PDA

View Full Version : Combing hair in the shower... Y/N?

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Please forgive me if this question has already been posted. And if so, please direct me to the thread. I tried running a search but the words "comb" and "shower" brought up way too many results to go through all of them. So my question is this: Is it bad to comb your hair in the shower? I had thought that it supposedly caused you to lose hair (?), but I’ve seen so many people here at LHC talk about their shower combs that I’m wondering if that’s not really the case. So will combing your hair while you’re in the shower cause you to shed more hair than if you were to comb it while it was wet/damp (but no longer in the shower) or dry?

Or are shower combs for combing product through your hair while you just so happen to be in the shower (but maybe not standing under the water)? :confused: I’m so confused! TIA!

Silverbrumby
September 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Please forgive me if this question has already been posted. And if so, please direct me to the thread. I tried running a search but the words "comb" and "shower" brought up way too many results to go through all of them. So my question is this: Is it bad to comb your hair in the shower? I had thought that it supposedly caused you to lose hair (?), but I’ve seen so many people here at LHC talk about their shower combs that I’m wondering if that’s not really the case. So will combing your hair while you’re in the shower cause you to shed more hair than if you were to comb it while it was wet/damp (but no longer in the shower) or dry?

Or are shower combs for combing product through your hair while you just so happen to be in the shower (but maybe not standing under the water)? :confused: I’m so confused! TIA!

I hadn't thought of this. Lovely hair btw :) Looking forward to hearing the responses.

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I hadn't thought of this. Lovely hair btw :) Looking forward to hearing the responses.

Why, thank you! :D It hasn't been looking that good, lately, unfortunately. :( But whatevs, let's just wait for answers together! :p

DancingQueen
September 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I say no, but it is really very different what people do. I used to, but the strands of my hair became more thin and fragile, and broke off easier. I guess it makes pretty good sense, at least to me.

When your hair is wet, it is most fragile. And when you comb it wet, the comb will most likely damage your hair.

I don't know if this is true for all hair types, as you say, a lot of people do it every day. Maybe my curly hair is more fragile than other hair. :)

Suze2012
September 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
The only combiing I do is with conditioner on my hair but not with my head under the water and I only ever use my fingers to comb it through.

I never comb nor brush it at any other time.

ArienEllariel
September 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sometimes I comb with conditioner in the shower but I find if I do that my hair lays flatter to my head than if I had combed after getting out.

akilina
September 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM
As a hair dresser...it is very easy to comb out peoples hair in the shampoo bowl with conditioner on (very gently of course!!!)
For me No matter what...I can comb all I want in the shower..I am still gunna comb it once I get out :D I can't help it.

I think it can be debatable! Someone with hair like mine should not do it...The hair is more fragile when wet and when my hair is wet (I still have past damage on the ends of my layers) Some of my hair will literally just twist right off. Or stretch right off. It really sucks. So I try to avoid it and am as careful as possible.

owlathena
September 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I often comb my hair in the shower to distribute my conditioner, but I ALWAYS fully detanlge before I get my hair wet, so there are no tangles when I do comb it wet. I don't notice any more shedding than usual.

Angela_Rose
September 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I use my huge-tooth comb to detangle pre-shower, and I sometimes use it again to distribute my conditioner.

spidermom
September 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I do like owlathena.

Or not.

Madora
September 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Hair is weakest when it is wet but if you take extra care to comb SLOWLY and in small sections, you can do it. I did for years, while my hair was loaded with diluted conditioner.

However, after reading about detangling with mineral oil, which negates the necessity to rinse after detangling, I've started to detangle on damp (not dripping hair) after using just a few drops of MO on it.

I've been elated with the results, especially so since I don't have to spend extra time rinsing out, which is a big plus in my book. Additionally, the MO moisturizes, helps reduce frizz, and leaves my hair looking great.

I still follow my old routine as far as brushing thoroughly before stepping into the shower, plus the way I manipulate my fingerpads and my sectioning technique while shampooing. This cuts down on tangles...but not entirely. Hence the MO usage.

Shower combs can be used for distributing product (something I never did as I believe my fingerpads are more suitable) and they are also a good all around tool for creating updos.

palaeoqueen
September 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I comb mine in the shower with loads of conditioner on. If I comb afterwards I ruin my wave pattern but also I don't like to comb wet hair without product as hair is so fragile when wet.

tiny squirrel
September 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I comb mine in the shower with loads of conditioner on. If I comb afterwards I ruin my wave pattern

Me too. I started doing this after reading the Curly Girl book.

thatcrazychick
September 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I always comb my hair just before getting in the shower. Also, finger combing is my way of distributing conditioner through the length of my hair.

KwaveT
September 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Me personally I do no combing while my hair is wet since it is fragile in this state. I detangle before I get my hair wet. I spread conditioner on my hair and let it set for few minutes and then rinse. I get excellent curl in my hair.

afu
September 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I finger comb with conditioner on in the shower (head not under water). But my hair doesn't tend to get very tangled anyway so there's rarely much to detangle. If i do detangle I do it in the shower or on damp hair with fingers or a tangle teezer, never on dry hair unless im about to wash it because it turns curls to frizz

AineMuirne
September 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I use a Tangle Teezer in the shower to distribute conditioner and I brush my hair with it after I get out of the shower... I never have breakage.

Deborah
September 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Never. I think this is a bad time for any type of combing or brushing, so I never do it.

gillybeanxo3921
September 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I used to aggressively brush my hair in the shower. Back in the day, I was pretty terrible to my hair. No wonder I have so many splits!

I don't any more, but I think with a seamless comb, if you are gentle and use a lot of conditioner, you should be fine.

HylianGirl
September 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I comb my oiled hair before shower to detangle it, and finger comb it during the shower as I spread loads of conditioner through it to help get the conditioner to every strand, I use to comb after the shower, but stopped doing it since it rarellly has any knots after it, 'cause of the conditioner-assisted-fingercombing ^-^

starlamelissa
September 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM
i use a wet look shower comb to distribe conditoner. No breakage here. Unless I try to comb with my fingers, then ouchies and snapping.

dwell_in_safety
September 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I finger comb thoroughly, very gently. If I don't my hair is a MESS after it dries. I run through it once with a comb when it's damp to thoroughly distribute the jojoba oil I use as a leave-in, again very gently.

hermosamendoza
September 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I don't comb in te shower even if I do have conditioner because my hair breaks easier and I notice after a few times my hair suddenly has a lot of split ends

Kelikea
September 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I always brush my hair out before showering. I think it would be a rat's nest otherwise. I am all for combing in the shower while covered in conditioner. However:

1. I think turning off the water while detangling is a good idea. I hate wasting all the water while I comb. Then, I turn it back on and rinse. This is also better for curl formation, so I would use this method if showering in the morning or before an event, plop for a few, and leave it to air dry.

2. My shower stall is super tiny, so it is much easier to wait and comb immediately after getting out of the shower. I put a dollop of conditioner in a spray bottle of water to mist my hair with if it needs more slip. This is what I usually do, just because it seems a little easier/faster, especially at night or when its cold out. It does pull a little more curl out, but my hair usually ends "up" for work anyway.

Either way, I would lose about the same amount of hair. It gets combed wet either way, so...

jasper
September 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I always thought it was for combing product through. That's the only reason i ever had a comb in the showeR and it was a very wide tooth comb. I never do it myself any more at the length my hair currently is. It would take too long! If I turned off the water to do it, I would get cold. So for me, detanglimg happens after i am out of the shower.

I don't think it would cause more shedding, but it might release more already-shed hairs that were hanging in with my length. That could seem like more shedding but it would really just be parting with the shed hair at a different moment.

Chimom79
September 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I almost always have hair up or braided, so I dont have many tangles, but what I do is use a wide tooth or shower comb before I shower, then, afterwards, when I towel dry, gently, just squeezing out extra water, I spray on some oils on the length and ends and then Wide tooth comb again, then I leave it alone. So basically when I shampoo and condition in the shower I have no tangles, so I dont use a comb while in there. I do think though, if you have conditioner on your hair and its basically tangle free, it wont hurt to shower comb through it if you like. I have done it ages ago a few times. Just always be very gentle with wet hair.

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Wow, so many replies! Thanks, everybody!! :flower: The general consensus seems to be that combing conditioner through your hair in the shower with a wide tooth comb (seamless is best!) is a good thing.

I say no, but it is really very different what people do. I used to, but the strands of my hair became more thin and fragile, and broke off easier. I guess it makes pretty good sense, at least to me.

When your hair is wet, it is most fragile. And when you comb it wet, the comb will most likely damage your hair.

I don't know if this is true for all hair types, as you say, a lot of people do it every day. Maybe my curly hair is more fragile than other hair. :)

That was always my understanding of what would happen if you combed your hair while in the shower, that it would pull out more of your hair and damage your ends. It does seem to be an individual preference, though.

For me No matter what...I can comb all I want in the shower..I am still gunna comb it once I get out :D I can't help it.

Oh, I'd definitely comb it again, too! :) Probably several times, to be honest. My hair does not air-dry well if I don't comb through it a lot while it's just beginning to dry.

Hair is weakest when it is wet but if you take extra care to comb SLOWLY and in small sections, you can do it. I did for years, while my hair was loaded with diluted conditioner.

However, after reading about detangling with mineral oil, which negates the necessity to rinse after detangling, I've started to detangle on damp (not dripping hair) after using just a few drops of MO on it.

I've been elated with the results, especially so since I don't have to spend extra time rinsing out, which is a big plus in my book. Additionally, the MO moisturizes, helps reduce frizz, and leaves my hair looking great.

I still follow my old routine as far as brushing thoroughly before stepping into the shower, plus the way I manipulate my fingerpads and my sectioning technique while shampooing. This cuts down on tangles...but not entirely. Hence the MO usage.

Shower combs can be used for distributing product (something I never did as I believe my fingerpads are more suitable) and they are also a good all around tool for creating updos.
Thank you so much, Madora! I have been thinking a lot lately about switching to, or at least trying out, mineral oil instead of some of the other oils I've been using. The bottom part of my length and my ends are perpetually dry and I hate to think about perhaps having to cut it all off in order to start fresh with good, healthy hair. I'll definitely be picking up some mineral oil soon.

I comb mine in the shower with loads of conditioner on.
I will probably start doing this. I've been trying castor oil and as a result have tons of oil to wash out of my hair, and of course, the only thing that gets it out is tons of conditioner. I've had some trouble getting all of the oil out in one condition since there are always spots I missed. I bet that combing the conditioner through would solve that problem. Plus, judging from everyone else's responses, it seems to be the least damaging way to comb your hair in the shower. Thanks!

I finger comb with conditioner on in the shower (head not under water). But my hair doesn't tend to get very tangled anyway so there's rarely much to detangle. If i do detangle I do it in the shower or on damp hair with fingers or a tangle teezer, never on dry hair unless im about to wash it because it turns curls to frizz
My hair is the same in that I rarely get tangles when my hair is wet. I can usually run my comb straight through it post-shower. My ends tangle like crazy when my hair is dry, though! :-( Because my hair doesn't tangle when wet, though, I'm wondering if I even need to risk damage to my hair by combing in the shower unless I need to distribute a lot of conditioner.

HairySherry
September 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I don't comb in te shower even if I do have conditioner because my hair breaks easier and I notice after a few times my hair suddenly has a lot of split ends
I'm thinking this could be the case for me as well, but I'll more than likely try it on occasion when I have lots of oil in my hair. I'll have to see if I get splits - let's hope not!

I don't think it would cause more shedding, but it might release more already-shed hairs that were hanging in with my length. That could seem like more shedding but it would really just be parting with the shed hair at a different moment.
Yes, I was also wondering if this could be what people were calling 'more shedding.'

I do think though, if you have conditioner on your hair and its basically tangle free, it wont hurt to shower comb through it if you like. I have done it ages ago a few times. Just always be very gentle with wet hair.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking, too. :)

vanillabones
September 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I detangle and BBB before shower, and I use a wide tooth comb in the shower on what little ends I have to distribute conditioner, it only takes a second for me. I comb after the shower too with detangler and leave-in... I've never not tried doing this.... next time I will try not to comb after the shower - dunno if I can do it.

Rufflebutt
September 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM
It depends, if your hair is curly enough then you need to have the extra slip of water and conditioner. Drying to detangle curly hair dry just ends with a lot of broken hairs.

For me, I detangle when dry because my hair is straight and it's better for my hair than detangling wet. But I do finger comb a bit when a wash it.

Rhoward
September 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I don't but I'm still scared to look at my hair the wrong way, I swear it hasn't forgiven me yet!

jacqueline101
September 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I've pre combed before showering then comb while I've conditioner on to distribute it.

katfemme89
September 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I like to stand directly under the stream of water, and use my wide-toothed shower comb. The water rushing through it tends to work as a great de-tangler for me.

jeanniet
September 11th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Most curlies only detangle in the shower with conditioner because curly hair is too fragile to detangle dry. I've found that detangling with conditioner during CO is not only effective, but seems to last longer than detangling dry, and my hair tangles easily. I also use an oil/water spray mix for dry detangling (argan/camellia with a bit of castor oil--not mineral oil, which didn't work at all for me).

Angel Barchild
September 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Maybe it's just me, but my hair stays in what ever position it dries in. If I don't comb it when it's wet then it dries with my hair pointing in all different directions (I don't have curls or waves) it just dries looking terrible. My hair also tangles when it think about it to hard, even up, when it's time to come down it's tangled. My hair is only apl so combing the conditioner through my hair in the shower is easy.

mzBANGBANG
September 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I tried combing in the shower because I heard so many people talking about it. It ended up just pulling more hair out and was more damage than pay off for me. I always did it with a boat load of conditioner and gently, but it just was not for me. I'm convinced I do less damage with the blow dryer honestly (as for the flat iron... heck no, damage galore). Everyone's hair is different, and I've never had a problem with using the blow dryer on my hair, probably because I began trimming regularly.

I'd say it is worth a try to see how your hair reacts to it. Everything is :)

palaeoqueen
September 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Maybe it's just me, but my hair stays in what ever position it dries in. If I don't comb it when it's wet then it dries with my hair pointing in all different directions (I don't have curls or waves) it just dries looking terrible. My hair also tangles when it think about it to hard, even up, when it's time to come down it's tangled. My hair is only apl so combing the conditioner through my hair in the shower is easy.

I'm wavy not straight but I still agree with all this.

jen5972
September 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I comb conditioner through my hair in the shower with a wide toothed comb. I haven't noticed any breakage from it. I try and be very gentle when I comb it.

HairySherry
September 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, keep 'em coming! It really seems like, as with everything hair-related, it depends on the individual. I'm going to try it for distributing large amounts of conditioner through my hair and we'll see if it causes any damage.

LadyLongLocks
September 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
NO.
I have a shower comb but since my hair is an extreme length I hardly comb in the shower now. With all the weight of the water and conditioner, adding stress to it further by combing stretches the hair too much for me.

HairySherry
September 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
NO.
I have a shower comb but since my hair is an extreme length I hardly comb in the shower now. With all the weight of the water and conditioner, adding stress to it further by combing stretches the hair too much for me.

I can understand that. I probably won't end up combing my hair in the shower often - I'm a shedder and hate to do anything to make it worse since my hair is pretty thin as it is.

BTW, I've seen your YT page... LOVE your hair!!

lmfbs
September 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I detangle in the shower while all conditionery. I finger comb first to detangle, then comb with a real comb.

twoLs118
September 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
yes to combing in the shower

in my case i started to ONLY comb while covered in conditioner in the shower & then comb again right after getting out of the shower with a wide tooth comb... i never use a regular brush on dry hair

for me, it has made a real difference in my hair... i feel like i shed less & its less damaged at the ends!

Othala
September 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I comb my hair in the shower but only when it is slathered in conditioner and only with a saw-cut, seamless, wide-toothed Kent detangling comb. I actually love the whole conditioner combing process. It is my favorite aspect of hair care.

neko_kawaii
September 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I tried combing in the shower after reading Curly Girl, but even drenched in conditioner I can feel it pulling. *ouch* I have the same problem combing oiled hair. For some reason oil or water makes my hair stick to combs and fingers. So, I comb before oiling and then comb again when it is dry.

Kat
February 16th, 2018, 07:36 PM
*resurrecting*

I'm trying to figure out if combing my hair in the shower with conditioner in it will do me any good, harm my hair, or be a pointless exercise.

Sometimes I feel like when I put conditioner or oil in my hair, my hair clumps together (because I've gathered it in my hand to smooth the product along it) and the hair in the center of the clump doesn't get conditioner.* So I wondered if maybe combing the conditioner through would help.* However, I'm not sure if this would actually accomplish anything?* Does the comb actually grab the conditioner and distribute it through the hair, do you think, or am I just combing the clumps without actually redistributing the conditioner?* I also worry that all I'll do is comb the conditioner to the bottom of the strands and then out.

I could try to comb it before I put the conditioner in and then somehow smooth the conditioner on now that the strands are more separated, without all of the hair bunching together, but I feel like that might be too time-consuming or use too much product.* Also, my hair is pretty tangly on its own and I think trying to comb just wet without conditioner to add slip will probably just damage my hair.

For that matter, it's possible that wet-combing, even with conditioner, might damage my hair.* I tried it last shower and couldn't tell.* It didn't seem like my hair was being damaged (I didn't feel/hear snapping hairs or feel like hair was being stretched), and the shed hairs it produced probably wasn't much/any more than I would shed in the shower anyway, but I could be wrong.* Usually when I detangle my hair after a shower, I have to wait until it's at least only a bit damp (and then once I detangle, which I do with my fingers because finger-detangling is always more gently to my hair than even the widest-tooth comb), and then it does dry faster because the strands are separated (but trying to finger-comb when it's more wet only results in damage).

*Ahem* this whole idea of combing conditioner in the shower might also just have been an excuse to get a new comb... I already have a wide-tooth comb but I liked this set of two BETTER...* (I hate when that happens.* "My current brush/comb is just fine and does an okay job.* I do not need another one, to clutter up my life.* BUT THIS ONE IS SO COOL!"* I have thus far avoided buying a Tangle Teezer or Wet Brush, a bamboo paddle brush {BBBs do not do nice things for my hair, separating strands with combs works better, but if the combs work fine why would I need another brush?}, etc.)

school of fish
February 16th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Chiming in on the resurrected thread!

The idea of any kind of wet combing used to be disastrous for me - BUT - for the last 4 months or so I've been combing my conditioner through my hair as I'm rinsing it out and it's been brilliant for reducing my hair's natural cobwebby texture! There's been no out-of-ordinary shedding or breakage for me with this method - I've been very pleasantly surprised :)

In my case, my hair compresses SO much that it's hard to get conditioner into the centre strands when I apply it, and likewise it's hard to rinse it out cleanly once it's on. I think that's what the combing is achieving for me - the product is getting distributed more effectively through to sections where it hadn't been reaching, and then the rinse water is getting access to spots it couldn't get to previously.

Back when my hair was in more damaged condition it was too weak to handle wet combing - now, while still delicate, it's a lot more resilient and responds well :)

Groovy Granny
February 16th, 2018, 10:31 PM
YES ~ I have used the Conair wide tooth shower comb,BUT I much prefer the Vented Wet brush;.:love:
It distributes the conditioner more evenly and removes ALL the tangles or fairy knots that may develop.

Margarita
February 17th, 2018, 01:42 AM
I think is better to comb your hair in the shower with your fingers, especially when you have applied conditioner, as well as gently squeezing your conditioned hair to absorb the conditioner better :)

Simsy
February 17th, 2018, 02:15 AM
I detangle throughly before my shower, using a comb and tangle teaser. I aim to remove all the sheds and knots before I get anywhere near water.

I don’t comb in the shower, my hair tends to tangle and break even more if I try. Instead, I load my hair with conditioner while holding it in a big coil; then run my fingers down the coil gently working the conditioner into the coil with a massaging motion. Once I’m happy with it, the coil is wound up into a loose cinnibun and allowed to soak for a few minutes while I do other things. When I rinse, I again use my fingers to work the coil gently, same method as before. I pull sheds from the bottom of the coil gently; and only if they come easily.

When I get out, I squeeze most of the water out, then wrap that coil of hair in a piece of muslin cloth around my head for a while. I wait until it’s mostly damp before even attempting to detangle that mess.

chomsky
February 17th, 2018, 04:14 AM
Chiming in in another one of these threads, lol

Combing in the shower with conditioner distributes my conditioner nicely and gives me super moisturised and frizz-free curls.

I don't detangle before a shower because it'll tangle again in the shampooing process and I don't want to do a full detangle twice. It makes my scalp too tender.

The shed doesn't bother me because I know it's been trapped there for the week and it only seems like a lot because it's coming out all at once.

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 07:34 AM
I always wash, then wring / squeegee the water out, then separate my hair, before I apply conditioner. The conditioner can be easily spread and sticks to the hair. Never put slippery conditioner on soaking wet hair or you'll never distribute it fully before it globs off. I can get to every nook and cranny this way. I just smooth it over with hands.

school of fish
February 17th, 2018, 09:21 AM
As with all things, YMMV - conditioner actually adheres to my hair better when it's soaking wet than when it's been wrung/squeegeed :flower:

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 09:48 AM
As with all things, YMMV - conditioner actually adheres to my hair better when it's soaking wet than when it's been wrung/squeegeed :flower:

Really? Is it a YMMV thing? Mine just slides right out if I don't wring the water out first. Could be. :D

school of fish
February 17th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I grant that my hair really does seem to defy so many conventional wisdoms... ;) but yes, my hair really does take conditioner better when it's utterly sopping.

I think it may come back to that compressability quality my hair has - it needs the extra slip and slide of the water to get in to the centre strands. If I wring it out, the conditioner just sits on top of the outer edge. I think also this is where wet combing the conditioner out has been helping me - I do it during rinse out, and the slide of the water assisted by the comb allows the centre section to get accessed.

It's been my personal observation from contact on this board that pretty much *everything* is YMMV ;) Certainly my hair seems to behave that way... what can I say, my hair is stubborn in its desires, haha!!!

Kat
February 17th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I try not to put conditioner on super-wet hair, because I figure it will only drip out with the water as it drips. But if I wring out too much, it's harder to distribute conditioner and I have to use more (and don't know if that's an amount I literally need, or if it's just harder to distribute. Same for hair being too wet-- I don't use that much, but is it truly enough?).

chomsky
February 17th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I find it easier to squish the conditioner in when my hair is wet wet, I have more of a problem it sliding out of my hands than off my hair. :lol:

If I wring it out, neither my ROO nor my conditioner like to spread.

enting
February 17th, 2018, 11:23 AM
If I want to keep my curl pattern I would only detangle in the shower, with water streaming over my hair. I've tried turning the water off while detangling to save water and it takes much longer and is much more difficult. The water helps detangle my hair.

If I'm going to detangle when not sopping wet in the shower, it's going to be with a some oil and fully dry, and with a downgrade of about two or three degrees of curliness. If my hair gets wet while tangled the hairs dry in their tangled formation and become impossible knots once dried that way. Even if I can manage to detangle that mess when dry, each hair will stay kinked in the tangled shape and not look or feel very nice. Wet or very damp hair without water running over it is like glue with my hair, I cannot get a comb through it.

I never ever wring my hair in any fashion, I'm afraid of what it would do to it.

I do have some hair damage, I haven't yet figured out all the causes of my splits and breakage. If this is what's causing it I'll have to figure something else out for detangling. This is just what I've been doing and what seems to be the least damaging so far, I have no idea if this would be a good or bad idea for someone else. As mentioned, YMMV with this as with anything else.

nycelle
February 17th, 2018, 11:31 AM
I'm another one that would always use a WTC and detangle in the shower with a ton of conditioner. It was the only way to get all my knots out. Dry didn't work for me.

What's interesting is after changing back to my old shampoo and conditioner, and not detangling so my hair could be classified, I realized it wasn't as bad as it used to be. I was able to detangle dry, just using my fingers.

Then I used a clarifying shampoo and conditioner Thursday, and again didn't detangle, let dry and was able to finger comb whatever couple of knots I had.

So for now, I won't be detangling in the shower anymore. Hoping this lasts!

Hairkay
February 17th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I do own a shower comb though I rarely use it since I tend to wash my hair in plaits/braids or twists which keeps my hair from getting tangled up in the first place. I have noticed that getting hair drenched lets the tangles come out and sometimes a plait/braid or twists even unravel. I don't use conditioners to do this. I save hair masks for a once a week thing. I have sometimes combed my hair and styled it whilst sitting in the bath tub. Simple 2 cornrows or plaits crownbraid style that I can do as close to 10 minutes since that's my optimum time for a bath soak.

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I grant that my hair really does seem to defy so many conventional wisdoms... ;) but yes, my hair really does take conditioner better when it's utterly sopping.

I think it may come back to that compressability quality my hair has - it needs the extra slip and slide of the water to get in to the centre strands. If I wring it out, the conditioner just sits on top of the outer edge. I think also this is where wet combing the conditioner out has been helping me - I do it during rinse out, and the slide of the water assisted by the comb allows the centre section to get accessed.

It's been my personal observation from contact on this board that pretty much *everything* is YMMV ;) Certainly my hair seems to behave that way... what can I say, my hair is stubborn in its desires, haha!!!

I think I might give that one more try then... just for the heck of it. It's wash day anyway tomorrow, so. I'll do half wrung out, half wet. See what does best. I might surprise myself. :)

school of fish
February 17th, 2018, 04:05 PM
I think I might give that one more try then... just for the heck of it. It's wash day anyway tomorrow, so. I'll do half wrung out, half wet. See what does best. I might surprise myself. :)

I'll be curious to hear how it goes! I was surprised as all get out that it worked for me quite frankly, haha!! Don't even know why I tried it in the first place, just a whim I guess :p Let us know! :D

lapushka
February 17th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I'll be curious to hear how it goes! I was surprised as all get out that it worked for me quite frankly, haha!! Don't even know why I tried it in the first place, just a whim I guess :p Let us know! :D

I will! :D