PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructor (protein) for sun-damaged hair?

cooklaezo13
September 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
As you may know from my complaints on previous threads, the ends of my hair (3-4 inches) are badly bleached from exposure to a LOT of sun during the summer of 2011.
The ends don't have many splits or white dots, but they feel dry like straw ALL the time.
I've tried a lot of moisture treatments and heavy oilings with no effect on the dry ends. Does anyone here know if protein, like in a reconstructor, can help with sun damaged ends?
Any recipes or brand recommendations?
Thanks!

spidermom
September 10th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Good or bad, the effect is only temporary, so why not give it a go and see if it helps? I like Joico KPak Reconstructor. It's both protein and moisture.

Roscata
September 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Honestly "feeling like straw" doesn't sound like you need protein. Hair that needs protein is overly stretchy, gummy, transparent. I think you may have some build-up. If I were you, I'd clarify AND chelate (especially chelate if you have hard water or spent a lot of time in pools this summer), then follow up with an SMT. You can read more about how to identify what your hair needs here: Whats wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44). Good luck! :)

cooklaezo13
September 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Well my ends are transparent and can stretch a lot when wet. I've tried clarifying (just made them worse) but not chelating. I am lucky to have soft water and haven't been in a pool in years. I will read the hair diagnostic tips article.