PDA

View Full Version : Hair-toy free hairstyles

Sammie_holms
September 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hey Everyone,

I know a lot of you guys are hair-toy lovers and I am as well, but I routinely find myself in situations where an elastic or bobby pins are no where to be found. So, just out of curiosity, does anyone know any good hairstyles that can be put up without aid from these things for APL hair?

Madora
September 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM
If you want to keep it up you're going to have to rely on some kind of fastener. If you don't, it will come down.

MasCat
September 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I braid my hair, braiding something (thread, ribbon, scarf, grass) into last bumps and tying it off.

All hairstick things with makeshift hairsticks - paintbrush, pencil, twig

I would be creative.

You can also google some hairstyles, "lover's knot" styles when you tie your hair without elastics or anything, but this is not a secure updo.

piffyanne
September 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
You MIGHT be able to get the Aphrodite Knot http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97201 to stay, mayyybe, if your hair is NOT slippery, but it wouldn't hold up to much activity.

You might be able to work out a way to get the Elling Bun http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14032 to work, I don't know how much length is required to keep it secure, but it's the only bun I know of that can hold its own without securing it with external means. :shrug:

Both these styles would be pretty secure if you used even a few pins (on longer lengths, the Elling only needs 1 pin to turn it into the most ROCKSOLID thing ever, and it's very comfortable. If it doesn't work on your hair at this length, bookmark it and keep trying it as yoUr hair gets longer. :flower: )

Sagi1982
September 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
The nautilus bun comes to my mind... or the locked bee-butt bun. The interwoven braid style or the Amish bun will stay without pins as well.

elea
September 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
i have been caught out... i knot it where a pony tail would be and it stays through dancing.
no idea if it would work on a different length and non thin and layered hair mind....
might be worth a try

melusine963
September 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I find that a pencil works very well as a makeshift hairstick for styles like a nautilus bun.

piffyanne
September 14th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Ok, I JUST invented one accidentally.

And I'm super excited! :cheese:

The first bun I've ever made up.

First, make a knot with the tips of your hair.

Grasp all of your hair like you're going to make a ponytail. Loop the length up around your hand, then, with the loop around your palm still in place, wrap the unused length around the place the ponytail holder WOULD be (between your hand and scalp) until you get to the end of your rope, so to speak.

Pass the knot in the end of your hair through the loop your hand is, and it'll hold for a while. I haven't timed it on myself, but it's something.

You'll want to experiment with different numbers of fingers until you find the right size loop, I've got FT-long hair, and I use the whole palm and wrap three times to eat length. You'll need to use relatively more of your length to execute the style, but I think you might be able do it.