairdresser.

I don't bleach because of envy. I bleach because it matches my complexion better. I have my paternal grandmother's dark auburn hair with my mother's complexion. I leave the underneath panel natural, mostly just to enjoy the swirl of color when I put it in an up-do.

Mountaingrrl
September 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM
The good news is that when your white/silver hairs start to come in, you can go back to your lighter color without bleaching.

justgreen
September 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM
The good news is that when your white/silver hairs start to come in, you can go back to your lighter color without bleaching.

:o I'm actually there. My silvers are fairly thick in the temple and just beginning show themselves elsewhere, so my hairdresser gradually switched me from light golden to white about 18 months ago.

I don't know if I'll ever stop the bleach, I'm in love with my hairdresser.;) I would even refuse to move to Florida when Cyk retires in a couple of years.

Fantak
September 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM
OP: what's your experience with bleaching it blonde? Maybe you can do it really gradually. I did it over 3 years (to be honest I wish I stopped last year since the bottom third of my hair is starting to break off,, but anyway).

There are a number of us bottle blondes on LHC I'm sure someone will be able to suggest something that works :)

Pigfarts
September 11th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I have blonde envy because they can more easily dye their hair pretty rainbow colors.

It's my life dream to have cotton candy pastel hair. But it will never happen with my dark hair.

Oksana
September 11th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I envy dark-haired girls because you are more likely to be taken seriously in professional and personal situations.

MissEarlGrey, I never thought about that. Do you really get discriminated against based on hair color? I couldn't imagine not taking someone seriously because of their hair color unless it was like a rainbow Mohawk or something, and even then I'd probably think they were cool. ;)

This happens to me all the time. A couple of years ago I dyed my hair dark brown and was treated like a completely different person - especially by men. For instance with my natural blonde colour, if I'm in a bar having a drink with friends, I can almost guarantee that some random guy will physically show me that he is interested or will abuse my personal space whereas, when I was a brunette men actually came and chatted to me like I wasn't a piece of meat and seemed interested in what I had to say rather than how I looked.

Despite this, I do love my natural colour and I know that I am very lucky to be such a light blonde as an adult.

auburntressed
September 11th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I definitely have blond envy.

My most coveted color as a child was strawberry or golden blond.

As I grew older, the reds caught my love more. So I gravitated toward strawberry blond envy. It is definitely my favorite hair color, and the vibrant reds are a close second.

Alas, my hair is dark enough that trying to get any shade of blond or lightening my hair at all would be too much for me. Too much damage, too much upkeep, and too much money. I'm also not 100% sure the shade would suit me.

But I'll have it some day. :) My mother's hair has lightened to the most amazing and perfect shade of strawberry blond. If for some reason my own hair decides to turn gray instead of blond as I age, I will simply combat it by cutting my henna with generous amounts of cassia until I get the shade I'm after. :)

Oh the agony of waiting... But I have decided to enjoy my dark hair in the meantime. Because I know that once it's gone, it's gone for good.

afu
September 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I was born with black hair which quickly turned very light blonde, it started going a darker ashier blonde when I was in my teens. I have very pale skin and blue eyes and I highlight my hair because I think it suits me better, I tend do have a full head of highlights once per year and then just a T section every few months in between. Like justgreen says, i like to have that darker bit of colour their underneath sometimes and it is also less upkeep.

I really love white/grey hair - literally can't wait to go grey naturally!

I think what I envy most is colour definition, as in being properly blonde or properly brunette or bright red - personally it's the being in between blonde and light brown that i dislike on myself.

I have had comments about being blonde regarding professional evnironments, even my research supervisor said he wouldn't have expected someone who looks like me to have done so well and won agricultural student of the year - apparently blonde isn't taken seriously in the agricultural world. I've never had problems with men like Oksana though, I've generally always been invisible to men whatever my hair colour

ApatheticFairy
September 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I have hair color envy. I have tonal envy, I think because I envy only the darkest and palest of hair. Black/darkest brown hair to me looks all velvety and majestic, like sable pelts. White hair looks like a blanket of snow (I'm obsessed with the winter season)

I used to feel anything but dark hair or white blonde is "blah" but I've come to appreciate the colors in between, especially "calico" hair, which is what I naturally have. Being on a natural beauty kick really helps my self-confidence when it comes to not reaching for the box of dye.

Lilli
September 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm blonde and I have red hair envy, though I'll never do it. I would hate the damage, fading, upkeep, etc. I'm too much of a perfectionist.

mzBANGBANG
September 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm a blonde with curl envy. :) We always want what we can't have. I go through stages of really considering getting a perm but the damage would be so significant, I can't do it.

Honestly, I have a lot of wigs. Whenever I want to be treated differently for a day, I put one on. Usually I find the grass isn't greener, and I get my temporary fix. It makes me appreciate my natural look a lot more. I figure a good hair cut and dye job probably costs as much as a nice wig so why not invest in one? You can even get some pretty cheap ones in fun colors. My pink bob wig was about $6 and it's great if I feel like looking a bit edgier.

spidermom
September 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Enjoy your favorite color on other people.
Having my hair dyed my favorite color would be wasted on me because I don't spend a lot of time looking at myself.

hermosamendoza
September 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I get blond envy :) Especially for the REALLY white blondes and the almost greyish blondes.

Me too. I always have loved the ash blondes!
I have red undertones in my hair naturally and even with bleach my hair won't go past an orange blonde. Even a professional bleaching it didn't last more than two weeks before it turned orange.

I have a picture from facebook of me in a blonde wig and everyone loved it..But I think it's because my lighter eye brows finally looked natural lol..but for the most part i try to look for hair inspiration from women with darker hair like mine or darker than mine so i don't get an itch to color

Avital88
September 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
well let me tell you, i have dark AND blonde hair envy! i'm in the middle,as a medium brown auburn, but i love honey blonde and blue black hair... both i dont have :(
I like the wig idea

jen5972
September 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
My dd has naturally blonde hair, and she wants it dark! I would love to have her hair color! I dyed my hair lighter about 15 years ago, and it looked really bad with my skin color. Plus it fried my hair! I guess I'm just not meant to be blonde. I had always heard that if you were blonde as a child, that you will look good if you color it blonde when you are an adult. I never was blonde as a child, so maybe that is why I looked so washed out as a blonde!

kallarina
September 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I do like the wig idea...
And to answer the question asked about bleach experience, yes, I've had awful experience with bleach. I bleached my dyed dark hair to blonde once three years ago, and because it was dyed dark, the brassiness that ensued was AWFUL. Not only that, but we couldn't get a tone of blonde that complemented my complexion because of the brass. My natural roots turned a very pretty blonde, and while we got the ends blonde, it was NOT pretty. If my hair was all virgin, I wouldn't hesitate to at least highlight it.

kitcatsmeow
September 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have SERIOUS ginger envy. I want to be a red head in the worst way. I could pull off strawberry blonde but that's about it. Sigh. I'll just admire it from afar...

Kyla
September 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I had major blond envy when I was little and do sometimes still get it when I am tempted to dye part of it purple. For it to show up, I would have to bleach. :(

Syaoransbear
September 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm a blonde and I have eyebrow envy. Mine are like invisible without an eyebrow pencil :/.

Tota
September 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm natural blondette (or maybe dark blonde with honey highlights now in the summer and after honey lightening) and I have major ginger envy. I tried to achieve it but I looked terrible because of my pale but rosy complexion and almost invisible brows. My bf has light brown hair but has some ginger strands on his head and even in his beard. Sometimes I say that he better fortifies his ginger genes and pass them on to our (future) kids or I'll be seriously disappointed :D Just a joke, I really don't care about the colour of their hair. But then again ... one can dream.

juliaxena
September 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have a bit of dark blonde hair envy. Having light ash brown hair myself. Dark blonde is my absolute favourite color. People don't think of it as very blonde but it is blonde.

kallarina
September 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
My little sister is a redhead. While I love her hair and I think it's gorgeous, I don't envy it. I just envy that she has a color that's beautiful without chemicals, whereas I think mine is plain and dull without dye.

Unofficial_Rose
September 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
This happens to me all the time. A couple of years ago I dyed my hair dark brown and was treated like a completely different person - especially by men. For instance with my natural blonde colour, if I'm in a bar having a drink with friends, I can almost guarantee that some random guy will physically show me that he is interested or will abuse my personal space whereas, when I was a brunette men actually came and chatted to me like I wasn't a piece of meat and seemed interested in what I had to say rather than how I looked.

Despite this, I do love my natural colour and I know that I am very lucky to be such a light blonde as an adult.

I've been blonde (dyed) and I've been brunette and I agree with every word of this. Much more superficial attention from the blonde, nice men wanting to date me with the brunette.

Also the professional situations different treatment which has been mentioned. No-one ever treats me like I'm a dimwit now I'm dark. But I still hanker after the blonde now and then even if it no longer suits me. :rolleyes: However, when you're blonde you never feel boring or like a librarian when wearing an updo. There are pros and cons to both, really.

(My sig pic is an old blonde pic because I had a few 'privacy issues'.)

kitcatsmeow
September 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm a blonde and I have eyebrow envy. Mine are like invisible without an eyebrow pencil :/.

THIS. I totally pencil mine on/in daily. I can go without any other makeup but not my brows! I have a blonde friend that got hers tattooed. She was super super pale blonde though. Like albino. I managed to darken mine a smidge with castor oil.

melusine963
September 12th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I can sympathise. I used to be very blonde when I was little, and I often think it was a far more interesting colour than the one I have now. I've got used to it now, but it did take a good few years.

millyaulait
September 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Blonde is beautiful, but so is red. I basically colour-lust after what I don't have.

I'm stuck with dark brown hair so I fall in love with blonde in the summer, and red in the fall/winter. They just glow.

Sigh.

jojo89
September 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I have every color envy!! lol I wish I had dark red hair with green eyes! We always want what we can't have. I also LOVEEEEE black but it would look terrible on me. My natural is ash blonde, I lighten it and keep the underneath a light-medium brown with a reddish tint so I get the best of both worlds. If it was all blonde, I probably would have already dyed it brown again since I get bored easy. I am a recovering hair color addict! I've kept it blonde for a year now, but I get urges to color darker; I just control myself better now. Dark hair is beautiful so embrace it! I do get treated different when I am blonde and usually not in a good way.

cheryl888
September 13th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I am the same, i have total blonde hair envy, i bleached the life out of my hair for 10 years and have recently dyed it back brown, which takes some getting used to :(

LadyCelestina
September 13th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Meh.I do get blonde envy from time to time.But it quickly goes away when I imagine blonde on myself.Any shade of blonde.I have a very cool complexion,so my only choice would be platinum,which would absolutely clash with my dark brows.Plus the damage...No thanks.

defineinsanity
September 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Try sun-in, thats what I do and I should be a brunette by now... thankfully sun-in saved me from being the mousey colour I never wanted. I too used to be blonde when I was a child and I always get blonde envy so I just go with what I want, as yet it is more damaging to my hair than if i just left it but it's not nearly as damaging as bleach or boxed hair dyes as you can control the shade and amount you apply. It's truely wonderful stuff and I have to recommend as I have very light highlights and a bright golden mane now. :) Go for it i say, you only live once and if you're looking at others hair wishing you had the colour, try it out... you may be much happier that colour :)
Sun-in comes in gentle, normal and super... so start off applying it all over untill you get the shade you want (you'd probably have to keep at it a while untill it gets to the blonde colour you want as your hair is quite dark but it will definitely work) then just add highlights from your roots with the super :)
Oh and extra tip... if you apply coconut oil the night before and the day you are going to lighten your hair it will reduce the damage as coconut is apparently the only oil that will allow the peroxide to penetrate :)
Good luck. mail me if you want anymore tips, orrrr if you try it out you have to tell me the results :) :) x

elbow chic
September 13th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Being blond is pretty great, I have to admit, but even so it gets boring after awhile.

Which is why my hair is currently a lovely shade of light teal. :p

Babyfine
September 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I love blonde hair-my Mom is a Swedish blonde(now silver/white). I have her complexion with my Dads brown hair and eyes.
But I discovered that I look best in my own natural color.
I did blonde hi-lights for several years and they trashed my hair(which is fine, fragile and wurly) and also I looked washed out.
My own light/medium chestnut brown looks best on me(now I'm going silver, that's another story) and my hair is so much healthier.
But I love blonde hair on others.